IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 06:04 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Hate to say it but you might be their favorite customer.....you got worked.

I've never paid for windshield washer fluid....you must have got the gold flake edition. Power clean fuel? I'd assume that's a bottle of fuel additive. Completely useless.

I have done all my fluid services myself and never had an issue with warranty claim. They cannot make you go to the dealership to honor a warranty. I keep good track of receipts and have an excel sheet build out to log my maintenance. Never a question. I take mine in at the 30k intervals and have them do the brake fluid flush & transmission drain and fills for my LX. Give them a chance to do the 160+ point inspection. Several Lexus dealers on Ebay selling OEM filters and wiper blades to save some significant money.
Old 07-16-23, 06:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Anyways, circling back to the fuel pump, I do also think there's something to the theory that the root problem is something other than the fuel pump. Hopefully it's not true, as this would mean another replacement that does not solve the issue. I'm not sure what else would've caused "sputtering" and the engine to shut off.

Re-reading the earlier posts in this thread now, one thing stood out to me as being somewhat odd.

Originally Posted by Mydogboo12
Hi Everybody,
Happy holidays to all. My car broke down last night In a shopping plaza next to my condo, I think It may be the fuel pump again that I had replaced a year ago, the car Is not driveable and Is now at my dealership after being towed, it is launch number 37 out of all of my Lexus cars that I have leased and this car Is the first that I have owned from Lexus this car has given me the most problems and I just had a major tune-up 2 weeks ago. Does anybody have any thoughts on what It could be from my photos?
I am curious. What is a "tune-up", or what was included in this service you are calling a tune-up?
Old 07-16-23, 07:12 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
In the event something goes wrong on a 100% dealer serviced Lexus, you can simply say ‘Fix it’ with no drama.

In reference to the blades sure I could switch them out on my own at a cheaper price; however, if the set you bought squeak they cannot be returned. On my 2016, Lexus replaced them twice because I heard a slight noise. If I went to AutoZone, PepBoys, etc., the response would have been: “Okay and? Cash, check, or charge?” 😒😂

Obviously there’s a markup on goods and services, but it accompanies an extra level of care (and expectation) as well. This is my 5th Lexus, I know what’s up. 😉
I just did an oil change too and your dealer actually charges less than mine, by A LOT.

That same list was nearly $600 here. The only parts they would have replaced were the oil/filter, but the "inspections" added another 400 bucks. They have a "new system" and I think it's a rip off of a system. They even told me I NEEDED diff fluid replaced! The owners manual disagreed. I did make a comment about how their prices have gone up since my last visit and the service writer flat out agreed and said "yeah, they've gone up a lot, and just wait until next year it's going to get even worse."

I drive an hour each way to deal with that crap... I've been doing it for 10 years and I'm kind of tired of it. Plus we have THREE Lexus vehicles in the family that I take care of! I hate making the trip to the dealer more and more every time I do it. I miss how easy the Vette was, literally 2 minutes from my house...
Old 07-16-23, 07:25 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Anyways, circling back to the fuel pump, I do also think there's something to the theory that the root problem is something other than the fuel pump. Hopefully it's not true, as this would mean another replacement that does not solve the issue. I'm not sure what else would've caused "sputtering" and the engine to shut off.

Re-reading the earlier posts in this thread now, one thing stood out to me as being somewhat odd.

I am curious. What is a "tune-up", or what was included in this service you are calling a tune-up?
Agreed - what was done for the "tune up" and who performed it? 2 fuel pump failures is odd but not impossible. Are you putting top tier gas in?
Old 07-16-23, 07:26 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
Hate to say it but you might be their favorite customer.....you got worked.
Well…I’m not going to cite past perks and whatnot here, but it’s been a mutual ‘working’ the last 10+ years. So…..hopefully the post will give folks a reference point to à la carte the services. 😎

Originally Posted by 95bat
I did make a comment about how their prices have gone up since my last visit and the service writer flat out agreed and said "yeah, they've gone up a lot, and just wait until next year it's going to get even worse."

I drive an hour each way to deal with that crap... I've been doing it for 10 years and I'm kind of tired of it. Plus we have THREE Lexus vehicles in the family that I take care of!
Oh my God, that’s freaking crap! I’m guessing they’re the only game in town. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤬 Thankfully there’s a dealer on every other block around here. Good luck!
Old 07-16-23, 11:53 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

Agreed - what was done for the "tune up" and who performed it? 2 fuel pump failures is odd but not impossible. Are you putting top tier gas in?
Top tier vs non top tier gas wouldn't cause a fuel pump failure. It would pull your KCLV way down if the octane wasn't what it was advertised as, but thats about it.

Or if there was crap in the stations tank, but that can happen to top tier stations as well.
The following users liked this post:
jsch222 (07-16-23)
Old 07-16-23, 12:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^No, not really - To be a Top Tier rated gasoline you need additives and detergents in the fuel not required in other brands:

Old 07-16-23, 01:06 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^No, not really - To be a Top Tier rated gasoline you need additives and detergents in the fuel not required in other brands:

Of course, but thats not the point I was making. I don't disagree with you. The point I was making was that a load of 87 could've been dropped in the 91/93 tank. Resulting in a lowered KCLV. Again, wouldn't cause a fuel pump failure. Even a lack of detergent in a fuel wouldn't cause a failure, whether its from a top tier station that got the wrong load, or from a non top tier station. The only way I can imagine this being a fuel station fault is literal crap in the tank. This hits close to home for me, should for you too. Scottsdale and Mckellips e85 station has been destroying cars lately. Fuel socks are full of what resembles Elmers glue.

My point is, top tier or not, the fuel wouldn't cause a failure unless it was contaminated.
Old 07-16-23, 09:29 PM
hen555
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if bad gas it shouldn’t cause a fuel pump to fail twice…would first notice poor performance while driving such as engine hesitation, maybe knocking.

If you had the same underglow light wiring work done during both fuel pump failures then I think it could be that. I’m not electrical savvy but maybe a diode is needed to prevent reverse current.

See if Toyota can do a tear down of the pump to determine root cause. Also contact corporate and tell them your not happy to get compensation. Possibly they did not install the latest fuel pump well as I don’t think Toyota Lexus techs are used to replacing them.
Old 07-17-23, 03:58 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
See if Toyota can do a tear down of the pump to determine root cause. Also contact corporate and tell them your not happy to get compensation. Possibly they did not install the latest fuel pump well as I don’t think Toyota Lexus techs are used to replacing them.
This is a really great point! Although that type of snafu would be seen as an “oh crap dude!” internally, but to the customer: “No we installed the proper item, it was just bad luck.”
Old 07-17-23, 08:15 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by hen555
Even if bad gas it shouldn’t cause a fuel pump to fail twice…would first notice poor performance while driving such as engine hesitation, maybe knocking.

If you had the same underglow light wiring work done during both fuel pump failures then I think it could be that. I’m not electrical savvy but maybe a diode is needed to prevent reverse current.

Lexus/Toyota techs are VERY used to replacing fuel pumps. Lexus/Toyota had one of the biggest fuel pump recalls in the entire automotive industry in the last few years.

Lexus already takes back faulty warrantied parts to tear them down. When cylinder heads get replaced on new cars, they're sent off and inspected. Pretty sure the same happens with other warrantied parts.

The underflow wiring is probably unrelated unless OP wrapped the conductor around fuse legs in the fusebox and its connecting two unrelated circuits, but again, unlikely.
Old 07-17-23, 08:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

I am still wondering what the "tune-up" was.

Top Tier gas shouldn't matter for a new car anyway. Yes, it would be better for the lifespan of the engine to use Top Tier fuel, but it shouldn't have much effect on the fuel pump... again, especially given how new it is.
The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (07-17-23)
Old 07-27-23, 04:21 AM
Mydogboo12
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Might be another issue than fuel pump

Hi Everyone
I finally told my dealer that I had put interior led lights and underglow lights on my car before it stalled on June 30th the underglow was done on June 28th. They are going to speak to the installers who i had do my lights to see if they did something to the car when they did the led install? Hopefully they did not ruin my car if this is the problem? If it's turns out to be the fuel pump again parts won't be avaiable till August 15th meaning did not have my car the whole summer? Will keep everyone informed.
Old 07-27-23, 05:53 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Mydogboo12
Hi Everyone
I finally told my dealer that I had put interior led lights and underglow lights on my car before it stalled on June 30th the underglow was done on June 28th. They are going to speak to the installers who i had do my lights to see if they did something to the car when they did the led install? Hopefully they did not ruin my car if this is the problem? If it's turns out to be the fuel pump again parts won't be avaiable till August 15th meaning did not have my car the whole summer? Will keep everyone informed.
I gotta ask.... why? Why tell them if they feel they found the root cause and they are just waiting for parts? Now they are likely going to use this again you to deny any sort of electrical work on the vehicle...
Old 07-27-23, 08:05 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I gotta ask.... why? Why tell them if they feel they found the root cause and they are just waiting for parts? Now they are likely going to use this again you to deny any sort of electrical work on the vehicle...
Lol exactly my thoughts. I'd love to hear what happened and give the OP the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe he has a great explanation.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump