IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Does an RC radio and climate panel fit in an IS 500?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 12:09 PM
Vendetta
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Does an RC radio and climate panel fit in an IS 500?

Has anyone tried swapping the radio and climate panels from an RC into an IS 500? They look pretty similar and I prefer the matte finish over the gloss in our cars.
Old 07-31-23, 12:19 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

It honestly looks like it has exactly the same dimensions. What I'm curious about is why guys like Elvin Carbon Fiber or whatever their name is never makes a replacement piece in carbon fiber for this center stack. Seriously it doesn't exist.
Old 07-31-23, 12:20 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Has anyone tried swapping the radio and climate panels from an RC into an IS 500? They look pretty similar and I prefer the matte finish over the gloss in our cars.
It would physically fit, yes, but the RC climate controls are different than the IS. The RC has an auto option for recirc/fresh air. Not to mention, the radio is definitely different too. You have a different screen setup in the IS than the RC. I suppose if it was a 2023 RC then it would work.

Unfortunately its not just the panel that can be replaced, its the whole unit behind it too.
Old 07-31-23, 12:22 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

The panel in my 2015 IS was matte black, I'm like 99% sure it's exactly the same thing. Try cross referencing part numbers!
Old 07-31-23, 01:06 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pittsy
It would physically fit, yes, but the RC climate controls are different than the IS. The RC has an auto option for recirc/fresh air. Not to mention, the radio is definitely different too. You have a different screen setup in the IS than the RC. I suppose if it was a 2023 RC then it would work.

Unfortunately its not just the panel that can be replaced, its the whole unit behind it too.
The buttons and what they do has nothing to do with the panel though.
The radio is not different too.

Old 07-31-23, 01:26 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by macmaster
The buttons and what they do has nothing to do with the panel though.
The radio is not different too.
to my knowledge, the panel cannot be removed. The climate control panel, even if it could be removed, isn’t the right shape since the recirc/fresh air buttons are molded together on the RC and separate on the IS.

the radio is probably different because of the different screen resolutions. I tried swapping a 2018 radio into a 2015 in the RC and the radios are wildly different. There’s a reason the part numbers are different.
Old 07-31-23, 01:58 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

to my knowledge, the panel cannot be removed. The climate control panel, even if it could be removed, isn’t the right shape since the recirc/fresh air buttons are molded together on the RC and separate on the IS.

the radio is probably different because of the different screen resolutions. I tried swapping a 2018 radio into a 2015 in the RC and the radios are wildly different. There’s a reason the part numbers are different.
That it can't be removed would explain why those aftermarket carbon fiber companies don't have a replacement part for this.
Old 07-31-23, 02:01 PM
Pittsy
Racer

That it can't be removed would explain why those aftermarket carbon fiber companies don't have a replacement part for this.
Yep. Only overlays.
Old 07-31-23, 02:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Is there any way to wrap it in a matte-black vinyl without removing it?
Old 07-31-23, 02:21 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
Is there any way to wrap it in a matte-black vinyl without removing it?
The sucky part of this is that you'd be covering up the name plates for the different buttons and stuff. And then there's the touch sensitive sliders to adjust temperature that'd you'd have to wrap around. With how much use those receive, it would probably start pulling up the vinyl in a few weeks.
Old 07-31-23, 02:24 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Lol I never realized how difficult this is to replace. Man they really screwed us over with the gloss black.
Old 07-31-23, 02:25 PM
Pittsy
Racer

lol no. You'd have to template it so that those buttons are still exposed. That's what I'm asking. Is that possible?
Probably, but then you'd have unsightly squares of piano black where the labels are. I guess you could print out a matte black vinyl with the labels printed on them as well and then wrap it over with that. Probably the best solution if OP is serious about this. Probably the least expensive too.
Old 07-31-23, 02:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The sucky part of this is that you'd be covering up the name plates for the different buttons and stuff. And then there's the touch sensitive sliders to adjust temperature that'd you'd have to wrap around. With how much use those receive, it would probably start pulling up the vinyl in a few weeks.
I wonder if you could template it so that the labels are on the vinyl somehow. It would be a lot of work.

Probably, but then you'd have unsightly squares of piano black where the labels are. I guess you could print out a matte black vinyl with the labels printed on them as well and then wrap it over with that. Probably the best solution if OP is serious about this. Probably the least expensive too.
Yeah my bad, I think my brain skipped a beat there. That would not work. You'd need to print the labels onto the vinyl.
Old 07-31-23, 02:26 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Lol I never realized how difficult this is to replace. Man they really screwed us over with the gloss black.
Idk, im a fan of the Piano Black. But to each their own.
Old 07-31-23, 02:26 PM
Pittsy
Racer

I wonder if you could template it so that the labels are on the vinyl somehow. It would be a lot of work.
A lot of work maybe, but a huge save of money.

Quick Reply: Does an RC radio and climate panel fit in an IS 500?