IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Dealer says I have bad fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 06:46 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHorns
I always top off when I fill up. And the warning light came on with about a half tank used. No odd engine performance.

Chevron cleaner is put in at a fill up.

I used Buccee's and HEB gas in my BMW 335is with no problems. Seriously doubt them not being "top tier" is the problem.
Topping off fuel is bad, and you should not do it. It probably does not explain why you are having these issues, but it can lead to other issues later on.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...k-a1176503026/

Also, you said you use Chevron after an oil change prior. Did you mean after every fill-up?

I also use the Chevron Fuel System cleaner after each oil change.
I am not saying any of these things are causing the issue you're seeing - most likely it's something to do with injectors or, as others have suggested, the fuel pump. But, I also strongly suggest NOT topping off your fuel or running sub-par gas.

Definitely recommend testing the fuel as suggested also.
Old 08-08-23, 06:56 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

The stuff is already in there, I say take a long drive, run it out to empty, and fill it up with Chevron…minus additional additives. Their gas has cleaners the others do not. Hopefully the sensor will go off after you’ve made it through enough of the tank. Then stick to Shell/BP 98% of the time and the occasional Chevron for the other 2%. My personal opinion is you should leave the additives and not-so-top tier gas for the jalopies of the world.
Old 08-08-23, 07:01 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

I do the top tier gas from QT or Costco. When those are not an option I'll do HEB
I have never had any fuel issues due to fuel. I have had a fuel pump go out on my Supra years ago.
Old 08-08-23, 07:09 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Infrared500
Doubt there's alot of assumptions going on, it is very easy to take a fuel sample and prove it. This would not be covered under warranty.
OP specifically said “Dealer said that the codes indicate bad fuel” NOT “the fuel sample we took showed bad fuel”

Dont know why you’re arguing me on this.

Last edited by macmaster; 08-08-23 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 08:24 AM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

With regards to "topping off", I meant that I merely fill it up when I refuel. I do not go for the few extra squeezes.

The Chevron fuel system cleaner is added to the gas tank at fill-up every 5,000 miles, i.e., after every oil change.

I doubt there is water in the tank because I burned through over half a tank of gas between last fill up and getting the check engine light. And then burned through another quarter tank between the check engine light and refueling on the way to the dealer. If there was water in the tank, the car would have started experiencing symptoms right away and would have gotten worse. I never experienced any symptoms associated with water in the gas tank.

The dealer is claiming that it is a bad "batch" of fuel causing the problem. As far as I know, the dealer has not tested the fuel. The dealer has not stated the codes are from long-term use of a particular type of fuel. You can get a tainted "batch" of fuel from Shell just as easily as you can from any station. So I fail to see how the choice of gas station caused the bad/tainted fuel if that is the problem.

Based on the codes, I think it is more likely that I have a fuel pump that is starting to fail.

The following 2 users liked this post by GoHorns:
arentz07 (08-08-23), BearWithMe (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 08:28 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

With regards to "topping off", I meant that I merely fill it up when I refuel. I do not go for the few extra squeezes.

The Chevron fuel system cleaner is added to the gas tank at fill-up every 5,000 miles, i.e., after every oil change.

I doubt there is water in the tank because I burned through over half a tank of gas between last fill up and getting the check engine light. And then burned through another quarter tank between the check engine light and refueling on the way to the dealer. If there was water in the tank, the car would have started experiencing symptoms right away and would have gotten worse. I never experienced any symptoms associated with water in the gas tank.

The dealer is claiming that it is a bad "batch" of fuel causing the problem. As far as I know, the dealer has not tested the fuel. The dealer has not stated the codes are from long-term use of a particular type of fuel. You can get a tainted "batch" of fuel from Shell just as easily as you can from any station. So I fail to see how the choice of gas station caused the bad/tainted fuel if that is the problem.

Based on the codes, I think it is more likely that I have a fuel pump that is starting to fail.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Like I said, take your car somewhere else.
The following users liked this post:
BearWithMe (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 08:36 AM
Infrared500
Rookie

Received 86 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
OP specifically said “Dealer said that the codes indicate bad fuel” NOT “the fuel sample we took showed bad fuel”

Dont know why you’re arguing me on this.
Because indications and comfirmations are two different things. I have personally diagnosed fuel issues this way while working at Lexus. Never presented the fuel sample unless asked. What makes you the expert you seem to not know much on the subject of diagnosis as a whole.

Last edited by Infrared500; 08-08-23 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-23, 08:45 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Because indications and comfirmations are two different things. I have personally diagnosed fuel issues this way while working at Lexus. Never presented the fuel sample unless asked. What makes you the expert you seem to not know much on the subject of diagnosis as a whole.
It would be great, either way, to have some fuel testing done. Though, if it is a bad batch, this may very well be a transient issue.
Old 08-08-23, 08:48 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Mac is certainly an expert on bad gas 😁

It seems like $700 is excessive to drain the tank. Maybe they're going to remove and empty it, which is a pain. I would want proof for sure that the gas is bad before paying $700, I don't trust the technicians that much.
The following 6 users liked this post by 95bat:
arentz07 (08-08-23), DLPTony (08-08-23), Fleuger99 (08-08-23), jsch222 (08-08-23), macmaster (08-08-23), TipsyTonio (08-08-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-23, 09:55 AM
Infrared500
Rookie

Received 86 Likes on 16 Posts

Got a check engine warning light. All the warnings said parking brake malfunction and traction control off. Dealer said that the codes indicate I have bad fuel in the tank. I buy my fuel mainly from Buccee's and HEB (large grocery chain in Texas), and always buy premium. I also use the Chevron Fuel System cleaner after each oil change.

The codes were following:
  • P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
  • P0174 - System too lean Bank 2
  • P1170 - Fuel performance port injector
Dealer wants $700 to drain the fuel tank and to put in new fuel. I got the check engine light two weeks ago right before I was leaving for vacation. On the way to the dealer today I put in about 12 gallons of gas. So if there was bad fuel, it should have been diluted. So I asked the dealer to clear the codes and drive it to see if they codes come back. Will hear back in the morning because I just spoke with them about it.

Current mileage is 32,000. It is a 2022.

Anyone else gotten these codes?
Codes P0171 and P0174 alone would mean either too much air or not enough fuel. Adding P1170 for the port injector leads one to believe it's fuel and not air related (Vacuum leak). Port injector alone wouldn't lean out the whole engine as its primary purpose is to stop carbon build up on the back of the valves which means the direct injection system is being affected as well. So that leads one to think fuel pump(read pressure) or fuel quality. Next would be to look at live data via scan tool to monitor fuel rail / line pressure and fuel trims. if rail pressure is fine then it is time to take a fuel sample, which takes 5 minutes done at the fuel rail / regulator etc. to confirm contaminated fuel. Very easy to diagnose. Sample is usually taken in a clear container (Plastic) and cannot be kept for long periods as gasoline will eat the container.

Last edited by Infrared500; 08-08-23 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Infrared500:
arentz07 (08-08-23), GoHorns (08-09-23)
Old 08-08-23, 10:39 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 354 Likes on 161 Posts

Regarding fuel purchased from third party gas service stations. The reason they sell fuel in the first place is to provide a fuel that is slightly cheaper than the franchise brands. To do this they purchase fuel from smaller oil companies or fuel that has a left a refinery that does not meet franchise requirements. The fuel is still good, they are just not going to put their name on it. The refineries sell this fuel directly or through vendors to HEB ,wal mart , Costco what have you to minimize their loss. The fuel is cheaper for a reason. Many times and most all of the time there will be no problem. But these things do happen. It is cheaper for a reason and a reason the franchise brands do not want to put their name on it. This is not my opinion. I live in the largest refinery state, Louisiana. Al the time people tell me to never buy fuel from non franchise brands. You never l ow what you are going to get. To add insult to injury, many franchised stations are independently owned. To make more money they will purchase a portion of their fuel from these third party vendors. It is not to the liking of the brand, but their hands are tied to some degree. Bottomline, their is a reason it is cheaper.
typed on my I phone sorry for the typos
The following 3 users liked this post by MYIS500:
arentz07 (08-08-23), DLPTony (08-08-23), Infrared500 (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 06:12 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

I am in the O&G industry. All the gas comes from the same refineries. Oil companies sell raw crude to refineries. Refineries are not mom and pop operations or small oil companies. They refine the crude and make the gasoline that is sold to distributors. What differentiates Shell from Chevron from HEB are the additives that Shell and Chevron add to the fuel at their respective terminals tat supply their franchisees.

When you buy branded gas, you are paying for advertising and additives. You are not paying for higher quality refining.
The following users liked this post:
Fleuger99 (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 07:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^That is true, but the additives and detergents are what earn the branded fuel the top tier rating. Those additives and detergents are supposed prevent carbon residue and other performance-robbing deposits from building up on fuel injectors, intake valves, and in combustion chambers.

In
regards to the "bad gas". There is nothing that says that fuel can not get contaminated when residing in those underground tanks.
The following 5 users liked this post by flowrider:
arentz07 (08-08-23), Carolina50 (08-08-23), DLPTony (08-09-23), Fleuger99 (08-08-23), MYIS500 (08-09-23)
Old 08-08-23, 07:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^That is true, but the additives and detergents are what earn the branded fuel the top tier rating. Those additives and detergents are supposed prevent carbon residue and other performance-robbing deposits from building up on fuel injectors, intake valves, and in combustion chambers.
I'll just leave this study by AAA here.
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...ull-Report.pdf

The point wasn't to do with the supposed quality of the refined fuel, but the additive packages.

Last edited by arentz07; 08-09-23 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-09-23, 03:07 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'll just leave this study by AAA here.
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...ull-Report.pdf

The point wasn't to do with the supposed quality of the refined fuel, but the additive packages.
Cant read it, I’m promoted to join AAA. (Via my cell at least.)

Quick Reply: Dealer says I have bad fuel