IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Dealer says I have bad fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23 | 02:53 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Default Dealer says I have bad fuel

Got a check engine warning light. All the warnings said parking brake malfunction and traction control off. Dealer said that the codes indicate I have bad fuel in the tank. I buy my fuel mainly from Buccee's and HEB (large grocery chain in Texas), and always buy premium. I also use the Chevron Fuel System cleaner after each oil change.

The codes were following:
  • P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
  • P0174 - System too lean Bank 2
  • P1170 - Fuel performance port injector
Dealer wants $700 to drain the fuel tank and to put in new fuel. I got the check engine light two weeks ago right before I was leaving for vacation. On the way to the dealer today I put in about 12 gallons of gas. So if there was bad fuel, it should have been diluted. So I asked the dealer to clear the codes and drive it to see if they codes come back. Will hear back in the morning because I just spoke with them about it.

Current mileage is 32,000. It is a 2022.

Anyone else gotten these codes?
Old 08-07-23 | 03:04 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Has this dealership ever heard of a warranty? I'd go elsewhere.
Old 08-07-23 | 03:31 PM
jororo
Advanced

If bad gas I’d imagine the GMs at the Buccees/HEB might be aware of it, or maybe TDLR has received complaints from one of the fuel stations you use? Guessing a regular mechanic could test your fuel easily or perhaps Autozone/etc sells a fuel testing kit?

If not, and more as a shot in the dark, could it be that the fuel system cleaner might be throwing things off it happened to be added to a low fuel tank after an oil change? Guessing you wait until fill up to add it but worth asking.

Edit - also could buy an oil extractor to get the fuel out yourself. I have this one and so far works great. http://a.co/d/0CrHQ4S

Last edited by jororo; 08-07-23 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-07-23 | 03:59 PM
Fleuger99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
Has this dealership ever heard of a warranty? I'd go elsewhere.
If he has water in his fuel, that will not be covered by his warranty LOL!
Old 08-07-23 | 04:04 PM
Fleuger99
Pit Crew

In 2002 I had fueled up and had warning light as well as odd engine performance when accelerating. Took into the VW dealer I bought the Passat from in Cincinnati and they were nice enough to drain the fuel and put a gallon in for me to get to a gas station. I was told I was lucky my fuel injector's were not damaged as that would have cost $2K back then. I never went back to the gas station I did my last fill up at. Don't drive it with contaminated fuel, it could just damage more parts. Tow it to someone who can drain it for you and hope that, that resolves the issue. Good luck.
Old 08-07-23 | 04:39 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

do our cars have anti-siphoning fill caps? Other wise i'd jus siphon my own gas out 1 gallon at a time. Put a gallon into my lawn mower maybe. I'd imagine that the disposal of gasoline is an issue and costly. Maybe the gas station will take it back to dispose.
Old 08-07-23 | 04:41 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fleuger99
however i'd like for certain some kind of warranty work. If they siphone the gas and refill and the issue goes away then charge me, if not then it's something else with warranty and the draining of the gas is simply their warranty troublehsooting they have to eat.
Old 08-07-23 | 05:10 PM
arentz07

I don't think Buc-cee's or HEB sell Top Tier fuel. Maybe it's worth hitting up your local Chevron/Shell/BP etc. instead to see if it makes a difference? You wouldn't need that Fuel System Cleaner if you did use Top Tier fuel. Totally unnecessary.

Having said that, could it be that an injector itself is to blame? Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.
Old 08-07-23 | 05:58 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

I always top off when I fill up. And the warning light came on with about a half tank used. No odd engine performance.

Chevron cleaner is put in at a fill up.

I used Buccee's and HEB gas in my BMW 335is with no problems. Seriously doubt them not being "top tier" is the problem.

Old 08-07-23 | 06:21 PM
BearWithMe
8th Gear

Tell the dealer to either test the fuel for water content or start thinking about another solution. You might also point them to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-driving.html
Old 08-07-23 | 06:41 PM
Fleuger99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
however i'd like for certain some kind of warranty work. If they siphone the gas and refill and the issue goes away then charge me, if not then it's something else with warranty and the draining of the gas is simply their warranty troublehsooting they have to eat.
Perhaps but what if draining the gas and nothing changes because the fuel injectors or some other part of the fuel system was damaged due to water contamination? I'm not saying they shouldn't look into it, just knowing the total lack of good customer service from most stealerships I'm not surprised they didn't look into it. Truly good dealers are far and few between.
Old 08-07-23 | 08:18 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fleuger99
But it doesnt sound like they proved it was the fuel. Sounds like they saw the codes and are making an assumption. At least thats how the OP makes it sound.
The following users liked this post:
BearWithMe (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23 | 08:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

There are pour in tank additives that break up water. I would add then let that fuel burn out. Even if just sitting idling depending on how much fuel is in there? FYI: It's been proven in test and engine test tear down. Shell is the best fuel with the special brew engine and system cleaning. Sunoco is next and has a better performance octane. .
Old 08-08-23 | 06:10 AM
Infrared500
Rookie

Originally Posted by macmaster
But it doesnt sound like they proved it was the fuel. Sounds like they saw the codes and are making an assumption. At least thats how the OP makes it sound.
Doubt there's alot of assumptions going on, it is very easy to take a fuel sample and prove it. This would not be covered under warranty.
Old 08-08-23 | 06:16 AM
Infrared500
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHorns
Got a check engine warning light. All the warnings said parking brake malfunction and traction control off. Dealer said that the codes indicate I have bad fuel in the tank. I buy my fuel mainly from Buccee's and HEB (large grocery chain in Texas), and always buy premium. I also use the Chevron Fuel System cleaner after each oil change.

The codes were following:
  • P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
  • P0174 - System too lean Bank 2
  • P1170 - Fuel performance port injector
Dealer wants $700 to drain the fuel tank and to put in new fuel. I got the check engine light two weeks ago right before I was leaving for vacation. On the way to the dealer today I put in about 12 gallons of gas. So if there was bad fuel, it should have been diluted. So I asked the dealer to clear the codes and drive it to see if they codes come back. Will hear back in the morning because I just spoke with them about it.

Current mileage is 32,000. It is a 2022.

Anyone else gotten these codes?
Adding fuel will not dilute the problem as the 2 will not mix as the density of water is greater than fuel and it will sink to the bottom where the sock for the fuel pump is. This is precisely why a fuel sample is the easiest way to prove this as they will not mix in the sample you take as well.

Last edited by Infrared500; 08-08-23 at 06:20 AM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply: Dealer says I have bad fuel