IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Power mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 08:41 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Toyota/Lexus have reliability goals that will ultimately not let them go beyond a certain point. Sure the engine could make more power but Toyota/Lexus at the time deemed where it is the best they can do without sacrificing goals. They are not revisiting the motor again most likely as it's DOA in their lineup shortly so we are not likely to see any further increase in power. The Z06 motor is made by a company who does not share the same reliability targets Toyota has. Having said that the Z06 when running is an amazing car.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (08-17-23)
Old 08-14-23, 08:47 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I think Corvette took reliability into account when they built a car designed to be beat on at the track. I get what you're saying, but that's also why the Z06 will go down as a great V8 that was a fitting swan song for the engine type while the same won't be said of the Lexus/Toyota V8. Reliability doesn't drop panties.
Old 08-14-23, 09:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Y'all also realize that the 2UR-GSE is derived from the 1UR-FSE, which is an engine originally conceived as a power plant for a big luxury sedan, the LS. They worked with that existing platform and created the 2UR from its foundation. If it was designed as a ground-up performance engine, it might be different. However, I think 472 horses from 5.0 liters is pretty good. And, it's not like the engine has no torque throughout the rev range. Unlike the BMW S63 engine or the Audi CFSA 4.2-liter V-8, it has the displacement to have some torque in the mid-range. Those cars are a lot more anemic down-low - though they also rev to over 8,000 RPM. I think we get a good trade-off here, especially in an application like the IS 500, which is meant to be a sort of daily driver.

Anywho... probably best to stay on topic. Just felt like adding my two cents on the whole discussion of how the 2UR fits in.
The following 3 users liked this post by arentz07:
Bechtold (08-14-23), DLPTony (08-17-23), timmah427 (08-15-23)
Old 08-14-23, 09:28 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

I have zero issues with the engine for the reasons you've said.
Old 08-14-23, 10:11 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

@AmbyBomb search for examples of significant power additions and you'll find people increasing displacement a half liter for about 50HP along with all the bolt ons, it get's expensive for an extra 100HP. The old BMW M3 made this kind of power from 4.0 Liters but that also had less torque and a higher redline as well. The ZO6 Flat plane crank actually has a redline of 8,600 rpm. that's crazy high. More google searching i found this post too 2URGSE with 8500 redline. It's just very cost prohibitive to get more than you would be able to with a turbo or supercharged car that gets cheap gains with a simple pully change or tune to get more from the forced induction.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...m-redline.html
Old 08-14-23, 10:23 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarthCholo
@AmbyBomb search for examples of significant power additions and you'll find people increasing displacement a half liter for about 50HP along with all the bolt ons, it get's expensive for an extra 100HP. The old BMW M3 made this kind of power from 4.0 Liters but that also had less torque and a higher redline as well. The ZO6 Flat plane crank actually has a redline of 8,600 rpm. that's crazy high. More google searching i found this post too 2URGSE with 8500 redline. It's just very cost prohibitive to get more than you would be able to with a turbo or supercharged car that gets cheap gains with a simple pully change or tune to get more from the forced induction.
With an extra 0.5 L and 1300 RPM, the Z06 makes 200 more HP. That's a 42% power increase. That's huge. I'm sure this engine could make more but yes, it'll cost a small fortune.
Old 08-14-23, 10:27 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
With an extra 0.5 L and 1300 RPM, the Z06 makes 200 more HP. That's a 42% power increase. That's huge. I'm sure this engine could make more but yes, it'll cost a small fortune.
The flat plane design of the engine also contributes. same for the Mustang GT350 Voodoo 5.2L engine.
Old 08-14-23, 10:34 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Just to stay off topic a tad longer - some quick browsing around seems to indicate that for naturally aspirated cars, a threshold of 100 HP/L is the breakthrough point for high performance stuff . The V8 in the 500 falls a bit short of that, but again, all things considered with the commentary above, anything north of 100 Hp/L is really reserved for high performance sport applications. The LFA is at 116 HP/L, the Z06 at 122. Havent' check others, but I'm sure the naturally aspirated exotics are all scattered around these numbers.
Old 08-14-23, 11:00 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Toyota/Lexus have reliability goals that will ultimately not let them go beyond a certain point. Sure the engine could make more power but Toyota/Lexus at the time deemed where it is the best they can do without sacrificing goals. They are not revisiting the motor again most likely as it's DOA in their lineup shortly so we are not likely to see any further increase in power. The Z06 motor is made by a company who does not share the same reliability targets Toyota has. Having said that the Z06 when running is an amazing car.
The C7 Z06 LT4 motor is bulletproof at much higher power levels than our motor. I wouldn't say they don't have the same reliability targets. They still have a 3 year warranty on an 8600 RPM motor that covers track use! I think they stand behind their product as good as the next guy.
Originally Posted by DarthCholo
Agreed, forced induction is the way to go, but maybe not on our cars. With such high compression already it would be a ticking time bomb imo. Plus I doubt Lexus is using the right pistons/rings for FI, adding another level of eventual failure.

I don't think we can safely add 50-60% more power in any affordable manner. That's why I've already said if they did some 600hp turbo car I'd be first in line! But the C6 still pulls at my heart strings, if I ever have a high powered fun car it'll be that.