IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Lexus is 500 LE engine shutoff randomly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 05:57 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

The service rep told me that they have not been able to find an issue but they will let one of the mechanics take it home to test out some more. No indication that the gas was bad thus far, but they will let me know more tomorrow.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexussingh:
arentz07 (08-17-23), DLPTony (08-18-23), Fleuger99 (08-17-23)
Old 08-17-23, 09:12 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
It's really sad to see how Lexus is going down like this. Checked ES subforum they got a Fuel seepage notification until 2022 model year and then in the RX subforum they have many issues related to Engine (not surprising given how the Tundra is plagued with issues due to massive powertrain changes) and the Dash coming off first model year but those problems are a bit too much.

People buy Lexus for a massively superior experience over the modern automobiles with a ton of issues and long term issues plus the lease mobiles becoming money pits due to inferior engineering, shortcuts and planned obsolescence. And Lexus being opposite are failing at it, I can only express my massive disappointment, look at Lexus LS the car which made the brand it got just abandoned for good. Also a small note, YTer Samcarlegion who based IS 500 he also got the 2022 IS 500 with issues sitting in the dealership. Lexus need to get their things correct esp with such a good engine 2UR GSE and it has been there since IS F, yea it is changed but still Common Lexus this is a 65-70K vehicle....that too you make these IS 500s at Tahara which builds the legendary 4Runner and built some solid cars.. Takumi craftmanship and all that.

With these kind of issues popping up related to fuel pumps, no wonder why old Land Cruiser and the good ol GX with no D4S system just big NA V8 1UR series with Port injection only just simply run forever. Add the 4Runner to the lineup. As much as advanced as it sounds and props to Toyota Motor Corp for making the D4S unlike the carbon plagued GDI engines of the world this is a complicated system without a doubt.

To the OP, hope he gets the IS 500 repaired properly, Good Luck.
Also just in case make sure you check out the Lemon laws in your State if the car is constantly getting into the dealership under 24 months.
That was a lot to follow....

Forums will typically scare most folks from buying any products but especially an automobile. I don't think Lexus is going down. If they are, they're still #1 in the U.S.

The OP has an issue with his car, it will be repaired, hopefully, under warranty along with others from the other forum subsections you mentioned.

Regarding the YouTube dude, I typically ignore car reviews based on track times and pointless drag racing.

The following users liked this post:
Admonkey (08-18-23)
Old 08-17-23, 09:32 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kappa500
That was a lot to follow....

Forums will typically scare most folks from buying any products but especially an automobile. I don't think Lexus is going down. If they are, they're still #1 in the U.S.

The OP has an issue with his car, it will be repaired, hopefully, under warranty along with others from the other forum subsections you mentioned.

Regarding the YouTube dude, I typically ignore car reviews based on track times and pointless drag racing.

I owned a Hyundai before this car it was a piece of crap and many people reported the same issues I had. The fact that Genesis and Kia are way up the list gives me pause in trusting these stats. Having said that maybe I'm just really unlucky with this car. My family has owned many Toyotas and we've never had any notable issues like this.
Old 08-18-23, 07:27 AM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I've never owned a Kia, but I had. Genesis G70 and it was pretty rock solid. I'd say it's no doubt the best sedan available without a V8. Yeah, better than the 3 series, the A4 and the C-Class....not counting RS, AMG and M variants.

Genesis has gained more ground than any other manufacturer....not counting Tesla who is still too new.
Old 08-18-23, 08:21 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

FWIW, my LE hasn't had a fuel pump issue at all, im right at 6k miles. Wouldn't be surprised if it did happen though. Cars that have come in for fuel pump recalls recently have been coming back a second time for a fuel pump failure because a subpar part was supplied. Toyota and Lexus mainly sourced Denso parts, but due to the chip shortage crap, they've been taking parts from anyone who can supply them. I think that is causing a massive issue.
Old 08-18-23, 09:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
FWIW, my LE hasn't had a fuel pump issue at all, im right at 6k miles. Wouldn't be surprised if it did happen though. Cars that have come in for fuel pump recalls recently have been coming back a second time for a fuel pump failure because a subpar part was supplied. Toyota and Lexus mainly sourced Denso parts, but due to the chip shortage crap, they've been taking parts from anyone who can supply them. I think that is causing a massive issue.
You sure it's not because of underglow?

What info are you basing that claim that they are just taking whoever has parts?
The following 4 users liked this post by arentz07:
DLPTony (08-18-23), jsch222 (08-19-23), Kanpai (08-18-23), TipsyTonio (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 12:18 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
::snickering:: It’s always the quiet ones with the most shade. 😈😜
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
50Shades (08-21-23), TipsyTonio (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 02:15 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07

What info are you basing that claim that they are just taking whoever has parts?
The parts showing up at our dealership from lexus used to be in Denso boxes, with Denso labeling, now it isn't. Obviously, a lot of Denso stuff is still showing up, but some stuff thats showing up that used to be Denso isn't anymore.

You can go to your local dealer and ask their technicians how much they like the new NX and RX. They'll tell you, lol.

Actually, my fuel pump did stop working. Blew the fuel pump fuse. good news is, I installed my new underglow by wrapping the copper wire around both legs of the fuse, and now it works again.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pittsy:
arentz07 (08-18-23), DLPTony (08-18-23), Kanpai (08-19-23), TipsyTonio (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 02:47 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Actually, my fuel pump did stop working. Blew the fuel pump fuse. good news is, I installed my new underglow by wrapping the copper wire around both legs of the fuse, and now it works again.
Sounds to me like you followed the TIS Repair Manual. Akio approved!
Old 08-18-23, 03:58 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

I’m with @arentz07 on this one … wouldn’t hurt if we all just took a deep breath. I’m guilty of it myself having been on the front end of the CEL exhaust issue and Lexus went above & beyond in standing by their product.

Besides, just scrolling to the end of this thread you will see ‘related topics’ for other Lexus models from years ago that have suffered similar problems (screenshot above), some of which (like the LX470) have since been proven to be amongst the most reliable cars ever made.

Last edited by jororo; 08-19-23 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-22-23, 12:39 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Sounds to me like you followed the TIS Repair Manual. Akio approved!
Isn't that advised against?
I was under the impression you should use a fuse tap when you want to connect two accessories on the same fuse, but I could be mistaken.
Old 08-22-23, 12:40 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussingh
I was under the impression you should use a fuse tap when you want to connect two accessories on the same fuse, but I could be mistaken.
Please for the love of Christ do not do that lol. It was total sarcasm and if you do that you’re just opening a can of worms
Pittsy (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 12:40 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Update:
They still can't reproduce the issue, but after reaching out to Lexus, my dealership was advised to replace the "purge valve".
Hopefully, this fixes the issue, and it is not the fuel pump that is going out.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexussingh:
Answer (08-22-23), DLPTony (08-29-23)
Old 08-22-23, 12:44 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by lexussingh
Yes disregard that, we were making satire of another post from another user.

you’re correct; an add-a-fuse is the correct method.
Old 08-22-23, 01:44 PM
Fleuger99
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I've never owned a Kia, but I had. Genesis G70 and it was pretty rock solid. I'd say it's no doubt the best sedan available without a V8. Yeah, better than the 3 series, the A4 and the C-Class....not counting RS, AMG and M variants.

Genesis has gained more ground than any other manufacturer....not counting Tesla who is still too new.
To me Genesis has no design language of its own, each vehicle of theirs looks like pieces of other manufacturers which I'd never want to buy one for that reason.
Carolina50 (08-22-23)

Quick Reply: Lexus is 500 LE engine shutoff randomly