IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

How often do you use your paddle shifters and how do you find them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 05:31 PM
baege
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How often do you use your paddle shifters and how do you find them?

Looking at moving into the IS500 after years of manual porsches and bmws

one of the big doubts for me is whether I can live with the 8 speed in the IS

as a manual lover, I know if I get the IS500 I will be using the paddles all the time

the paddles were very responsive on the LC I drove

for those coming from DCTs, how is 8 speed working for you? do you use the paddles? are they ok once the tranny warms up? (i noticed even in the LC when the tranny was cold there was a lag with the paddle shifters)
Old 09-07-23, 08:08 PM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I use the paddles every time I drive my IS. I must say that the ZF transmission in my 2022 M440i is definitely much muxh better.... especially with downshifts, but you'll get used to it and yes, it's much better after things warm up. The downshifts from 4-3-2 are a bit harsh when cold. Upshifts are always on point. I'm paired with a Pedal Commander now and I don't even think I could drive the car without it.
The following users liked this post:
baege (09-08-23)
Old 09-07-23, 08:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I use the paddles on almost every drive, particularly if I can find a good back road to play on. However, I would say they are only good in that type of environment. Unlike in the ZF 8-speed or Porsche PDK or similarly-good paddle-shift transmissions, I wouldn't normally use the paddles in traffic or any type of casual driving in this car. The car just acts like it doesn't like it. There's a delay, and downshifts are sluggish in normal driving. If you are having fun on a back road, however, revving the car out a bit, the paddles work great. Upshifts and downshifts are quick and crisp, with minimal delay. The rev-match on downshifts is amazing - it is night-and-day better than what you'd get on the IS 350's 8-speed when it comes to downshifts.

So, tl;dr: paddles are great in manual mode in spirited driving, not so much otherwise.

And you MUST select manual mode on the gear selector - using the paddles while in "D" means it's going to just limit your maximum gear, much like in other Toyota and Lexus products.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
baege (09-08-23), IS500SM (09-09-23)
Old 09-08-23, 02:42 AM
baege
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arentz07
I use the paddles on almost every drive, particularly if I can find a good back road to play on. However, I would say they are only good in that type of environment. Unlike in the ZF 8-speed or Porsche PDK or similarly-good paddle-shift transmissions, I wouldn't normally use the paddles in traffic or any type of casual driving in this car. The car just acts like it doesn't like it. There's a delay, and downshifts are sluggish in normal driving. If you are having fun on a back road, however, revving the car out a bit, the paddles work great. Upshifts and downshifts are quick and crisp, with minimal delay. The rev-match on downshifts is amazing - it is night-and-day better than what you'd get on the IS 350's 8-speed when it comes to downshifts.

So, tl;dr: paddles are great in manual mode in spirited driving, not so much otherwise.

And you MUST select manual mode on the gear selector - using the paddles while in "D" means it's going to just limit your maximum gear, much like in other Toyota and Lexus products.
appreciate the detailed reply, sounds like the programming of the tranny is such that the paddles work better with more aggressive throttle inputs and at higher rpms, that would work for me as not much point using the paddles when you are puttering around, at that point you might as well slap it in D and relax and enjoy the ride
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (09-08-23)