IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

How much was your oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23 | 08:19 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by iVtecV8
wow didn’t realize this is possible! Good to know Toyota service Lexus. More options. Thanks for sharing!
For sure, and the best part is that it gets reported to TIS and it even shows up on the Lexus app for me. I asked my Lexus dealer if they can pull up the Toyota service in their end and they pulled up all the details without any issue so it also makes any warranty claim painless.

The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
HighRevs (09-11-23), iVtecV8 (09-10-23)
Old 09-11-23 | 09:41 AM
iVtecV8
Driver

Omg! Just called my local Lexus service center.

They said $129 labor if I bring in my own engine oil. Filter is $16.

If we use their oil and labor and filter it’s $229.

She said she would put in 0w16! I was like what?! It calls for 5w30…

Why is there such a disparity in labor fee? Is it a rip off or what?

The same service staff said there’s no 1k miles inspection. I can’t imagine the level of incompetence to be honest.

The following users liked this post:
HighRevs (09-11-23)
Old 09-11-23 | 09:43 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Omg! Just called my local Lexus service center.

They said $129 labor if I bring in my own engine oil. Filter is $16.

If we use their oil and labor and filter it’s $229.

She said she would put in 0w16! I was like what?! It calls for 5w30…

Why is there such a disparity in labor fee? Is it a rip off or what?

The same service staff said there’s no 1k miles inspection. I can’t imagine the level of incompetence to be honest.
Holy cow! I thought my Lexus dealer was expensive. Please don’t be afraid to name drop them lmao.
0W-16 is basically only used on the Hybrids lmao. This car is so far from a hybrid
HighRevs (09-11-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 05:44 AM
logjammin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Just wanted to add that regardless of where you take your car to, Lexus or Toyota, if you don’t provide your oil you need to be very specific with them to use 5W-30 and fill it with the almost 10 quarts of oil that the 2UR calls for. I’ve seen way too many horror stories on the GSF, RCF, and even IS500 forums of dealers filling these cars with 0W-20 and sometimes with only 6 quarts of oil because they confuse it with a 350, even when they took it to Lexus. Sadly it’s not a car that they see many of, whereas they see tons of 350s every day.
I'm glad that I saw this, just wish I did before my 10k service appointment on Friday. Didn't look at the receipt until yesterday, and it looks like they did exactly this to my car. I'm bringing it back in this afternoon. Luckily I have put less than 100 miles on it in the meantime.

10k service line item

5k service line item
iVtecV8 (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 05:48 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by logjammin
I'm glad that I saw this, just wish I did before my 10k service appointment on Friday. Didn't look at the receipt until yesterday, and it looks like they did exactly this to my car. I'm bringing it back in this afternoon. Luckily I have put less than 100 miles on it in the meantime.

10k service line item

5k service line item
Wow I’m glad you caught this! What’s crazy is that they used the same filter so that should’ve been a dead giveaway that they were working on a V8. Even if they say it was just a mistake on the paper you should ask them to redo the oil change and get the invoice to say that they are correcting their mistake. The 0W-20 for 100 miles isn’t a huge concern IMO, but if you are 4 quarts short on oil I’d be greatly concerned. Please make sure you check the dipstick to check the oil level before driving it any further. I’d hate for you to suffer engine damage.
The following 4 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Fleuger99 (09-12-23), HighRevs (09-12-23), iVtecV8 (09-12-23), logjammin (09-12-23)
Old 09-12-23 | 07:34 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

10k service line item

5k service line item
Good catch!!! It puzzles me how incompetent the Lexus dealership can be!!! Doesn’t the oil filler cap says 5w30 on it?
Old 09-12-23 | 10:04 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Not sure if it would apply but back in the day Toyota would let you apply their coupons and discount labor
iVtecV8 (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 05:57 AM
logjammin
Driver School Candidate

Good catch!!! It puzzles me how incompetent the Lexus dealership can be!!! Doesn’t the oil filler cap says 5w30 on it?
Yes. Manual is pretty clear too. I checked the oil before returning and luckily the level was OK. They weren't really able to explain the reason for the mix-up, but it looks like they replaced it with Mobile 1 full synthetic as opposed the bulk Toyota oil used in the first change and offered me a free 15k service. Other posts on this thread and others mentioned bringing in your own synthetic for them to change out. I admittedly thought this was overkill but, after this experience, might be doing it for future service visits.
The following 2 users liked this post by logjammin:
HighRevs (09-13-23), iVtecV8 (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 06:17 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Wow I’m glad you caught this! What’s crazy is that they used the same filter so that should’ve been a dead giveaway that they were working on a V8. Even if they say it was just a mistake on the paper you should ask them to redo the oil change and get the invoice to say that they are correcting their mistake. The 0W-20 for 100 miles isn’t a huge concern IMO, but if you are 4 quarts short on oil I’d be greatly concerned. Please make sure you check the dipstick to check the oil level before driving it any further. I’d hate for you to suffer engine damage.
just to play devils advocate and I’m not super technical on cars, what would happen if you actually drove on this for a few thousand miles?
Old 09-13-23 | 06:20 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by vpar23
just to play devils advocate and I’m not super technical on cars, what would happen if you actually drove on this for a few thousand miles?
I’m not technically either but I can’t imagine that running at 60% oil requirement wouldn’t cause damage. You’d be starving the engine of oil. Part of me is inclined to believe that the OP just had the invoice written incorrectly and they did in fact get the 10 quarts of oil, because I believe the car would tell you “Low Oil Pressure” if you were THAT low
arentz07 (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23 | 06:22 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

I’m not technically either but I can’t imagine that running at 60% oil requirement wouldn’t cause damage. You’d be starving the engine of oil. Part of me is inclined to believe that the OP just had the invoice written incorrectly and they did in fact get the 10 quarts of oil, because I believe the car would tell you “Low Oil Pressure” if you were THAT low
Thats what I would think, the car should signal low oil but not sure what would happen with viscosity and differences in oil. These threads are all over FB so now I’m feeling paranoid to the extent I emailed my SA lol.
Old 09-13-23 | 06:37 AM
arentz07

Thats what I would think, the car should signal low oil but not sure what would happen with viscosity and differences in oil. These threads are all over FB so now I’m feeling paranoid to the extent I emailed my SA lol.
Yeah, definitely follow up with the advisor; sometimes they put a smaller number on the invoice just so that they can warranty the service. That is, there's a cap on how much oil they are allowed to bill for on the free services, so they may fudge the numbers to stay within the limit.
Old 09-13-23 | 07:34 AM
iVtecV8
Driver

If they indeed put 0w20, it might wear out the engine faster because it’s too thin. If the oil is too thin, it would affect oil pump pressure. If the oil pressure is too low it could damage the engine. That’s why most folks who track their cars would install an oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil pressure to make sure to not blow up the engine. Oil pressure first and then oil temp second.

If the oil level is extremely low, like doing a long high speed turn without a baffled oil pan, it could cause oil starvation and will literally break the engine like engine parts flying off or dropping to the ground instantly.

If the oil dip stick shows the level is higher than the min, it should be safe enough to not damage the engine unless you take it to the track and do a long high speed turn.

I wonder if you’ve got better mpg after the allegedly 0w20 oil change. For cars that call for 0w20 but uses 5w30 the mpg will decrease. Thinking the other way around, I wonder if higher mpg can be an indicator of having 0w20 there.

Old 09-13-23 | 08:11 AM
logjammin
Driver School Candidate

If they indeed put 0w20, it might wear out the engine faster because it’s too thin. If the oil is too thin, it would affect oil pump pressure. If the oil pressure is too low it could damage the engine. That’s why most folks who track their cars would install an oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil pressure to make sure to not blow up the engine. Oil pressure first and then oil temp second.

If the oil level is extremely low, like doing a long high speed turn without a baffled oil pan, it could cause oil starvation and will literally break the engine like engine parts flying off or dropping to the ground instantly.

If the oil dip stick shows the level is higher than the min, it should be safe enough to not damage the engine unless you take it to the track and do a long high speed turn.

I wonder if you’ve got better mpg after the allegedly 0w20 oil change. For cars that call for 0w20 but uses 5w30 the mpg will decrease. Thinking the other way around, I wonder if higher mpg can be an indicator of having 0w20 there.
Didn't notice any change in mpg but drove a very limited amount before I caught it. No spirited driving during this period. Confirmed dip stick was above the min fill line prior to my return to the dealer and there were no pressure warnings on the info screen. SA confirmed that there was no issue with the oil level when I brought it back but admitted the wrong grade was used. Couldn't explain the incorrect unit number on the invoice, which I found most frustrating.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was addressed early enough to avoid any significant damage but will provide an update if anything changes. My advice is to confirm exactly the spec/amount of fluids with the SA, have them write it out on the work order, and check your invoice afterwards before accepting the car back. This is how it looked yesterday after the visit:

Short of doing an oil analysis after every change to confirm what was actually put in there, at least the documentation reflects the stated maintenance performed during each visit. Might come in handy if there's any potential warranty claims in the future.
Old 09-13-23 | 08:12 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Didn't notice any change in mpg but drove a very limited amount before I caught it. No spirited driving during this period. Confirmed dip stick was above the min fill line prior to my return to the dealer and there were no pressure warnings on the info screen. SA confirmed that there was no issue with the oil level when I brought it back but admitted the wrong grade was used. Couldn't explain the incorrect unit number on the invoice, which I found most frustrating.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was addressed early enough to avoid any significant damage but will provide an update if anything changes. My advice is to confirm exactly the spec/amount of fluids with the SA, have them write it out on the work order, and check your invoice afterwards before accepting the car back. This is how it looked yesterday after the visit:

Short of doing an oil analysis after every change to confirm what was actually put in there, at least the documentation reflects the stated maintenance performed during each visit. Might come in handy if there's any potential warranty claims in the future.
I’m definitely glad you got it fixed but I find it hilarious that nowhere there did they say in writing “we f’ed up”

Quick Reply: How much was your oil change?