IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

How much was your oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23 | 07:49 AM
iVtecV8
Driver

Default How much was your oil change?

I know is500 owners get their first 5k/6 months and 10k/12 months oil change for free.

After that, for those who did oil change at their Lexus dealership, how much did they charge you?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-23 | 10:44 AM
Oreois500
Rookie

Dealer quoted me $133 for oil, filter, labor, and tax:
$9.05 x 10 qts oil
$9.81 filter
$1.65 crush gasket/washer
leaves about $31 for labor or so

but personally I just get the bulk pack (15 qt for $71) of pennzoil ultra plat and bring to a local shop that only charges $20 for labor. Total cost is like $80-90
The following 2 users liked this post by Oreois500:
arentz07 (09-11-23), iVtecV8 (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 11:36 AM
iVtecV8
Driver

Does dealership allow you to bring your own oil and they charge only the oil filter and labor?
Old 09-10-23 | 12:16 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

^^ I purchase my own oil from AutoZone. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic & take it to the dealer. Then they charge me like $38 bucks for labor & filter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moonman89:
iVtecV8 (09-10-23), TipsyTonio (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 04:29 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Originally Posted by Moonman89
^^ I purchase my own oil from AutoZone. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic & take it to the dealer. Then they charge me like $38 bucks for labor & filter.
Thanks! That’s very helpful! Assuming the filter is $10. Labor is $28 which is not bad at all.
Old 09-10-23 | 07:03 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I never knew this was a thing. Good to know.
Old 09-10-23 | 07:25 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Not a 500 but I second bringing your own oil. I buy Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and do the Pennzoil nail in rebate that gives you $25 (currently $20 sadly) mail in rebate when you buy 10 quarts of oil. You can do it twice in a year. Then just take my happy *** to Toyota that charges me $34 for labor, filter, and crush gasket. If I didn’t supply my own oil, Toyota would do it for $89 whereas my Lexus dealer is currently charging, wait for it….. $170+tax and shop fees for a 6 quart oil change. Ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
iVtecV8 (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 08:02 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Not a 500 but I second bringing your own oil. I buy Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and do the Pennzoil nail in rebate that gives you $25 (currently $20 sadly) mail in rebate when you buy 10 quarts of oil. You can do it twice in a year. Then just take my happy *** to Toyota that charges me $34 for labor, filter, and crush gasket. If I didn’t supply my own oil, Toyota would do it for $89 whereas my Lexus dealer is currently charging, wait for it….. $170+tax and shop fees for a 6 quart oil change. Ridiculous.
o wow Toyota charges $34 for labor + filter. How much did Lexus dealership charge you to bring your own oil, so just labor + filter + washer?
Old 09-10-23 | 08:04 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by iVtecV8
o wow Toyota charges $34 for labor + filter. How much did Lexus dealership charge you to bring your own oil, so just labor + filter + washer?
Don’t have a final figure but labor was $60 +$11 for the filter, and $2 for the gasket. Roughly a 100% markup on the part prices from their retail prices. Plus tax and shop fees. All in it was probably circa $85 had I gone that route. Plus the times I took my car there for the free oil changes I did not like my experience whereas my Toyota dealer has been my go to dealer for 11 years and I know everyone by name and they know me by name, so they always put a master tech to work on my car.
Old 09-10-23 | 08:09 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Don’t have a final figure but labor was $60 +$11 for the filter, and $2 for the gasket. Roughly a 100% markup on the part prices from their retail prices. Plus tax and shop fees. All in it was probably circa $85 had I gone that route. Plus the times I took my car there for the free oil changes I did not like my experience whereas my Toyota dealer has been my go to dealer for 11 years and I know everyone by name and they know me by name, so they always put a master tech to work on my car.
Just wanted to add that regardless of where you take your car to, Lexus or Toyota, if you don’t provide your oil you need to be very specific with them to use 5W-30 and fill it with the almost 10 quarts of oil that the 2UR calls for. I’ve seen way too many horror stories on the GSF, RCF, and even IS500 forums of dealers filling these cars with 0W-20 and sometimes with only 6 quarts of oil because they confuse it with a 350, even when they took it to Lexus. Sadly it’s not a car that they see many of, whereas they see tons of 350s every day.
HighRevs (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 08:09 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Ya I think I will go with the buy my own oil route new take it to the dealership. Did you mean taking your Toyota to Toyota dealership for oil change or your Lexus to Toyota for oil change? I am down if its the latter coz it’s cheaper and if they let us do that.

Old 09-10-23 | 08:12 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Ya I think I will go with the buy my own oil route new take it to the dealership. Did you mean taking your Toyota to Toyota dealership for oil change or your Lexus to Toyota for oil change? I am down if it’s the latter coz it’s cheaper and if they let us do that.
To sum it up, I take my IS350 to my preferred Toyota dealer that does it for $34 OTD. The same service where I provide the oil, is roughly $85 at Lexus.

If you do go the Pennzoil route it’s worth noting that if you get the invoice to say what grade of Pennzoil they use (Platinum, Ultra Platinum, etc) and the weight, you receive a free engine warranty from Pennzoil for up to 300,000 miles if I am not mistaken. You just need to record the service on their website and attach the proof of the purchase if the oil and the proof of the oil change with the shop using Pennzoil.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
HighRevs (09-10-23), iVtecV8 (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 08:14 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Just wanted to add that regardless of where you take your car to, Lexus or Toyota, if you don’t provide your oil you need to be very specific with them to use 5W-30 and fill it with the almost 10 quarts of oil that the 2UR calls for. I’ve seen way too many horror stories on the GSF, RCF, and even IS500 forums of dealers filling these cars with 0W-20 and sometimes with only 6 quarts of oil because they confuse it with a 350, even when they took it to Lexus. Sadly it’s not a car that they see many of, whereas they see tons of 350s every day.
Wait what! How do you tell they put in 0w-20 but not 5w30?

I have a Honda and one time I brought in my own oil. After waited 4 hours, I checked the dip stick the oil was as dark before the oil change. It’s pretty clear they didn’t change my oil. From then I only changed the engine oil by myself. I thought Lexus dealership would be better but putting in 0w20 to a 5w30 engine is another level.
Old 09-10-23 | 08:16 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Wait what! How do you tell they put in 0w-20 but not 5w30?

I have a Honda and one time I brought in my own oil. After waited 4 hours, I checked the dip stick the oil was as dark before the oil change. It’s pretty clear they didn’t change my oil. From then I only changed the engine oil by myself. I thought Lexus dealership would be better but putting in 0w20 to a 5w30 engine is another level.
The ones I’ve seen, the techs have been dumb enough to put 0W-20 on the invoice which is how the owners have found out, but honestly without doing an oil analysis I see no other way of you really finding out what weight they use. Tbh while I wouldn’t do it purposely, I doubt using 0W-20 for one oil change interval will cause much damage. I’d be more concerned with them under filling it. TLDR, be specific in telling your dealer what you want and reiterate that you want them to be careful, even though that should go without saying.
iVtecV8 (09-10-23)
Old 09-10-23 | 08:17 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

To sum it up, I take my IS350 to my preferred Toyota dealer that does it for $34 OTD. The same service where I provide the oil, is roughly $85 at Lexus.

If you do go the Pennzoil route it’s worth noting that if you get the invoice to say what grade of Pennzoil they use (Platinum, Ultra Platinum, etc) and the weight, you receive a free engine warranty from Pennzoil for up to 300,000 miles if I am not mistaken. You just need to record the service on their website and attach the proof of the purchase if the oil and the proof of the oil change with the shop using Pennzoil.
wow didn’t realize this is possible! Good to know Toyota service Lexus. More options. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: How much was your oil change?