IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 06:46 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Excuse me if I missed a post on this but is it known if a bumper fix has been found in the manufacturing process going forward to the 2024 IS's?
Old 03-14-24, 07:05 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by HJP12
Excuse me if I missed a post on this but is it known if a bumper fix has been found in the manufacturing process going forward to the 2024 IS's?
No. There has been no word on a production fix or if they will glue the zip ties from the factory on any IS going forward.
Old 05-16-24, 10:12 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
Hi, I'm one of the admins on the IS500 Facebook groups and I was collecting VINs and pictures of IS500s with the bumper separation issue to share with Lexus directly. I ended up with a list of about 63 cars and sent it over to a contact there. I ended up getting a call today and we discussed in detail. This is copy and pasted from my post in the Facebook groups discussing the future plan:

Bumper Separation Update passed on from Lexus Corporate for the IS500 community.

I spoke with the head of Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales on the phone for about 45 minutes today and they wanted to express their current plans and timelines for the IS500 Bumper Separation investigation. They were extremely sympathetic and understanding knowing that this issue shouldn't be happening, and they're here to help get it fixed for all owners to keep enjoying their cars and not have to worry about this issue in the future.

They gave me details to pass along to all of the IS500 community, these are official words from Lexus. They also said that I'll act as the communication to the community as the investigation unfolds and I can pass it along to all of you as I receive it.

First of all, they heard the noise. Lexus quality assurance, Japan and US, are currently working on the bumper separation issue. They're looking into everything from modifying the current clips for the bumper to an entirely new system for holding the bumper on. They even said engineering is going as far as measuring tension on specific clips to genuinely get to a root cause to provide the best correction possible.

They said they want Lexus to handle the solution so owners do not have to worry. They understand if anyone has done anything to remedy the issue now(like a turnbuckle or splitter rods), and they apologized that people felt like they needed to become engineers to solve problems caused by their IS500 bumper separation. They said people don't have to fix it themselves, a fix is coming, but even if you did do a repair yourself you will not be excluded from this permanent fix. They overstated how they want Lexus to own the repairs so owners don't have to have that pressure or concern on them.

Their timeline for a permanent fix, for all owners who encounter the issue, will be targeted in 3 months. This permanent fix will include an internal bulletin shared to the 4 major Lexus headquarters as well as all dealer service departments that will trigger them to complete the necessary repairs when cars come in for service. They also may just contact owners directly, but that is still being decided. At bare minimum, there will be an internal bulletin when the permanent fix is in place.

They specifically told me that people who have previously had their bumpers removed for PPF, other work, etc WILL NOT BE EXCLUDED from this repair. They said even people with scrapes under or on their bumper will be taken care of. All affected cars now and in the future will be covered under warranty or good faith with the bulletin.

In the interim, anyone that's affected by the bumper separation that wants a dealer to replace clips to attempt to hold them over until the permanent fix is solved, this will be available. They said they can reach out to owners who would be interested in this temporary fix by their VIN, they already have my list so I believe they will be reaching out to those owners specifically. But they said that communication should come and if not, I can forward your request for the temporary repair to them. Those who receive the temporary fix will also still be eligible for the permanent fix, this is a hold over if someone is absolutely sick of looking at their bumper separation and to help ease your mind that a permanent fix is coming.

I will be receiving details as this process happens and keeping everyone updated as it comes to me.

If you do have the bumper issue, let your dealer know about it. It'll probably get you on the fast track for the permanent repair when it comes around.

They said 3 months for the permanent fix, it could be less or could be more. Just know they've heard us and that the fix is coming.

Thank you for being so patient and dealing with my badgering during this process. I'm so happy that it seems like our voices were heard and this will hopefully be solved by the new year.
So I'm curious as to what the Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales has to say now that their "fix" failed? Any official statements from them? Are they still working it or just leaving it up to owners to fix it themselves using creative methods that work? What about reimbursing owners that have to buy their own "fix" since Lexus won't or can't.
Old 05-16-24, 10:15 AM
Daeyx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
So I'm curious as to what the Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales has to say now that their "fix" failed? Any official statements from them? Are they still working it or just leaving it up to owners to fix it themselves using creative methods that work? What about reimbursing owners that have to buy their own "fix" since Lexus won't or can't.
I already bought the solution listed in the other thread just in case it starts happening to me. I suggest people stop holding out hope for Lexus to do anything about this as it’s already been years.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-17-24)
Old 05-16-24, 10:19 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

They won't say anything. The only shot of a proper fix is for this to come from Japan. I have not heard of any bumpers separating in Japan although I don't follow that market at all. Maybe customers just don't notice it in Japan because they're too stressed out over there.
Old 05-16-24, 10:23 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 222 Likes on 72 Posts

The marketing guy left to go to another car company during the 6 months leading up to the TSB being released. I did speak with my quality contact a few weeks ago and they said there's a potential for an update to come out for the TSB.

When a TSB isn't seen to be effective, they generally have a responsibility to move things forward until a solution is found. So yeah, the progress might be slow, but there could be an update in the future.

In the meantime, doing either the Etsy fix or installing a turn buckle for under 30 dollars can resolve the issue as well if you don't want to wait.

I'm aware it's not ideal, but it's the world we live in nowadays.

Ford had Broncos with motors that disintegrate randomly, Hyundai had Dual Clutch transmissions that randomly fail, Chevy had Bolts literally spontaneously combusting and burning down houses. A bumper tab not engaging properly is far from the worst case scenario with a car having an issue.

I still have my Lexus contacts I can follow up with and see if anything else happens.

[​​​​QUOTE=Benibiker1558;11724047]So I'm curious as to what the Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales has to say now that their "fix" failed? Any official statements from them? Are they still working it or just leaving it up to owners to fix it themselves using creative methods that work? What about reimbursing owners that have to buy their own "fix" since Lexus won't or can't.[/QUOTE]
The following 5 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
DLPTony (05-17-24), HydrantHunter (05-16-24), Kanpai (05-16-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24), wthrman2 (05-17-24)
Old 05-16-24, 10:37 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 305 Likes on 112 Posts

A response would be nice even if they don't fix it. Better yet pull the TSB so people stop getting JB weld applied to their cars permanently.
The following 6 users liked this post by cyfi66:
Benibiker1558 (05-16-24), DLPTony (05-17-24), HydrantHunter (05-16-24), ICEforever (05-16-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24), wthrman2 (05-17-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-24, 10:38 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeBlue
The marketing guy left to go to another car company during the 6 months leading up to the TSB being released. I did speak with my quality contact a few weeks ago and they said there's a potential for an update to come out for the TSB.

When a TSB isn't seen to be effective, they generally have a responsibility to move things forward until a solution is found. So yeah, the progress might be slow, but there could be an update in the future.

In the meantime, doing either the Etsy fix or installing a turn buckle for under 30 dollars can resolve the issue as well if you don't want to wait.

I'm aware it's not ideal, but it's the world we live in nowadays.

Ford had Broncos with motors that disintegrate randomly, Hyundai had Dual Clutch transmissions that randomly fail, Chevy had Bolts literally spontaneously combusting and burning down houses. A bumper tab not engaging properly is far from the worst case scenario with a car having an issue.

I still have my Lexus contacts I can follow up with and see if anything else happens.

[​​​​QUOTE=Benibiker1558;11724047]So I'm curious as to what the Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales has to say now that their "fix" failed? Any official statements from them? Are they still working it or just leaving it up to owners to fix it themselves using creative methods that work? What about reimbursing owners that have to buy their own "fix" since Lexus won't or can't.
[/QUOTE]

Well they sounded like the really cared, but apparently it was just hot air:
"They said they want Lexus to handle the solution so owners do not have to worry. They understand if anyone has done anything to remedy the issue now(like a turnbuckle or splitter rods), and they apologized that people felt like they needed to become engineers to solve problems caused by their IS500 bumper separation. They said people don't have to fix it themselves, a fix is coming, but even if you did do a repair yourself you will not be excluded from this permanent fix. They overstated how they want Lexus to own the repairs so owners don't have to have that pressure or concern on them."

Sure the bumper separation isn't life threatening or leading to complete vehicle failure but how Lexus has and has NOT handled this will turn off many future buyers. In the end that's what keeps customers coming, how a corporation handled issues and I'll tell you that looking at how this is being handled is completely unacceptable in today's highly competitive automotive industry. Hell, you can buy a Honda, a Ford, a Chevy that won't have bumpers falling off on their own.

Last edited by Benibiker1558; 05-16-24 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (05-17-24)
Old 05-16-24, 07:28 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

Well they sounded like the really cared, but apparently it was just hot air:
"They said they want Lexus to handle the solution so owners do not have to worry. They understand if anyone has done anything to remedy the issue now(like a turnbuckle or splitter rods), and they apologized that people felt like they needed to become engineers to solve problems caused by their IS500 bumper separation. They said people don't have to fix it themselves, a fix is coming, but even if you did do a repair yourself you will not be excluded from this permanent fix. They overstated how they want Lexus to own the repairs so owners don't have to have that pressure or concern on them."

Sure the bumper separation isn't life threatening or leading to complete vehicle failure but how Lexus has and has NOT handled this will turn off many future buyers. In the end that's what keeps customers coming, how a corporation handled issues and I'll tell you that looking at how this is being handled is completely unacceptable in today's highly competitive automotive industry. Hell, you can buy a Honda, a Ford, a Chevy that won't have bumpers falling off on their own.
[/QUOTE]

Toyota is dealing with Tundra engines disintegrating at the moment, so I'd say it could be much worse.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
DLPTony (05-17-24), wthrman2 (05-17-24)
Old 05-16-24, 08:13 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai
Toyota is dealing with Tundra engines disintegrating at the moment, so I'd say it could be much worse.
Got a link, I'm curious to hear on this one.
Old 05-16-24, 11:37 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Got a link, I'm curious to hear on this one.

The V35A-FTS (which is also used in the Lexus LS500, LX600) also has this problem. Basically, they keep spinning bearings. Even within 5k miles. Some people with 40k miles on their 3rd engine. The fix is a shortblock, which means that the tech doing the swap must have a godlike ability to clean out every single metal shaving from the turbos and the rest of the oil system.

Last edited by mastershibe; 05-16-24 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 05:22 AM
all9
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

...but how Lexus has and has NOT handled this will turn off many future buyers.
Overreact much? Toyota/Lexus has waded through much worse situations (I'd also be willing to bet that less than 10% of IS500 owners actually have bumper fitment issues which wont help throttle up an immediate response even from an auto giant like Toyota)... This is likely very low on there concern list & the fact they are clearly aware of it & have spent even a little time on it trying to address the issue already is an encouraging sign for how minor of a problem it really is. You also have a CL community option to fix this that seems to work pretty well by the looks of it.

Just chill out & sip some coffee, you'll survive & so will Lexus.

Last edited by all9; 05-17-24 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 05:33 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by all9
Overreact much? Toyota/Lexus has waded through much worse situations (I'd also be willing to bet that less than 10% of IS500 owners actually have bumper fitment issues which wont help throttle up an immediate response even from an auto giant like Toyota)... This is likely very low on there concern list & the fact they are clearly aware of it & have spent even a little time on it trying to address the issue already is an encouraging sign for how minor of a problem it really is. You also have a CL community option to fix this that seems to work pretty well by the looks of it.

You're likely responding to the wrong person, since my quote from another poster got cut off for some reason
Old 05-17-24, 05:34 AM
all9
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you're right, my bad on the formatting... sorry you had to catch shrapnel, ill fix it
Old 05-17-24, 10:06 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by all9

Having re-read this before posting, I realize it sounds way more ranty than I felt when writing it - so, try to imagine this being said in a low, level, and steady voice - not a frothing, screaming cacophony of rage yelling and you'll get the delivery I intended...

I can't speak for others, but as for myself being chill about the initial problem is fine - expecting people to be chill about getting Yugo'd by Lexus is not. Other than as a consideration for whether I should trust them enough to buy from them, I could care less what other self-inflicted traumas Toyota and Lexus have waded through. What I do care about is that I bought a car that cost nearly US $70K (over 70K after taxes, etc.) from a luxury car brand and expect much better than the Yugo level zip-tie/JB Weld treatment they actually seemed to think was OK to offer under the Lexus name. If Lexus cbf to offer a proper *and* lasting solution to a problem with a car they charge this kind of money for, then why should I give them the benefit of the doubt when I'm ready to purchase my next vehicle? I'm not trying to pillory them for the problem, but the solution was a joke and an insult, and there's no excuse for being an apologist for a company that is trying to save money not by finding efficiencies but by treating their customers like chattel. If I didn't care about getting the "extra" that comes from paying the premium for a luxury brand, then I wouldn't have paid that premium - and what Lexus offered in their response to this problem was in no way "extra" or "premium". If a company wants me as a return customer they have to step up and act in accordance with their reputation, not rest on their laurels and hide behind excuses. I've had 3 Toyotas and now 2 Lexus IS models (among many other brands) - I stopped buying Toyotas in the early 2000's because of their lackluster quality and inability/unwillingness to properly fix repeat problems. I expected more from Lexus when I decided to give them a chance and, at first, they lived up to those expectations. However, their Yugo quality response to this problem has me seriously reconsidering any future purchases from this brand...which is a shame since I was looking forward to adding an LC500 to my stable. Life is way too short to have precious time wasted with unnecessary, repeat visits to the service department of a faceless entity that can't even be bothered to pretend like the customer matters to them.
The following 3 users liked this post by HydrantHunter:
Benibiker1558 (05-17-24), LexLight (05-18-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24)

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate