IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 10:16 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 305 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanpai

Toyota is dealing with Tundra engines disintegrating at the moment, so I'd say it could be much worse.
Aren't they just replacing short blocks? Sounds like a great idea to have techs in dealerships doing major engine work. I'm sure those guys are taking extra care to make sure everything is clean, protected from debris and torqued properly when they are getting paid the warranty rate.
Old 05-17-24, 10:17 AM
all9
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
Having re-read this before posting...
Humans are inherently flawed... you wont find a perfect product or a perfect company anywhere ever in the history of humanity... Thats not to say we can/should excuse all issues & ignore them... but just be reasonable in what your expectations are. Or dont. it doesn't really impact me too much other than having random dialogs with strangers on a community board.

just an observation I suppose

Hopefully you're able to be fulfilled by a manufacturer down the road if Lexus isnt able to scratch that itch!

Old 05-17-24, 10:25 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by all9
you wont find a perfect product or a perfect company anywhere ever in the history of humanity!
Instant Pot. They went out of business because they never broke and once everyone had one, they couldn't sell anymore.
The following users liked this post:
all9 (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 10:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Instant Pot. They went out of business because they never broke and once everyone had one, they couldn't sell anymore.
I bet I could break it.

Point stands, we should definitely hold Lexus to a high standard without being entitled. It's still just a car. It's not magic. However, it is not a cheap car. So, it should not have cheap-car levels of care being put into it. I am grateful we have an alternative solution, at least.
The following 4 users liked this post by arentz07:
Benibiker1558 (05-17-24), DLPTony (05-17-24), HydrantHunter (05-17-24), Kanpai (05-21-24)
Old 05-17-24, 11:04 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm really surprised so many people are defending and making excuses for Lexus. Guess you all are just hunky dory shelling out nearly $70k to a multi-billion dollar company that tells you you'll "Experience Amazing" and then runs away with your cash? Yeah, an amazing bumper that's hanging off the vehicle with no Lexus fix or real communication from Lexus other than shrugging their shoulders at the dealerships. Other problems they have with Toyota engines or other vehicles is not my concern, when my car has a problem THAT'S my concern and it should be theirs too. I don't have a problem with my IS right now, but it pisses me off to hear what others have gone through to this point and all the way to designing and building their own fix. This is a disgrace to the Lexus name and follows the same pattern of other multi-billion dollar corporations with their greed and pattern of sticking it to the little man. Am I overacting? Good!
The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
LexLight (05-18-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24)
Old 05-17-24, 11:08 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
I'm really surprised so many people are defending and making excuses for Lexus. Guess you all are just hunky dory shelling out nearly $70k to a multi-billion dollar company that tells you you'll "Experience Amazing" and then runs away with your cash? Yeah, an amazing bumper that's hanging off the vehicle with no Lexus fix or real communication from Lexus other than shrugging their shoulders at the dealerships. Other problems they have with Toyota engines or other vehicles is not my concern, when my car has a problem THAT'S my concern and it should be theirs too. I don't have a problem with my IS right now, but it pisses me off to hear what others have gone through to this point and all the way to designing and building their own fix. This is a disgrace to the Lexus name and follows the same pattern of other multi-billion dollar corporations with their greed and pattern of sticking it to the little man. Am I overacting? Good!
and I've been wrong that they do things better in Japan. They put 0W-20 in these cars in Japan!
Old 05-17-24, 11:18 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macmaster
and I've been wrong that they do things better in Japan. They put 0W-20 in these cars in Japan!
Maybe Lexus USA has been wrong with the 5w-30 all along...
Old 05-17-24, 11:23 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm really surprised so many people are defending and making excuses for Lexus. Guess you all are just hunky dory shelling out nearly $70k to a multi-billion dollar company that tells you you'll "Experience Amazing" and then runs away with your cash?
Eh, is it so much making excuses and defending? Or just reframing based on how much it really affects us and looking at things from a perspective that isn't going to constantly perpetuate feelings of malcontent. This is probably the only Lexus I'll ever buy or would ever buy. The NX, RX, ES which are high volume cars bored me. I'm not a Lexus fanboy by any means, but this is really small potatoes. I don't trust any corporation as far as I could throw them, I never had any expectations from Lexus to begin with.

Also never believe marketing gimmicks, "experience amazing", "ultimate driving machine", etc... it's all BS
Kanpai (05-21-24)
Old 05-17-24, 11:34 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Renault
Eh, is it so much making excuses and defending? Or just reframing based on how much it really affects us and looking at things from a perspective that isn't going to constantly perpetuate feelings of malcontent. This is probably the only Lexus I'll ever buy or would ever buy. The NX, RX, ES which are high volume cars bored me. I'm not a Lexus fanboy by any means, but this is really small potatoes. I don't trust any corporation as far as I could throw them, I never had any expectations from Lexus to begin with.

Also never believe marketing gimmicks, "experience amazing", "ultimate driving machine", etc... it's all BS
I don't know if you have the bumper sagging issue or had it but I'm glad you're ok with it. Especially sitting at traffic light next to a $25k Civic who's bumper is still perfectly attached.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
HydrantHunter (05-17-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24)
Old 05-17-24, 11:58 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know if you have the bumper sagging issue or had it but I'm glad you're ok with it. Especially sitting at traffic light next to a $25k Civic who's bumper is still perfectly attached.
Fortunately I did not, but if it develops I'm more than happy to use the community fix (It's already in my garage). There are two easily available fixes between the block and the turnbuckle, and as I stated before I'm already of the mind set that a corporation only cares about getting my money, so my view of Lexus barely changed. The car itself is exactly what I wanted from a spirited daily driver. I was well aware of the transmission and also set aside some money for the inevitable valley plate leak fix before purchasing the car.

Look I'm not trying to tell you not to be disappointed, but if you plan to keep the car, working on acceptance is key to being happy. If this goes too much against your values, then trading it in is a valid option. Perseverating on this issue to the point where you are comparing your car to a civic when you're next to one is just going to continuously sour your day. People should make choices that they are going to be satisfied with and a lot of that boils down to either acceptance or taking action.
Kanpai (05-21-24)
Old 05-17-24, 12:18 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Renault
Fortunately I did not, but if it develops I'm more than happy to use the community fix (It's already in my garage). There are two easily available fixes between the block and the turnbuckle, and as I stated before I'm already of the mind set that a corporation only cares about getting my money, so my view of Lexus barely changed. The car itself is exactly what I wanted from a spirited daily driver. I was well aware of the transmission and also set aside some money for the inevitable valley plate leak fix before purchasing the car.

Look I'm not trying to tell you not to be disappointed, but if you plan to keep the car, working on acceptance is key to being happy. If this goes too much against your values, then trading it in is a valid option. Perseverating on this issue to the point where you are comparing your car to a civic when you're next to one is just going to continuously sour your day. People should make choices that they are going to be satisfied with and a lot of that boils down to either acceptance or taking action.
I completely agree, I’ve gotten rid of or traded in vehicles where manufacturers wouldn’t or couldn’t fix issues important to me. As a result I have a long list of brands I’ll never buy again. The IS and Lexus are not above that, I’ll get rid of it in a heartbeat but so far my IS exceeds my expectations.
Old 05-17-24, 09:28 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by all9
Humans are inherently flawed... you wont find a perfect product or a perfect company anywhere ever in the history of humanity... Thats not to say we can/should excuse all issues & ignore them... but just be reasonable in what your expectations are. Or dont. it doesn't really impact me too much other than having random dialogs with strangers on a community board.

just an observation I suppose

Hopefully you're able to be fulfilled by a manufacturer down the road if Lexus isnt able to scratch that itch!
I like your take and don't disagree, but I feel like I may not have expressed myself well based on your reply. I'm not expecting perfect, but I do expect a company to live up to the reputation it essentially creates for itself. If Lexus sells its vehicles on the premise of "Experience Amazing" then it's on them to ensure the experience as an owner of one of their vehicles is amazing. Zip ties and JB Weld are not amazing. If they aren't willing to honor the promise they are making with the implication that owning their vehicle is an amazing experience, then I don't think that is over expectation on the customer's part, that is Lexus not honoring their word. I get that no company or product is perfect - but how a company handles its own and its products flaws can reveal a lot about how much that company believes in upholding the image it projects to the public, which I've found to be a valuable metric in gauging that company's trustworthiness (for lack of a better word). Maybe I'm totally off base, but I don't think that's an unrealistic take.
The following 2 users liked this post by HydrantHunter:
Benibiker1558 (05-17-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24)
Old 05-17-24, 09:41 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Remember when this was the slogan...

BTW, enjoy this parody commercial.

I love Toyota & Lexus but the moment they changed the slogan from the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" to "Experience Amazing" that signaled at the least a shift in marketing. I feel "Experience Amazing Screw-Ups" was not the intent.

Last edited by Bechtold; 05-18-24 at 12:46 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bechtold:
HydrantHunter (05-18-24), Kanpai (05-21-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24), Vindahawk4 (05-19-24)