IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Triplebeam headlights, not that great.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 06:35 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
<insert ***** joke> 🤣
I was waiting for that
Old 10-10-23, 06:46 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Is it a philips or common? It must be pretty small and yes it would need to be pretty long, none of mine reach.
Phillips .
The following users liked this post:
Benibiker1558 (10-10-23)
Old 10-14-23, 10:24 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

I see how it works now. There’s no screw down there to do the adjustment, instead there’s a gear where the edges of a Philips screwdriver fit and turn a gear. It helps if you push forward on the screwdriver while you turn it so fits against the gear. I raised my headlights about 2-3 inches so they should be better now 🤓.
Old 10-15-23, 02:02 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Is it a philips or common? It must be pretty small and yes it would need to be pretty long, none of mine reach.
I was told it wasnt the size of the tool, it was how you use it lol
Anyways, I had MusicBoxTommy adjust my headlights while he was helping me install my RSR lowering springs. He raised it about a total of an inch and a half. Its okay given my car sits lower now as well. I dont want to blind anyone lol
Benibiker1558 (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 07:37 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

You tube reviewer Prime Automotive did a while review on the triple beam IS 350 and shows in detail and refers to the IIHS docs too.
It starts around the 8 min mark

The following 2 users liked this post by Xanadu350:
arentz07 (10-15-23), HighRevs (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 09:11 AM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

the LED's on my 2014 IS350 were a joke. sad to hear the triple beams arent that better. the Xenons on my 07RX and 08 TSX are still champs. my 17 MDX's LED Jewel eyes are pretty excellent though.
Old 02-24-24, 07:07 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Time to necro this thread...

I finally got around to adjusting my lights. They're about 24.75" across when I pull up to my garage door. It helped a bit, but they're still the suckiest LEDs I've had in a Lexus.

Is there any way to get rid of the dip on the driver side? It is a massive dark spot right in my direct line of sight and I hate it.
Old 02-24-24, 07:38 PM
AnotherRandomNPC
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 18 Posts

I marked the circular adjustment wheel and did a 1/4th turn to move the headlights up and it made a huge difference.

No one has flashed their high beams at me yet either so it's perfect height.
Atav25 (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 07:39 PM
AnotherRandomNPC
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 18 Posts

Time to necro this thread...

I finally got around to adjusting my lights. They're about 24.75" across when I pull up to my garage door. It helped a bit, but they're still the suckiest LEDs I've had in a Lexus.

Is there any way to get rid of the dip on the driver side? It is a massive dark spot right in my direct line of sight and I hate it.
i believe that's intended to keep from blinding oncoming traffic.
wfibear (02-26-24)
Old 02-24-24, 08:29 PM
95bat
Racer

Yeah that's what the guy said in the video above, but it's stupid. Why give the driver a huge dark spot in a low car so you run **** over, but all the other drivers are safe!

I dunno, I'm just frustrated. The ES had LEDs that we're 100x better. Even our 8 year old RX has lights that blow this car out of the water. And of course the LS lights are excellent. To get an "acceptable" rating or whatever he said is absolutely pathetic on a premium added option.
Old 02-24-24, 09:09 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 384 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah that's what the guy said in the video above, but it's stupid. Why give the driver a huge dark spot in a low car so you run **** over, but all the other drivers are safe!

I dunno, I'm just frustrated. The ES had LEDs that we're 100x better. Even our 8 year old RX has lights that blow this car out of the water. And of course the LS lights are excellent. To get an "acceptable" rating or whatever he said is absolutely pathetic on a premium added option.
It's cuz when they designed those lights, laws got change due to many new cars w/ LED headlights like the Corolla and Jeep Wrangler have really bad glare at oncoming traffic, but the fancy adaptive led headlights like the ones found on Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus in Europe weren't approved by NHTSA in North America yet. I think they finally approved them 2022, I think we'll start to see more and more of those fancy adaptive headlights like the ones in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP35Bs86dFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSUNxSdINTE
Old 02-25-24, 05:58 AM
95bat
Racer

Those are cool and all, but all the older cars I've had are better (ES, LS, and RX). If the ES lights are legal, they should be legal in the IS too.
Old 02-26-24, 09:22 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Our triples seem like form over function. The factory aim on these lights is terrible, and the fact that they were designed with a sharp cutoff doesn't help; the projector-style headlamps on other models (HID or LED) have a soft cutoff so you still get diffuse light further down the road while not blinding other drivers. I had to adjust the left-to-right on my passenger headlight because from the factory, the beam was crossing over practically the entire opposing lane of traffic; no wonder I was getting high beamed by other drivers constantly. After I adjusted it a few ticks toward the passenger side of the car, I was able to raise it a bit to better cover my lane of travel and not get high beamed by others. It worked out ok so far, but it's far from ideal; they could have been better aimed from the factory, let alone designed better. It's a shame because they look really nice, but the standard single projector is far better from a functional point of view.
Old 02-26-24, 11:07 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by wfibear
Our triples seem like form over function. The factory aim on these lights is terrible, and the fact that they were designed with a sharp cutoff doesn't help; the projector-style headlamps on other models (HID or LED) have a soft cutoff so you still get diffuse light further down the road while not blinding other drivers. I had to adjust the left-to-right on my passenger headlight because from the factory, the beam was crossing over practically the entire opposing lane of traffic; no wonder I was getting high beamed by other drivers constantly. After I adjusted it a few ticks toward the passenger side of the car, I was able to raise it a bit to better cover my lane of travel and not get high beamed by others. It worked out ok so far, but it's far from ideal; they could have been better aimed from the factory, let alone designed better. It's a shame because they look really nice, but the standard single projector is far better from a functional point of view.
How do you adjust them left to right? I only found up and down.

I finally said screw it snd raised them 2 full rotations lol they might need to come down a bit, but they point really far down the road now. Nobody flashed me yet, but they reflect off traffic signs at a distance so I think I need to lower then to not hit signs.
Old 02-26-24, 12:06 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you adjust them left to right? I only found up and down.

I finally said screw it snd raised them 2 full rotations lol they might need to come down a bit, but they point really far down the road now. Nobody flashed me yet, but they reflect off traffic signs at a distance so I think I need to lower then to not hit signs.
It's in the hole closer to the fender. It's kind of a pain to properly find the screw down there too, just sticking the screwdriver in there I wasn't able to find it easily. Ended up shining a flashlight around until I could see the screw on the back of the headlight through the hole and then carefully feeding the screwdriver down to it.

Quick Reply: Triplebeam headlights, not that great.