IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Triplebeam headlights, not that great.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-23, 05:56 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Triplebeam headlights, not that great.

How do you guys feel about the triple beam headlights?

I did my first night ride on a twisty hilly poorly lit road and man I did not feel comfortable AT ALL. It doesnt seem like the throw on these lights are very far. The beam pattern from side to side was good. At times I could not see the top of the hill or the street signs saying the road was curving. Highbeams helped alot, but I was underwhelmed with how these lights performed considering the price point. I had alot more trust in my 2016 tacoma halogen headlights.

I haven't adjusted the headlights, it's just factory settings. Without blinding oncoming traffic, have you guys adjusted the bulbs to be tilted up slightly?

What are you guys thoughts on the triple beam?

Old 10-08-23, 06:02 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I agree with you, but only with the IS. I had the LED headlights on my ES and they were significantly brighter. Maybe the IS has smaller LEDs or something? I haven't tried adjusting them, didn't know it was possible.
Old 10-08-23, 06:18 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

I personally liked how bright the projector headlights are from my is350. Its reach seemed to be much better as well but thats just me. I havent really driven my IS500 a lot at night but in the few instances I did in the mountain pass near my house, it was not the best. It felt that projection was aimed lower than what I am used to.
Old 10-08-23, 06:38 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95bat
I agree with you, but only with the IS. I had the LED headlights on my ES and they were significantly brighter. Maybe the IS has smaller LEDs or something? I haven't tried adjusting them, didn't know it was possible.
Originally Posted by subtl
I personally liked how bright the projector headlights are from my is350. Its reach seemed to be much better as well but thats just me. I havent really driven my IS500 a lot at night but in the few instances I did in the mountain pass near my house, it was not the best. It felt that projection was aimed lower than what I am used to.
I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 10-08-23, 07:06 AM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

I drive with the auto feature on. It uses the bright lights much more than I would. It makes a big difference especially on roads with hills and twists.
The following users liked this post:
HighRevs (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 07:53 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoHorns
I drive with the auto feature on. It uses the bright lights much more than I would. It makes a big difference especially on roads with hills and twists.
The highbeams were an absolute requirement on my drive. I just didn't expect for the "premium" headlights to be this bad.
Old 10-08-23, 07:54 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Have you lowered your suspension by chance?
Old 10-08-23, 08:00 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by macmaster
Have you lowered your suspension by chance?
Nope, stock suspension.
Old 10-08-23, 08:02 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Nope, stock suspension.
Ahh, well don’t ever lower your car then lol. I think the headlights are adequate but they do have a sharp cut off and dont go too far.
Old 10-08-23, 08:16 AM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if I would feel comfortable in any car at night on a twisty, hilly, poorly lit road, but if I drove it, I would take my BMW.

They make the best headlights in the business....IMHO.

I've seen them shine light around corners from a slight twist of my steering wheel.
Old 10-08-23, 08:16 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by macmaster
Ahh, well don’t ever lower your car then lol. I think the headlights are adequate but they do have a sharp cut off and dont go too far.
haha welp, lowering the car is on my to do list. If/when i do lower the car, ill adjust the headlights to compensate.

"Adequate" is the right word. I just wish it was better all things considered.
macmaster (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 08:20 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kappa500
I don't know if I would feel comfortable in any car at night on a twisty, hilly, poorly lit road, but if I drove it, I would take my BMW.

They make the best headlights in the business....IMHO.

I've seen them shine light around corners from a slight twist of my steering wheel.
Funny thing is, it was just a night cruise, nothing aggressive by any means. If it was an aggressive drive, I probably would have backed off because of the headlights.
Old 10-08-23, 08:32 AM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Funny thing is, it was just a night cruise, nothing aggressive by any means. If it was an aggressive drive, I probably would have backed off because of the headlights.
The Lexus lights make me think appearance had a priority over functionality.... especially in the IS. They do look great.
Old 10-08-23, 09:20 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I had to adjust mine upward. From the factory they were too low and I couldn’t see far enough ahead to feel safe. Once moved up they are very good. Not great, but good. To adjust is a few twist of a long screwdriver. Fairly simple.
Old 10-08-23, 10:41 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 375 Likes on 165 Posts

I think because they're so laser focused they seem to not be that good but they are. Anyway, here's how to adjust them, use that screw and turn either left or right while pointing at a wall while your car is straight and level.

jsch222 (10-08-23)

Quick Reply: Triplebeam headlights, not that great.