IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Disable keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 09:32 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Disable keyless entry

I know there’s a way to put the remote to a low power mode by press and hold the lock button followed by 2 click of the unlock button. However if I understand correctly this only temporarily disable the low power mode.

Is there anyway to disable the keyless entry so that it won’t automatically unlock when I have my key in my pocket and touch or pull the driver door handle?

Reason I ask is to mitigate the security concern.

thanks!
Old 10-15-23, 10:49 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

You can keep your keys in a Faraday Pouch that blocks the key signal, wrap in foil or you can have the dealer disable the smart key access. It's not one of the items you can disable in the vehicle menu. C can only be done by the dealer, A you can do.
The following users liked this post:
Vindahawk4 (11-03-23)
Old 10-15-23, 10:58 PM
iVtecV8
Driver

Thanks! To make sure I understand it correctly, smart access is the same as keyless entry?

Does dealership disable the keyless entry for free?
Old 10-15-23, 11:04 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iVtecV8
Thanks! To make sure I understand it correctly, smart access is the same as keyless entry?

Does dealership disable the keyless entry for free?
Yes it's the same thing if you're talking about when you approach a door, you touch the inside and it unlocks, not when you use your remote. The dealer will probably charge but if you recently bought the car they would probably do it for free.
Old 10-16-23, 04:19 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by iVtecV8
However if I understand correctly this only temporarily disable the low power mode.
It will disable the smart touch entry for as long as a button is pressed on the remote. So if you disable it and don't press a button for say like 2 days, then it will be disabled for those 2 days.
Old 10-24-23, 09:12 AM
iVtecV8
Driver

I’m at the dealership with massive disappointment.

The tech did disable something but not what I wanted. After the settings changed, I cannot lock my car nor unlock my car with my remote, but when I walk up to my car it still automatically unlocks. It can still start the engine with the key in my pocket, but what they did is disable my key from locking and unlocking which is crazy.

The service guy and tech said it’s not possible to disable to feature where it unlocks itself when I walk up. Is this BS?

Now the tech is reverting the settings back to default.

They said the settings change I want is called comfort mode which they cannot disable because it’s not an option in the system….

Very confused and wasted 2.5 hours for this. When I called to make the appointment they said it’s possible. When I was waiting in the service center they said it’s possible and the tech know how. After I got my key back, it’s completely the opposite. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 10-24-23, 10:13 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Well that sucks. I guess if they were to disable it then you couldn't use the push-button start either, it may all be tied together. Your best bet then is a faraday pouch or wrapping your key in foil to block the signal for security purposes.
Old 03-11-24, 03:08 PM
Catam
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car broadcasting

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Well that sucks. I guess if they were to disable it then you couldn't use the push-button start either, it may all be tied together. Your best bet then is a faraday pouch or wrapping your key in foil to block the signal for security purposes.
True. On older models there is an option (Disable Keyless Entry with Elec. keys). Under Setup, Vehicle, Doors...
That turns the car broadcasting side OFF but allows the standard fob use to open & close plus start button.
The Faraday cages stop the key broadcasting (TX) only. It seems the car is still sending (TX) and becomes passive (RX) by periodically signals scanning for keys. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-11-24, 06:38 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 309 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a good chance they didn't know what they were doing. Best to find someone that has Techstream and play around with it.

The dealer told me I couldn't change the number of flashes on the one touch blinker in my GS, I did it myself in the parking lot with a google search.
The following users liked this post:
Benibiker1558 (03-11-24)
Old 03-12-24, 03:57 PM
Catam
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless entry

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
You can keep your keys in a Faraday Pouch that blocks the key signal, wrap in foil or you can have the dealer disable the smart key access. It's not one of the items you can disable in the vehicle menu. C can only be done by the dealer, A you can do.
Just came from the Regency dealer here in Vancouver BC and the job was done. I was explained that the keyless entry is linked with the handle inner sensory touch and they were able to disable this function. To get into the car I have to use the fob and press open as on the classic fob keys. If the key is not activated, the car remains locked until the fob is used. However the tactile sensor on the outside handle used to "swipe to lock" is still available. I am okay with that as long as the car is not actively looking for the key with RF signal.
I hope the combination of fob key power down, pouch and shut off keyless entry will make my RX safer against RF scanners.
I have just to drive it more and be aware for surprises... the software is huge and I believe not many technicians really understand the complete algorithm.
Old 03-12-24, 06:46 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catam
Just came from the Regency dealer here in Vancouver BC and the job was done. I was explained that the keyless entry is linked with the handle inner sensory touch and they were able to disable this function. To get into the car I have to use the fob and press open as on the classic fob keys. If the key is not activated, the car remains locked until the fob is used. However the tactile sensor on the outside handle used to "swipe to lock" is still available. I am okay with that as long as the car is not actively looking for the key with RF signal.
I hope the combination of fob key power down, pouch and shut off keyless entry will make my RX safer against RF scanners.
I have just to drive it more and be aware for surprises... the software is huge and I believe not many technicians really understand the complete algorithm.
That’s great, it is what the owner’s manual said you could have programmed.