IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

PPF reliability and worthiness - Long term and Short term

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 08:09 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
Partial PPF is really a mid way down but paint mismatch down the line is a question that arises. And removal of PPF after 5-6 years is yet to be discovered, will the detailers take the same level of enthusiasm and care when you ask them to remove a PPF and the labor charge will also not be cheap if we get a full car PPF because you need a ton of patience and time for that task and it's not the fancy stuff with nice clean and foam wash but rather extreme care and steamer, hair dryer and skill.
Well if I got PPF I would never ever take it off, even if I had a white car and the plastic was yellowing slightly. What’s the point of taking it off when you spent so much to put it on and it’s still doing its job?
Old 10-30-23, 08:15 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

Let's face it. We all have our areas of soft heart. Some spend all they can on their house or maybe a boat or a fancy motorcycle or horses or a fancy car. If it's on a car, they may want to go all in and get Michelin tires, PPF, ceramic coating, ML sound system, and may even only use Amsoil. But if that's the way that makes life more pleasant for us in our dream world--I'm for it.

Much better than shooting up in your arm or gambling it away--my opinion.

--
The following 4 users liked this post by ronkelley:
chartram (10-31-23), DLPTony (10-31-23), HighRevs (10-31-23), HydrantHunter (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 10:18 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I got full ppf I love it but to say it doesn’t come with cons is wild. For example I have a slight slight dent in my roof rail that would be 150 to fix with glue pull but now there’s a risk of my ppf blemishing if they pull it with hot glue so I may have to live with a small ding but perfect paint until I want to take the ppf off
Old 10-31-23, 03:52 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
….will the detailers take the same level of enthusiasm and care when you ask them to remove a PPF and the labor charge will also not be cheap if we get a full car PPF because you need a ton of patience and time for that task and it's not the fancy stuff with nice clean and foam wash but rather extreme care and steamer, hair dryer and skill.
All of that goes without saying, as far as I’m concerned.

E.g. There are a ton of doctors in the world, but not all are ‘good’ ones. 😎

No service is without risk, but do your due diligence and the odds will be in your favor.

My installer was a Mike Forsythe recommendation, Vishal’s team is constantly busy and mostly works on higher-end new and classic cars. Although my little Lexus was the Punch Buggy in the group that week, the level of service and attention to detail was next level.

Blu will be okay. 😉

The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
HighRevs (10-31-23), HydrantHunter (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23, 07:38 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Well if I got PPF I would never ever take it off, even if I had a white car and the plastic was yellowing slightly. What’s the point of taking it off when you spent so much to put it on and it’s still doing its job?
I doubt we can keep the PPF on for the entirety of the car life. It has to be removed and re-applied, esp with all the nicks and rockchips that the PPF will absorb, the wave patterning of adhesive, UV damage, edges pulling themselves causing dust to show up, and how AZ / TX / CA / FL high heat may impact it over the time is another thing to be aware of. All things combined it will need a replacement.

That said, it's not like I want to buy PPF for my IS 500 to sell it in pristine condition so that other person can enjoy it's paint but it is a question for me about the PPF investment, the car's a keeper and won't be sold.

Last edited by LexLight; 10-31-23 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HydrantHunter (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23, 08:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,955 Likes on 2,489 Posts

If PPF gets to a state of being totally trashed then without it your car with a total disaster. And no removing it doesn't damage your paint. It's true that if the film is very old removal takes many hours but it shouldn't have been allowed to get to that point. I'm talking 15+ years.
Old 10-31-23, 08:59 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

To the OP - everybody's opinions in this thread are 100% on point. It's a personal decision. I'll offer some last real advice:

- If your car is light (silver, white), you're less likely to need PPF because scratches don't show up that badly on those colors to begin with. If your car is dark (black, blue, dark gray), PPF will be helpful as swirl marks and scratches are more apparent. Additionally, dust and dirt on PPF shows up less on dark cars than white cars.
- If your car normally gets trashed (by snow, rocks, or self-inflicted), you should get PPF.
- If you don't have a garage and you love your car, you should get PPF.
- If money is tight, like you're having to save money for something else currently, don't get PPF.
- If money is not tight and you're just frugal ask yourself is the cost of PPF <0.5% of my net worth? If it is then you should get it because you shouldn't lose any sleep over that ever.
The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
ICEforever (10-31-23), LexLight (11-01-23), MYIS500 (10-31-23), Sinam (10-31-23)