IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Low RPM chirp

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23 | 11:04 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
So I went for a little drive this morning. I wanted to see if there was anything specific that I needed to keep in mind when letting the dealer know about this. Well, here is what I did and what I found.

When I cranked it in the garage, it did not make the noise. I suspect that's because it was a cold start and idling around 1100 RPM. I drove casually for about 12 minutes while things got warmed up. I pulled over into an empty church parking lot to see if the noise was occurring. Long story short, it was. I tried turning the car off, waiting about a minute, and turning it back on again. At first, there was no noise, but after idling for about 15 seconds, it returned.

So then, I decided to do some "spirited" driving, as best as I could with the light rain that was going on. Noting too crazy, just Sport S and manual for a bit, maybe 10-15 minutes of that. Then, I started to head home, which took about 10 minutes. So, I think I was driving for around 50 minutes altogether. Then, when I returned to my garage, the noise was gone. Yesterday, I heard it very easily in the garage due to the walls. Today, nothing. I tried lightly revving the engine to see if I could hear a change in the engine sound as the RPM dropped - nothing. Weird!
This is exactly what I noticed this morning. Didn't hear it shortly after startup. After the car warmed up enough to idle at normal warm idle, I could hear it. Drove around for a while, and when I got home, didn't hear it anymore. Weird. What I heard when it was making the sound though sounded like your video, although mine was a bit quieter vs the normal engine noise. I just passed 3000 miles.

Normally I'd say belt, but the thing I noticed is the chirping kinda sounds like it's in time with the DI HPFP. If it is in fact the HPFP, it might make sense to not hear it on a cold start because I'm pretty sure D4S runs on the port injectors for a while until the engine temperature has reached a certain point, and maybe you simply don't hear it after a while of driving is from everything warming up. I was googling around a bit and other people with cars with D4S heads (most notably the FRS/BRZ/86 folks) have noticed the same thing and said it was the HPFP, but even some people with 2GR-FKS cars have noticed it too. I never had the issue on my GS350 (2GR-FSE), so I'm not sure why this car does, maybe the HPFP design is sufficiently different. But apparently this chirping is considered normal in these pumps?

If the dealer says this is normal, I know there have in the past been HPFP covers, which came on the 1UR-FSE in the LS460, and apparently either came with or at least fit on the IS-F's 2UR-GSE; I don't know if they would fit ours, no idea if the pump is different than in the past. But that would be a way to try and mitigate the sound, if it fits. It's two separate foam-lined plastic parts that snap together over the pump, 12606-38010 and 12605-38010. You'd need two of each since each cylinder bank has its own HPFP.

But this is all speculation anyway, I don't know for sure that it's the fuel pump. Might be worth some investigation though.

Last edited by wfibear; 11-10-23 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-10-23 | 11:22 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by wfibear
This is exactly what I noticed this morning. Didn't hear it shortly after startup. After the car warmed up enough to idle at normal warm idle, I could hear it. Drove around for a while, and when I got home, didn't hear it anymore. Weird. What I heard when it was making the sound though sounded like your video, although mine was a bit quieter vs the normal engine noise. I just passed 3000 miles.

Normally I'd say belt, but the thing I noticed is the chirping kinda sounds like it's in time with the DI HPFP. If it is in fact the HPFP, it might make sense to not hear it on a cold start because I'm pretty sure D4S runs on the port injectors for a while until the engine temperature has reached a certain point, and maybe you simply don't hear it after a while of driving is from everything warming up. I was googling around a bit and other people with cars with D4S heads (most notably the FRS/BRZ/86 folks) have noticed the same thing and said it was the HPFP, but even some people with 2GR-FKS cars have noticed it too. I never had the issue on my GS350 (2GR-FSE), so I'm not sure why this car does, maybe the HPFP design is sufficiently different. But apparently this chirping is considered normal in these pumps?

If the dealer says this is normal, I know there have in the past been HPFP covers, which came on the 1UR-FSE in the LS460, and apparently either came with or at least fit on the IS-F's 2UR-GSE; I don't know if they would fit ours, no idea if the pump is different than in the past. But that would be a way to try and mitigate the sound, if it fits. It's two separate foam-lined plastic parts that snap together over the pump, 12606-38010 and 12605-38010. You'd need two of each since each cylinder bank has its own HPFP.

But this is all speculation anyway, I don't know for sure that it's the fuel pump. Might be worth some investigation though.
If it helps, it seems like the sound is coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. But, it is audible on both sides. Maybe it's a coincidence that both sides aren't making the sound at the same time.
Old 11-10-23 | 11:41 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

If it helps, it seems like the sound is coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. But, it is audible on both sides. Maybe it's a coincidence that both sides aren't making the sound at the same time.
I actually had to run out for something and got back home before my car stopped chirping. Popped the hood and got my ear down both in front of the belts and by each pump. It’s definitely the pumps on my car, both sides. Passenger side slightly louder.

Video

I looked more closely at the pump design too and those covers for the older URs definitely won’t fit either. Wonder what the dealer would say. General internet seems to think it’s a normal thing, “DI crickets” I’ve seen it called.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23 | 04:25 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macmaster
Not sure about this but sometimes I hear a high pitched whirl when foot is off the gas and coming to a stop. For me it only happens at one particular intersection which is uphill and is only audible when my window is rolled down. It's a constant whirl, almost like a buzz, rather than a chirp like yours. Yours sounds like there are crickets in your car or something. I think mine could be this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...depressed.html
Yours could be the Hill Start Assist system. Does it only do it while stopped at a hill? Once you take off the noise stops and only happens when stopped on a hill? That's how the system works, it holds the brakes so you don't roll back but it makes a whirling electrical sound, which is what the system sounds like.
Old 11-10-23 | 06:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Hey man,

I have had the EXACT same chirp and it is very audible since I start it up in the winter when it is stored in the parking garage and let it idle for 15 - 20 minutes. The chirping noise always catches my attention as it cycles intermittently as the idle goes up and down. I have noticed it since I purchased mine in 2017. I have an RCF, but since the engine is the same, once the idle settles down after a cold start, the chirp starts. Have had my RCF for 7+ years and it has always been there since it was almost new. I would not worry much about it. It is normal.
The following 3 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
arentz07 (11-10-23), wfibear (11-10-23), wthrman2 (11-11-23)
Old 11-10-23 | 06:52 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Yours could be the Hill Start Assist system. Does it only do it while stopped at a hill? Once you take off the noise stops and only happens when stopped on a hill? That's how the system works, it holds the brakes so you don't roll back but it makes a whirling electrical sound, which is what the system sounds like.
Thanks! I can't remember if it happens when I'm stopped but yes - as I approach the stop uphill I hear it.
Old 11-11-23 | 06:21 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Hey man,

I have had the EXACT same chirp and it is very audible since I start it up in the winter when it is stored in the parking garage and let it idle for 15 - 20 minutes. The chirping noise always catches my attention as it cycles intermittently as the idle goes up and down. I have noticed it since I purchased mine in 2017. I have an RCF, but since the engine is the same, once the idle settles down after a cold start, the chirp starts. Have had my RCF for 7+ years and it has always been there since it was almost new. I would not worry much about it. It is normal.
Very interesting. I guess it's possible that it's the infamous "cricket' sound from the high-pressure fuel pumps. If so, I'm not too concerned. I still might let the service advisor know about it and demonstrate it for them. If it's been there since new, I'm not sure how I haven't noticed it before. That is the part I struggle with.
Old 11-11-23 | 08:26 AM
arentz07

I was able to get my appointment moved up to Wednesday. Hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it. I plan to show them the videos if they say they can't replicate the noise.
Old 11-11-23 | 05:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting. I guess it's possible that it's the infamous "cricket' sound from the high-pressure fuel pumps. If so, I'm not too concerned. I still might let the service advisor know about it and demonstrate it for them. If it's been there since new, I'm not sure how I haven't noticed it before. That is the part I struggle with.
Yeah. they are both two separate sounds. Chirping is one and the crickets ticking is the other. The cricket sound is typical of direct injected Lexus cars and comes from the injectors ticking away. I have it both on my '19 IS350 F-Sport and the RCF. Then, there is the chriping noise that I heard in your video, which is intermittent once the idle drops after a cold start. Once the idle settles around 800 rpm, the chriping noise abruptly starts and goes for like a minute or two and then goes away. The cycle continues, if that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-11-23 | 05:23 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah. they are both two separate sounds. Chirping is one and the crickets ticking is the other. The cricket sound is typical of direct injected Lexus cars and comes from the injectors ticking away. I have it both on my '19 IS350 F-Sport and the RCF. Then, there is the chriping noise that I heard in your video, which is intermittent once the idle drops after a cold start. Once the idle settles around 800 rpm, the chriping noise abruptly starts and goes for like a minute or two and then goes away. The cycle continues, if that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.
Mine definitely seems to last more than a couple minutes. And it's funny, people must have different ideas on what a cricket sounds like. To me, the high-pitched chirps sound like crickets. The ticking/clattering is something I'm used to. Just direct injection things.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would make sense if the noise was intermittent, since the car switches between port and direct injection for a "cleaning cycle" once in a while, if I recall.

Last edited by arentz07; 11-11-23 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-15-23 | 08:20 AM
arentz07

I took the car in today, and the dealership techs either didn't hear it or assumed it was normal injector and/or high-pressure fuel pump noise. <sigh>
Old 11-15-23 | 08:48 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

I took the car in today, and the dealership techs either didn't hear it or assumed it was normal injector and/or high-pressure fuel pump noise. <sigh>
Guess as long as it doesn't get louder to the point where the neighbor kids say "here comes the car with the crickets!!!" .
Old 11-15-23 | 09:10 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Double post . I will say I've made it a point to listen to my engine at start-up, after warmed up, after a drive, and before shut-down and I don't hear what you hear. Maybe it'll come later with more miles or my hearing just isn't tuned like yours.
Old 11-15-23 | 09:12 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Double post . I will say I've made it a point to listen to my engine at start-up, after warmed up, after a drive, and before shut-down and I don't hear what you hear. Maybe it'll come later with more miles or my hearing just isn't tuned like yours.
To be fair. it may have been occurring for me the whole time I've owned it, and I only noticed it because the sound was reflecting off a retaining wall as I drove by it with my windows down. I thought it was strange how loud it was. Today, I didn't hear it while leaving the dealership.
Old 12-06-23 | 03:50 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Default Chirping engine

There has been a lot of discussion over on FB about certain gas etc causing chirping in the engine. Many people who use COSTCO seem to be getting the chirp. What gas are people using? I’ve maybe filled up 10 tanks with Costco? All the other ones have been from BP and I don’t think have the chirp but going to stop using Costco now.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (12-07-23)

Quick Reply: Low RPM chirp