IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Interior Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 10:43 AM
supremeD
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS500 Interior Rattles

Hello, I'm new here. May I ask for a recommended repair shop or individual mechanic who is experienced in fixing interior rattle/buzzing noise at the Bay Area? Driver side window switch and inside the glovebox to be specific.
I searched around the discussion and found Exact Motorsports has been highly recommended multiple times. Does anyone know if they are good at it?
Thank you so much!
Old 12-08-23, 10:47 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by supremeD
Hello, I'm new here. May I ask for a recommended repair shop or individual mechanic who is experienced in fixing interior rattle/buzzing noise at the Bay Area? Driver side window switch and inside the glovebox to be specific.
I searched around the discussion and found Exact Motorsports has been highly recommended multiple times. Does anyone know if they are good at it?
Thank you so much!
I have the exact same rattles but undecided if I'll do anything about it. FYI, it's not inside the glovebox. It's somewhere above the glovebox I believe, just under the pleather (injection molded plastic) dashboard cover because if I press on that it goes away.

You'll 100% want to go to the dealership for this. It's free. Rattles are covered under the basic warranty for 4 years.
Old 12-08-23, 10:53 AM
supremeD
8th Gear

Originally Posted by macmaster
I have the exact same rattles but undecided if I'll do anything about it.
You'll 100% want to go to the dealership for this. It's free. Rattles are covered under the basic warranty for 4 years.
Thanks for the advice! I've already visited different dealership service centers for the driver-side window switch rattle. It was gone for a week and then it came back recently.
For the glovebox part, I also undecided to let anyone take action on it. Highly concerned that either it's a fix or 3x times rattles.
Old 12-08-23, 11:04 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice! I've already visited different dealership service centers for the driver-side window switch rattle. It was gone for a week and then it came back recently.
For that one, you might be able to fix it yourself. It may not be pretty but you may be able to sneak a slim piece of paper or shim under the plastic trim to keep it tight. If you press on it while driving does the rattle go away?

For the glovebox part, I also undecided to let anyone take action on it. Highly concerned that either it's a fix or 3x times rattles.
Exactly. I'm waiting til close to 4 years on mine to 1) see if it gets worse, as its only intermittent now 2) see if new rattles/squeaks appear 3) see if it still bothers me. Maybe I won't care in 2 more years. Then they can take care of it all at once just before the warranty expires.
Old 12-08-23, 11:15 AM
supremeD
8th Gear

Exactly. I'm waiting til close to 4 years on mine to 1) see if it gets worse, as its only intermittent now 2) see if new rattles/squeaks appear 3) see if it still bothers me. Maybe I won't care in 2 more years. Then they can take care of it all at once just before the warranty expires.
That's a great idea to wait till the end of the warranty and have them all fixed in one shot. Thanks a lot! I remember the warranty is 50,000 miles or 4 years, whichever occurs first right?
Old 12-08-23, 11:17 AM
supremeD
8th Gear

For that one, you might be able to fix it yourself. It may not be pretty but you may be able to sneak a slim piece of paper or shim under the plastic trim to keep it tight. If you press on it while driving does the rattle go away?
Yes, it happens on rough roads and when I put pressure on the trim, it stops.
Old 12-08-23, 11:29 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

That's a great idea to wait till the end of the warranty and have them all fixed in one shot. Thanks a lot! I remember the warranty is 50,000 miles or 4 years, whichever occurs first right?
Yeah that's correct.

Yes, it happens on rough roads and when I put pressure on the trim, it stops.
Yeah so that means there's a gap somewhere, which means in theory it can be filled. I haven't dedicated any time to try to fix it, however. I know Lexus panels and tolerances are already pretty narrow so it could be hard to fix with a naked eye.
Old 12-08-23, 11:37 AM
supremeD
8th Gear

I know Lexus panels and tolerances are already pretty narrow so it could be hard to fix with a naked eye.
I believe so, the funny thing is when I test drove with a technician from Lexus service the other day, he told me my car is quiet, any other sports car is louder than mine. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to trigger the rattles but definitely on rough roads. And that's the hard part because I find the road condition around the Lexus service center is so good that it's hard for them to duplicate and verify if the rattle is fixed or not.
Old 12-09-23, 01:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I believe so, the funny thing is when I test drove with a technician from Lexus service the other day, he told me my car is quiet, any other sports car is louder than mine. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to trigger the rattles but definitely on rough roads. And that's the hard part because I find the road condition around the Lexus service center is so good that it's hard for them to duplicate and verify if the rattle is fixed or not.
You didn't buy a sports car. His argument is invalid.

Here is how it should be handled.

My wife and I have had a sunroof rattle in our X3. We took it in for service, and I rode with the shop foreman to show him the issue. He noticed it and said, "Yeah, that is not going to work, is it?", instead of telling me "Well, you bought a car with a sunroof. They make noise." So they got to work fixing the issue. Sadly, it's still there, though it is better than before and seems to completely go away on some days. But, either way, they didn't say they could not replicate the issue or give me any excuses. You should expect the same from your Lexus service department.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Lwerewolf (12-10-23), supremeD (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 04:17 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You didn't buy a sports car. His argument is invalid.

Here is how it should be handled.

My wife and I have had a sunroof rattle in our X3. We took it in for service, and I rode with the shop foreman to show him the issue. He noticed it and said, "Yeah, that is not going to work, is it?", instead of telling me "Well, you bought a car with a sunroof. They make noise." So they got to work fixing the issue. Sadly, it's still there, though it is better than before and seems to completely go away on some days. But, either way, they didn't say they could not replicate the issue or give me any excuses. You should expect the same from your Lexus service department.
Technically its a sports sedan lol. All jokes aside, I've had rattles in multiple lexus' before. I'd say its to be expected especially since most of these cars are mass produced. I dont have that noise you guys are describing but mine is on the driver door. I used to notice it a lot when ever the window was down. But since I installed a axle back its almost like it disappeared or I'm just going deaf from the increase in sound lol
The following users liked this post:
supremeD (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 10:13 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

Mine is amazingly silent with just an occasional buzz from the driver's side speaker but when I touch it it goes away. Minis were notorious for rattles; I would have a friend drive while I searched out all the rattles and would stuff little pieces of felt in the seams near the rattles.
The following users liked this post:
supremeD (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 03:15 PM
supremeD
8th Gear

Originally Posted by arentz07
You should expect the same from your Lexus service department.
I will take in my car next week with a different dealer and see what will they do.
Thanks!
Old 12-10-23, 03:17 PM
supremeD
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Mine is amazingly silent with just an occasional buzz from the driver's side speaker but when I touch it it goes away. Minis were notorious for rattles; I would have a friend drive while I searched out all the rattles and would stuff little pieces of felt in the seams near the rattles.
I'd say I'm jealous lol. Sometimes the rattles drives me to think about trading in for a 24 is500, but I know it's crazy.
Old 12-10-23, 06:20 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd say I'm jealous lol. Sometimes the rattles drives me to think about trading in for a 24 is500, but I know it's crazy.
not crazy at all but I actually have the same rattles but to be honest my 2018 s5 had way more. It’s actjallly very rare for a car to be rattle free but I bet yours is more like buzzing. What you can do is find a rough road and either take the technician on it around the dealer or take it to a different dealer. My glove box rattle kind of went away but there are some definite rattles over rough roads but it’s just more common these days. My buddies Maserati MC20 which is a 300k car has a minor dash rattle but again people like you and I are more sensitive than others.
Old 12-10-23, 07:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by vpar23
It’s actually very rare for a car to be rattle free.
Not really - My LC is rattle free as is Silverado. My ISF and my last truck were also rattle free

Quick Reply: IS500 Interior Rattles