IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

This Blue is FIRE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 07:23 AM
madpistol
8th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me, part of the calculus was was Lexus/Toyota reliability. I’ve had a Toyota Solara and Tacoma before, and both were absolutely exceptional. But I couldn’t get out of my mind that the M440i GC I got has had zero issues since I got it. No faults, no odd glitches (strange software issues, but those can be solved with a restart), I haven’t even had to add oil to it, which is common with various BMW motors. The car has been virtually flawless, and I realized that getting rid of vehicle with ZERO issues was a risk. It was a dumb decision on my part.

The biggest thing I noticed almost immediately was the suspension. There was nothing wrong with it as it is very comfortable, but the dampening… it just didn’t measure up. Most of the time, it damped out bumps without issue, but every once in a while, I could feel a somewhat harsh vibration through the cabin over certain bumps. This is something that I never felt on my M440i GC. Every time I hit a bump in it, you feel the hit, and that’s it. No residual vibration through the cabin. It’s difficult to describe, but it makes the M440i GC at once both more sporty and more comfortable. Not sure how that’s possible, but that’s what I felt.

Had anyone else felt this before?

Last edited by madpistol; 01-31-24 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 10:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by madpistol
Trust me, part of the calculus was was Lexus/Toyota reliability. I’ve had a Toyota Solara and Tacoma before, and both were absolutely exceptional. But I couldn’t get out of my mind that the M440i GC I got has had zero issues since I got it. No faults, no odd glitches (strange software issues, but those can be solved with a restart), I haven’t even had to add oil to it, which is common with various BMW motors. The car has been virtually flawless, and I realized that getting rid of vehicle with ZERO issues was a risk. It was a dumb decision on my part.

The biggest thing I noticed almost immediately was the suspension. There was nothing wrong with it as it is very comfortable, but the dampening… it just didn’t measure up. Most of the time, it damped out bumps without issue, but every once in a while, I could feel a somewhat harsh vibration through the cabin over certain bumps. This is something that I never felt on my M440i GC. Every time I hit a bump in it, you feel the hit, and that’s it. No residual vibration through the cabin. It’s difficult to describe, but it makes the M440i GC at once both more sporty and more comfortable. Not sure how that’s possible, but that’s what I felt.

Not at all. I think my IS 500 rides equally as well as my wife's X3. lol
Old 01-31-24, 11:25 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought my M440i Gran Coupe back.
props to you going back to you’re m440i GC. I honestly couldn’t stand mine. At first it was fun, all the sounds it made. Then when it got down to it I honestly didn’t like it anymore. It was always a rough ride and not to mention all the tech issues I had with it. Personally I like the performance of my IS500. Never have a dull moment with it. It just feels faster to me. But hey to each their own. Surprised you didn’t get an M3 or M4 xdrive.
Old 01-31-24, 11:39 AM
dj5
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

It was an emotional process. I had wanted a Lexus IS 500 for a longtime. I saw an opportunity, and took it. (Having a bad experience at the local BMW dealership was the catalyst) Dealership hit me about $5000 total, plus a bigger payment for my M440i GC (still cheaper than the IS 500 payment).

When it was all said and done, I just couldn’t justify keeping a car that was going to cost me more per month, got worse gas mileage, had a higher insurance premium, and yet I wasn’t completely in love with it. It’s a great car, but the current generation of BMWs are so good that it made the IS 500 feel like a step backwards. I wasn’t expecting that to happen, honestly.
Expensive buyer's remorse but I guess that's better than being stuck with something you don't enjoy. I usually have buyers remorse on spending money on a new vehicle, that's why I keep my vehicles for a long time. Glad you were able to get your BMW back. Roll Tide

Old 01-31-24, 11:56 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

But I couldn’t get out of my mind that the M440i GC I got has had zero issues since I got it. No faults, no odd glitches (strange software issues, but those can be solved with a restart), I haven’t even had to add oil to it, which is common with various BMW motors.
I could be wrong, but isn't the m440i GC like....2 years old?
Old 01-31-24, 01:03 PM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

I've only had mine for a month or so but it feels solid as a rock, I even started going over the speed bumps at a faster pace as they are hardly noticeable.
Old 01-31-24, 05:53 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Pro's and con's exist for different vehicles and its great as a consumer that we have so many options to chose from to select what we really value the most. I wish the IS500 had a stiffer suspension (even if it was just stiff as my 330, which pales compared to M-sport suspensions) ; I'd swap the transmissions between the 2 cars in a heartbeat. The 8 speed in the BMW is ultra smooth and rapid shifting. But there is not a single engine in the entire BMW lineup that I would take over the V8 in the IS500. As I've written a few times on this forum: 50 years from now little kids will be clicking on videos of the Lexus V8 to hear what an internal combustion engine sounded like back in the jurassic period. And styling, hands down in my humble opinion - the IS500 is the best looking, 4-door sports sedan currently on the market. BMW styling is good, but not spectacular, and seems to change so little from gen to gen. Again, subjective view. But both brand make top notch cars.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 01-31-24 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
arentz07 (01-31-24), wthrman2 (02-01-24)
Old 01-31-24, 07:45 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Okay then, let’s return to our regularly scheduled programming. Dude wasn’t happy, got it, next. 😎
Old 01-31-24, 07:49 PM
madpistol
8th Gear

Originally Posted by macmaster
I could be wrong, but isn't the m440i GC like....2 years old?
Yes, but my previous BMW (M340i) was in the shop 3 times for an issue with the 48V mild hybrid system and I had to top it up with oil a couple of times. My current M440i GC has the same powertrain, and I've had neither of those issues. Hopefully that will continue to hold true.
Old 01-31-24, 07:53 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Yes, but my previous BMW (M340i) was in the shop 3 times for an issue with the 48V mild hybrid system and I had to top it up with oil a couple of times.
Just to veer off topic even further (LOL - sorry Tony), but what was the problem with the mild hybrid system? I find this technology in the BMW quite neat, and does good at improving fuel economy.

Old 01-31-24, 07:59 PM
madpistol
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Just to veer off topic even further (LOL), but what was the problem with the mild hybrid system? I find this technology in the BMW quite neat, and does good at improving fuel economy.
There was an issue with a coolant pump on some of the initial units. It would spring a leak and get coolant on the belt/pulley assembly that connects the engine to the 48V MH system. It started out as a light stutter in the powertrain, but one night, I was sitting at a traffic light with the engine stopped (can't be defeated in '21 models a newer). The light turned green, I put my foot on the accelerator, and the car didn't move. I just heard a buzzing noise from the engine compartment. After 5 seconds of nothing, the actual starter for the motor kicked the motor back on and I was off. It was seriously scary. I thought I was going to have to get the car towed back to the dealership.

Anyway, after a couple of trips, BMW finally released a TSB on the fix, which basically meant replacing the pump, coolant assembly, belts, etc. Never had an issue again after that. Yay, technology!
The following users liked this post:
TGPCanada (01-31-24)