IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 Parking issue (Shift knob jitter back to P)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 05:03 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts
Exclamation IS 500 Parking issue (Shift **** jitter back to P)

Greetings,

My beloved IS 500 is showing unusual behavior that is really concerning me. I already had a very bad day on Thursday and Friday. Please bear with me for the full story.

Yesterday night (Saturday) it was a bit colder around 35F around 9PM, and my IS 500 did not see use for say 3-4 days (before this my car was not even used for more than 40 days and it was all fine). So I went to my garage, pushed the start button, the Redline was all the way up to 3K RPM as-usual. And I put it in Reverse from P. There was a very very very loud thud as if something hit. Usually when I start the vehicle I wait for 2-5 minutes. This time I was in urgency and immediately put in Reverse... Now after coming out of the driveway, I engaged D and then stopped for a while as I had to speak with someone and then put it in P then the Shift **** was jittering back to P as if it was not engaged to P properly. My car did not even pass that 615miles breakthrough mark. It was around 475miles when this happened.

After I drove like 15-20miles to a nearby Motel I did not notice that jittering. Now again today it is doing, it is not related to how long I drive or how fast I drive or which mode it is in. As I tried everything including applying brakes, revving to 5K RPM in S+ and doing Manual up/downshifts and it still happens.

One thing I would mention is sometimes when I engage the P to R there is a slight clunk, my guess when it happens is when we leave the Brake a bit early. Did I miss that brake period and screwed up something ? But that means the car is too weak, as it cannot even handle a bit of brake force difference, as I never experienced such with any cars I drove from rentals to etc. Is our shift **** system brittle as it operates by cable ?

The Parking Brake below the steering on the right side works by engaging although it disengages if we press the throttle in D / R modes (I suppose that's how it works)

Here's the video (Gdrive link) of that in action that I recorded. I'm really pissed off & very sad at this.
Any comments / thoughts please.

Old 01-14-24, 05:39 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
Greetings,

My beloved IS 500 is showing unusual behavior that is really concerning me. I already had a very bad day on Thursday and Friday. Please bear with me for the full story.

Yesterday night (Saturday) it was a bit colder around 35F around 9PM, and my IS 500 did not see use for say 3-4 days (before this my car was not even used for more than 40 days and it was all fine). So I went to my garage, pushed the start button, the Redline was all the way up to 3K RPM as-usual. And I put it in Reverse from P. There was a very very very loud thud as if something hit. Usually when I start the vehicle I wait for 2-5 minutes. This time I was in urgency and immediately put in Reverse... Now after coming out of the driveway, I engaged D and then stopped for a while as I had to speak with someone and then put it in P then the Shift **** was jittering back to P as if it was not engaged to P properly. My car did not even pass that 615miles breakthrough mark. It was around 475miles when this happened.

After I drove like 15-20miles to a nearby Motel I did not notice that jittering. Now again today it is doing, it is not related to how long I drive or how fast I drive or which mode it is in. As I tried everything including applying brakes, revving to 5K RPM in S+ and doing Manual up/downshifts and it still happens.

One thing I would mention is sometimes when I engage the P to R there is a slight clunk, my guess when it happens is when we leave the Brake a bit early. Did I miss that brake period and screwed up something ? But that means the car is too weak, as it cannot even handle a bit of brake force difference, as I never experienced such with any cars I drove from rentals to etc. Is our shift **** system brittle as it operates by cable ?

The Parking Brake below the steering on the right side works by engaging although it disengages if we press the throttle in D / R modes (I suppose that's how it works)

Here's the video (Gdrive link) of that in action that I recorded. I'm really pissed off & very sad at this.
Regarding the loud thud, that's usually caused by the electronic emergency brake that has engaged and then not used in a while. Sometimes if I wash the car and then park it, the next day there will be a loud thud where the emergency brakes sort of get stuck due to slight corrosion on the disks. It's all fine afterwards and I experience this every time I wash the car and then park it with the emergency brakes on auto. I haven't noticed anything regarding the shifter jittering though.

Try setting the emergency brake so it doesn't automatically set and see what happens as you drive off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
jsch222 (01-16-24), LexLight (01-15-24)
Old 01-14-24, 07:55 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

If you shifted into reverse while the car was at 3k RPM you definitely could have damaged something. Automatic transmissions don't handle that well.
Old 01-14-24, 08:19 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
If you shifted into reverse while the car was at 3k RPM you definitely could have damaged something. Automatic transmissions don't handle that well.
I think he meant he was idle and the redline was at 3k RPM, not he was traveling at 3k RPM and shifted into R. Lol if the car even lets you do that that would send you through the windshield.

The important question is, who were you meeting at the motel????
The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
Benibiker1558 (01-14-24), DLPTony (01-15-24), LexLight (01-15-24), subtl (01-15-24)
Old 01-14-24, 08:23 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,287 Likes on 996 Posts

Get the OBD2 port checked for codes.
Old 01-14-24, 08:24 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Greetings,

Well I read your post about 3 times and watched your video and don't see any issue. You put it in P and the shift **** was jittering back to P? I don't even know what that statement means. Transmissions naturally make clunking noises when you shift from P to N to D to R to N to R to P to D to P or whatever you did.

I'm filing this one under "nothing burger." There are a lot of those around these forums.

EDIT: Ok I think I see what youre saying. It makes a clunking noise when you go between P and R. Yeah that's normal. Is this like your first car?

Last edited by macmaster; 01-14-24 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-15-24, 05:24 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
The important question is, who were you meeting at the motel????
BWAHAHAHA!! I thought the same, saying: “Ooooh…you dirty, durrrty man. Just told all-your-business” 😂

I’ve never seen the RPMs as low as 3K on a cold start. Think that would freak me out. 😜
Old 01-15-24, 07:13 AM
LexLight
Driver

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Regarding the loud thud, that's usually caused by the electronic emergency brake that has engaged and then not used in a while. Sometimes if I wash the car and then park it, the next day there will be a loud thud where the emergency brakes sort of get stuck due to slight corrosion on the disks. It's all fine afterwards and I experience this every time I wash the car and then park it with the emergency brakes on auto. I haven't noticed anything regarding the shifter jittering though.

Try setting the emergency brake so it doesn't automatically set and see what happens as you drive off.
Now that makes sense, the EPB system is the one causing that loud sound (whirring) as per the manual. But this time the sound was way too loud, exponentially very high pitch sound. Since I got the vehicle, the EPB mode is in Automatic from what I can understand through the manual. I will now disable that "EPB Shift Interlock Function" mode and see how it works.

Originally Posted by swfla
Get the OBD2 port checked for codes.
Will try to do it, the Gauge Cluster is free of anything no warnings or such.

Originally Posted by macmaster
Well I read your post about 3 times and watched your video and don't see any issue. You put it in P and the shift **** was jittering back to P? I don't even know what that statement means. Transmissions naturally make clunking noises when you shift from P to N to D to R to N to R to P to D to P or whatever you did.

I'm filing this one under "nothing burger." There are a lot of those around these forums.

EDIT: Ok I think I see what youre saying. It makes a clunking noise when you go between P and R. Yeah that's normal. Is this like your first car?
I think you may have overlooked it, please see the Shift **** at the end of 40 secs mark, when It put it from R to P, it jitters back to P and makes a slight sound. This was never observed with the ownership of the vehicle or even when I was doing a test drive.
Old 01-15-24, 08:00 AM
Kappa500
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Just sell it man. You don't want this car anymore. It's in your words. Trust me; I know things. Seriously, I can almost feel your disappointment.

Get rid of it now before the value is less than you'd prefer.
Old 01-15-24, 08:40 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I think you may have overlooked it, please see the Shift **** at the end of 40 secs mark, when It put it from R to P, it jitters back to P and makes a slight sound. This was never observed with the ownership of the vehicle or even when I was doing a test drive.
I see it now. Yeah I wouldn't worry about this.
Old 01-15-24, 08:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Now that makes sense, the EPB system is the one causing that loud sound (whirring) as per the manual. But this time the sound was way too loud, exponentially very high pitch sound. Since I got the vehicle, the EPB mode is in Automatic from what I can understand through the manual. I will now disable that "EPB Shift Interlock Function" mode and see how it works.

Will try to do it, the Gauge Cluster is free of anything no warnings or such.

Is your complaint about a sound, the shifter moving, or both? I'm super confused. Automatic transmissions do have a parking pawl that stops the car from moving when in park. If the pawl is not aligned it will "jitter" or clunk trying to slip in.

After reading all of this I'm surprised you haven't taken it in to the dealership yet.
Old 01-15-24, 09:11 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

After reading all of this I'm surprised you haven't taken it in to the dealership yet.
Yesterday was Sunday so he couldn't. Dealership and service is open today on MLK though. I know bc this day 2 years ago I was the first one to get the CEL/exhaust fixed.
Old 01-15-24, 09:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I think I've experienced this a handful of times on my prior ISes I've owned, but I didn't pay any attention to it. I don't believe I've had it happen on the IS 500 yet. Or, maybe I have. I always assumed this was normal.

Originally Posted by DLPTony
BWAHAHAHA!! I thought the same, saying: “Ooooh…you dirty, durrrty man. Just told all-your-business” 😂

I’ve never seen the RPMs as low as 3K on a cold start. Think that would freak me out. 😜
I believe the lowest I've seen is 3,500, but I do park in a garage that, while not heated, is attached to the house and is always warmer than outside in the winter.

Last edited by arentz07; 01-15-24 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 02:08 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Where's the dude that had to drop his engine? Let's talk about the real IS500 problems.
Old 01-16-24, 01:41 PM
LexLight
Driver

Is your complaint about a sound, the shifter moving, or both? I'm super confused. Automatic transmissions do have a parking pawl that stops the car from moving when in park. If the pawl is not aligned it will "jitter" or clunk trying to slip in.

Shifter moving back to P again even if it was on P, not the sound itself. I understand going to P makes a sound due to the pawl. Since It started having this new shifter movement backwards after that extremely loud clunk.
We had winter storm, I'm going to wait out until the snow is cleared out as its all rock salt and what not on the roads want to avoid driving the IS 500 for now. Once it is all clear, Ill stop by the dealership. And before doing that I will try to engage and disengage that EPB Automatic mode.

Quick Reply: IS 500 Parking issue (Shift knob jitter back to P)