IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Did you upgrade from a IS 350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 06:58 PM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm at a crossroads. I love my 23 IS350 and at the time it was a big upgrade from what I was driving.
But I feel like I should have gone for the IS500 right out the gate.

I stopped by the only dealership within 100 miles of me that has one and the salesperson was one of the most miserable people to sit down and have a conversation with, if you could even call it that. I wanted to see how different it would be from my current car.
A lot of people give it high praise on here compared to what most reviewers have to say. So I wanted to see for myself.
Old 04-15-24, 06:41 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I went from a 2021 IS 350 to a 2022 IS 500 and never looked back...
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
CBG350 (04-15-24), DLPTony (04-16-24)
Old 04-15-24, 06:57 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG350
I'm at a crossroads. I love my 23 IS350 and at the time it was a big upgrade from what I was driving.

I stopped by the only dealership within 100 miles of me that has one and the salesperson was one of the most miserable people to sit down and have a conversation with, if you could even call it that. I wanted to see how different it would be from my current car.
A lot of people give it high praise on here compared to what most reviewers have to say. So I wanted to see for myself.
You are on a Lexus forum so we may be slightly bias, but having said that, most reviews I've seen are pretty neutral or praise certain aspects of it, no car is perfect (well some may argue a Ferrari Laferrai, or 1st gen Mclaren F1), but even then I don't like the "insect" look all these super cars have. I digress.

Anyways, I went from a '22 350, bought it back in '21 right before the LE's even hit dealers. I knew they were coming but I told myself, I don't need an expensive v8 right now (boy did I regret that decision). A few years later I just couldn't handle it anymore and like most, haven't looked back. It may be mostly the same car from what you can see but as soon as you start it up, that's when you know you have something special.
The following 4 users liked this post by prophecywhiteis500:
arentz07 (04-15-24), CBG350 (04-15-24), DLPTony (04-16-24), wthrman2 (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 06:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Sorry to hear the sales associate wasn't the best. Thankfully, you drive the car, not the dealership! Did you have a chance to actually test it or not?

If you love driving and want a car with some style, power, and a load of charm, then the IS 500 is for you. If you just want to commute in it, I would say it's probably not the best option due to the gas mileage. A lot of reviewers with either skew one way or another because this car is polarizing. On the one hand, it has outdated tech on the inside and doesn't have the best outright performance capability in the class. On the other hand, it has the highest peak horsepower number in the class, the ONLY V-8, and has the Lexus reliability promise on its side. It's also kind of soft, which can be a pro or a con depending on what you want. It rides incredibly well - it's never bouncy or harsh over any pavement, but it also can feel a little lazy on initial turn-in compared to a 3-series, for instance. Anyway, taking all that into consideration, it was absolutely the right car for me. If I am being honest with myself, most of what I do with my car is just tool around local roads, so I really appreciate the ride comfort and the boulevard-cruiser vibes that the styling and the big V-8 provide. But, up in the twisty bits, it is very fun as well. The handling may not light my hair on fire, but the engine is just super satisfying to hear and experience every single time - and let's be real, the car does handle well, with its double-wishbone front suspension and adaptive suspension. All in all, it is what I would describe as a multi-talented daily driver. I don't think it'll be anywhere near as sharp as a Blackwing to drive, but maybe that's a pro, not a con, if you're looking for a more subdued, while still very much exciting when you want it, sport sedan.

Almost forgot to mention I also upgraded. I loved my IS 350, and the 500 maintains all the things I liked about that car while being even more fun to drive!
The following 3 users liked this post by arentz07:
CBG350 (04-15-24), DLPTony (04-16-24), wthrman2 (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 09:57 AM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

I do love driving my car. I could care less about tech. I have android auto with all the apps I need for daily driving. Steering wheel controls work amazing to switch tracks and turn the volume up. I touch the screen when I need the car to read me messages and respond or select my destination in waze or google maps. That's it. I'm more than happy with what tech the car has because I have a computer at home and don't need any more distractions while driving lol.

I live in Socal so there are plenty of back mountain roads that I can go drive on and this car feels great on them. If I wanted to go ***** out I'd hop in the Blackwing and break numerous laws that would put me jail easily.

Out of 20+ cars only 5 have not had V8's under the hood.

Losing nothing in drive quality, reliability and gaining the sound of a V8 with it's driving characteristics may just be the ticket I need.

It's unfortunate that there is only black or white colors in this state. lol.
Old 04-15-24, 09:59 AM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Sorry to hear the sales associate wasn't the best. Thankfully, you drive the car, not the dealership! Did you have a chance to actually test it or not?

If you love driving and want a car with some style, power, and a load of charm, then the IS 500 is for you. If you just want to commute in it, I would say it's probably not the best option due to the gas mileage. A lot of reviewers with either skew one way or another because this car is polarizing. On the one hand, it has outdated tech on the inside and doesn't have the best outright performance capability in the class. On the other hand, it has the highest peak horsepower number in the class, the ONLY V-8, and has the Lexus reliability promise on its side. It's also kind of soft, which can be a pro or a con depending on what you want. It rides incredibly well - it's never bouncy or harsh over any pavement, but it also can feel a little lazy on initial turn-in compared to a 3-series, for instance. Anyway, taking all that into consideration, it was absolutely the right car for me. If I am being honest with myself, most of what I do with my car is just tool around local roads, so I really appreciate the ride comfort and the boulevard-cruiser vibes that the styling and the big V-8 provide. But, up in the twisty bits, it is very fun as well. The handling may not light my hair on fire, but the engine is just super satisfying to hear and experience every single time - and let's be real, the car does handle well, with its double-wishbone front suspension and adaptive suspension. All in all, it is what I would describe as a multi-talented daily driver. I don't think it'll be anywhere near as sharp as a Blackwing to drive, but maybe that's a pro, not a con, if you're looking for a more subdued, while still very much exciting when you want it, sport sedan.

Almost forgot to mention I also upgraded. I loved my IS 350, and the 500 maintains all the things I liked about that car while being even more fun to drive!
Unfortunately I did not get to test drive the car. The sales guy just wasn't having it. There is another one located at a different dealer, I'll try there and see if they're friendlier to deal with.
Old 04-15-24, 10:46 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Unfortunately I did not get to test drive the car. The sales guy just wasn't having it. There is another one located at a different dealer, I'll try there and see if they're friendlier to deal with.
Most places don't offer test drives on new performance vehicles. It's their responsibility to keep the miles low for the actual buyer. You will have a 100% better chance if you locate a used model.
Old 04-15-24, 10:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Most places don't offer test drives on new performance vehicles. It's their responsibility to keep the miles low for the actual buyer. You will have a 100% better chance if you locate a used model.
lol I test-drove mine. Maybe the dealer was in a "I know what I have!" mood... In that case, I'd just move on. I personally don't buy ANY vehicle without test-driving it first.
The following users liked this post:
CBG350 (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 11:07 AM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by macmaster
Originally Posted by arentz07
lol I test-drove mine. Maybe the dealer was in a "I know what I have!" mood... In that case, I'd just move on. I personally don't buy ANY vehicle without test-driving it first.
Seems my luck has changed. There are now two used ones available and one of them is at the dealership I went to. So I'll probably stop by there and see if I can test drive it. I'll be searching out a different sales person tho lol. **** that other guy.
DLPTony (04-16-24)
Old 04-15-24, 03:57 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Definitely test drive a used one if given the chance. I had a 21 IS350 (awd) for 2 years and honestly, had the IS500 not come out, I would have been perfectly content with it. I found the 350 to be the perfect daily driver, something I could drive year round even in harsh winter with ease. But right from the get-go, I felt the car was a bit underpowered. The IS's are heavy cars given their smallish stature. But I guess most modern sports sedans are on the heavy side these days. Substantial difference in power between the 500 and 350. But these are not sports cars . The 500 has more of a muscle car feel. But I find it handles really well. I was actually surprised by the handling.

On the fun factor - no comparison with the 350. It is a hoot to drive. Gets lots of looks. The "bulge" and the whole front end lifting up under heavy throttle LOL.. My wife has a 330i (which you can argue competes directly against the 350), but the fun factor is nowhere near the same as with the 500. I dont' drive my 500 in the winter, and it's not my daily driver the rest of the year. So, being honest, not sure I'd be as content with the 500 as a daily - even though it's more than adequate for that purpose (and marketed as such), and especially for you in California. So maybe some bias here from my perspective having it slug it out in crappy winter weather for months on end.

My advice is that you must absolutely test drive a 500 and determine if that's a switch you want to make. In my situation, I also got a really good trade-in value for my 350, which really solidified my decision to fort over the extra $ for the 500.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 04-15-24 at 04:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
CBG350 (04-15-24), wthrman2 (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 05:20 PM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Definitely test drive a used one if given the chance. I had a 21 IS350 (awd) for 2 years and honestly, had the IS500 not come out, I would have been perfectly content with it. I found the 350 to be the perfect daily driver, something I could drive year round even in harsh winter with ease. But right from the get-go, I felt the car was a bit underpowered. The IS's are heavy cars given their smallish stature. But I guess most modern sports sedans are on the heavy side these days. Substantial difference in power between the 500 and 350. But these are not sports cars . The 500 has more of a muscle car feel. But I find it handles really well. I was actually surprised by the handling.

On the fun factor - no comparison with the 350. It is a hoot to drive. Gets lots of looks. The "bulge" and the whole front end lifting up under heavy throttle LOL.. My wife has a 330i (which you can argue competes directly against the 350), but the fun factor is nowhere near the same as with the 500. I dont' drive my 500 in the winter, and it's not my daily driver the rest of the year. So, being honest, not sure I'd be as content with the 500 as a daily - even though it's more than adequate for that purpose (and marketed as such), and especially for you in California. So maybe some bias here from my perspective having it slug it out in crappy winter weather for months on end.

My advice is that you must absolutely test drive a 500 and determine if that's a switch you want to make. In my situation, I also got a really good trade-in value for my 350, which really solidified my decision to fort over the extra $ for the 500.
I actually just got home from test driving the 500. There is a certified one with 15k miles on it so I was able to give a rip. It's a completely different character when it comes to the engine sound and acceleration. The rest of it drove just like my 350. I would say the cornering is slightly better as it felt a little better in some of the sweeping highway on ramps I took the car on. The one thing that definitely stood out was the sound. After I got back in my car and started it up, I was instantly surprised at how much more quiet it is.

Like I said earlier, I already love the daily driving aspect of the car. I think I may have solidified my choice to upgrade after that test drive.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with ordering new built or seeing if the dealership can convince another dealership to ship one of the only 5 available on the east coast.
The following 2 users liked this post by CBG350:
arentz07 (04-16-24), TGPCanada (04-15-24)
Old 04-16-24, 03:57 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I am happy that you were able to test drive and confirm what we all feel about our 500, especially previous 350 owners. If you like the driving signature and comfort of your current 350, you will love the 500! It is a 350 with the additional power and growl which we all love and want. For me, the additional love came from the fact that my 350 was the AWD (that is all they sell up here in Canada) with the 6 speed tranny, so going the 500 also gave me the advantage of getting a true RWD car (which I always wanted) in addition to gain a couple of speed. Ironically, these 2 things have resulted in a negligible change in fuel consumption compared to my 350.

With respect to the new car, you can either put an order but if you know where the other cars are located and are in a combo you like, it may be worth contacting them, buying it and driving it back. I suspect most dealers will be reluctant to let their inventory go to another dealer. Some are good, being seeing the greed by most, this will be the exception that they'll be willing to let it go.

BTW - what color combo are you interested in?
Old 04-16-24, 08:23 AM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I am happy that you were able to test drive and confirm what we all feel about our 500, especially previous 350 owners. If you like the driving signature and comfort of your current 350, you will love the 500! It is a 350 with the additional power and growl which we all love and want. For me, the additional love came from the fact that my 350 was the AWD (that is all they sell up here in Canada) with the 6 speed tranny, so going the 500 also gave me the advantage of getting a true RWD car (which I always wanted) in addition to gain a couple of speed. Ironically, these 2 things have resulted in a negligible change in fuel consumption compared to my 350.

With respect to the new car, you can either put an order but if you know where the other cars are located and are in a combo you like, it may be worth contacting them, buying it and driving it back. I suspect most dealers will be reluctant to let their inventory go to another dealer. Some are good, being seeing the greed by most, this will be the exception that they'll be willing to let it go.

BTW - what color combo are you interested in?
Incognito with either red or black interior or Ultrasonic Blue with black interior. I love the Infrared color but I already have a CT5VBW in Infrared Tintcoat so I don't want to have two of the same color cars.
wthrman2 (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 09:41 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

I've heard of people having trouble getting built orders (obviously it's a dealer by dealer basis) and always recommend to get one allocated to the dealer or find one near you and just drive it back. I know a lot of people on here have driven hundreds of miles to get their 500. When I was looking for mine they were happy to search stock from all the dealers nearby and try to allocate one as I also ended up driving an hour away to get mine.

I'm not sure why dealers sometimes don't take custom orders but I've heard from people that dealers have too much inventory and need to sell their current full inventory so they won't custom orders and custom orders can take well over 6 months with no guarantee that your car will make it to that specific dealer so they won't take the order.
Old 04-16-24, 09:58 AM
CBG350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by prophecywhiteis500
I've heard of people having trouble getting built orders (obviously it's a dealer by dealer basis) and always recommend to get one allocated to the dealer or find one near you and just drive it back. I know a lot of people on here have driven hundreds of miles to get their 500. When I was looking for mine they were happy to search stock from all the dealers nearby and try to allocate one as I also ended up driving an hour away to get mine.

I'm not sure why dealers sometimes don't take custom orders but I've heard from people that dealers have too much inventory and need to sell their current full inventory so they won't custom orders and custom orders can take well over 6 months with no guarantee that your car will make it to that specific dealer so they won't take the order.
Yeah the 3 dealers I went to all had different timelines.

Thankfully all IS500's are built the same, the only option available is the 19" matte wheels. Everything else is just PIO accessories. I told each sales person I didn't need any of the extra PIO items because it's just extra stuff I never use and don't have a need for. All 3 sales guys told me "If it comes with trunk mats or things like that, consider them yours for free we'll just throw those in."

I did get a build sheet for only ONE allocation that will be available at the end of this month that matches the color combo I want. I guess I just need to really sit down and decide if I want to do it.
DLPTony (04-16-24)

Quick Reply: Did you upgrade from a IS 350 ?