IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Did you upgrade from a IS 350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 11:29 AM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Did you upgrade from a IS 350 ?

I am looking to update my DD soon ('14 IS 350 F-sport). One option is to get an IS500 now, before the V8 is gone. The other is to simply wait a little for an IS refresh and finally see an update. It is somewhat comical to see that the interior for example is basically the same today as in my 10 yo car!

Curious to hear honest testimonials from those than went from an IS 350 F-Sport to the IS 500 (and I mean those that owned the cars, not just test-drove). Was the upgrade worth it in terms of driving experience? Or was it kind of incremental?
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (01-21-24)
Old 01-21-24, 11:48 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by calicoaster
I am looking to update my DD soon ('14 IS 350 F-sport). One option is to get an IS500 now, before the V8 is gone. The other is to simply wait a little for an IS refresh and finally see an update. It is somewhat comical to see that the interior for example is basically the same today as in my 10 yo car!

Curious to hear honest testimonials from those than went from an IS 350 F-Sport to the IS 500 (and I mean those that owned the cars, not just test-drove). Was the upgrade worth it in terms of driving experience? Or was it kind of incremental?
I'm not coming from a 350, but i cant imagine the driving experience from a 350 to a 500 is going to be nominal. That v8 is something special. Get it before it's gone forever.

If you can swing the added cost of a 500, to me it's a no brainer. Personally, I wouldnt even consider getting an IS if wasn't for the IS500.
calicoaster (01-21-24)
Old 01-21-24, 01:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I did! In fact, I've got a sort of journal thread happening over in Car Chat, and here's a link to the very post where I wrote about my then-new 2021 IS 350 F Sport: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11065433

Also, I've owned a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport. So, I've had three different 3IS models now. Though I did not specifically own a 2014-2016 IS 350, I think my IS 300 is similar enough to talk about. Also, I have owned an IS 350 RWD in addition to that car, and I've driven a 2015 IS 350 F Sport RWD.

One thing I would stress about the 2021+ is that the interior updates that Lexus has made are quite nice in spite of the overall layout being the same. For one thing, they fixed the cupholder situation.

Here's my 2016:

And here's my 2023 IS 500 (not the best photo, but you can see that the cupholders have been moved up, and they now have a new layout that makes them easier to clean.

Also, we've now got round air vents on the sides of the dashboard, and the clock and general dashboard design have gotten makeovers. What's really important is the screen. It's a touchscreen, and even the base-level screen size is larger than before. In addition, the gauge cluster graphics have been updated, which doesn't really matter but is a nice touch. They more closely resemble the graphics from the LC 500 now.

As far as the driving experience, I'd say yes, it's worth the upgrade. While the cars do feel very similar on initial impressions, Lexus really improved the ride quality and handling on the 2021+ cars. I'd go so far as to say my IS 500 rides much better than my 2016 IS 300 AWD did, and in fact, it rides slightly better than my 2021 IS 350 (without AVS). Perhaps the one downside of the newfound composure of the IS is the steering feel - I don't think there's much feedback coming from the front wheels. I think no IS has great feel, but unless I remember it incorrectly, I think the 2016 had more feel. However, the 2021+ are better cars overall due to the improved ride, arguably improved styling, and additions like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

As for the V-6 versus the V-8... Yes, yes, yes! It is definitely a game-changer. Now, swapping in this engine and transmission is not going to turn the IS into a sports car, but it is going to make it a fast IS. So, just keep that in mind. In terms of suspension, the IS 500 is still tuned almost exactly like the IS 350. But, when you find an empty on-ramp, I promise you you are going to want to put the hammer down in an IS 500. It is just a fun car to beat on because the engine is just so happy to take the abuse and reward you with amazing sound and satisfying amounts of power. So, if that doesn't sound worth it to you, don't do it. This is not an IS F, but it does at least get the same engine. And, depending on who you ask - namely, Lexus themselves - you can still count yourself an honorary "F" car owner.
The following 5 users liked this post by arentz07:
604GSE21 (01-21-24), Bechtold (01-21-24), calicoaster (01-21-24), ICEforever (01-21-24), TGPCanada (01-22-24)
Old 01-21-24, 05:05 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Thanks for the comparo. I was kind of expecting that it is like an IS350 but with the V8 - which is totally a great thing. I do like the simplicity (maybe more like purity) of the NA V8. Haven't had one since a Mustang GT back in the day (which was actually a horrible car). I agree the interior looks upgraded. I do like the circular vents for sure. For my daily I don't mind something that is not super high performance. I already have a G80 M3 for that purpose, but it would be nice to have something with a bit more oomph than my 350 which seems really slow after any time I spend in the M3 (as might be expected). Then the question is can I find an IS 500 and not get gouged here in SoCal. Sounds like something to seriously consider. Would be nice to get a glimpse of what is in store for the update IS before these IS 500's go extinct.
Old 01-21-24, 05:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I'll give you some extremely targeted advice. Personally for you I think the IS500 would be unnecessary since you already have a 2024 M3 and a 2014 IS 350, unless you have a ton of spare money to burn, and it sounds like you might. You live in San Diego, eh? If you own a home in La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Carmel Valley, or Del Mar already and you have the cash for it, yes I would say get the IS500. You're already set. If you don't live in any of those areas I just mentioned I would save your money and buy into those areas instead of collecting depreciating assets.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
calicoaster (01-21-24), ICEforever (01-22-24)
Old 01-21-24, 05:22 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
I'll give you some extremely targeted advice. Personally for you I think the IS500 would be unnecessary since you already have a 2024 M3 and a 2014 IS 350, unless you have a ton of spare money to burn, and it sounds like you might. You live in San Diego, eh? If you own a home in La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Carmel Valley, or Del Mar already and you have the cash for it, yes I would say get the IS500. You're already set. If you don't live in any of those areas I just mentioned I would save your money and buy into those areas instead of collecting depreciating assets.
Lol! I do own a home in one of those! But never one to burn through money, unless you're talking about property taxes, then yes, its a burn. But in all seriousness, I think the rules of sanity apply regardless of the financials. I do tend to keep cars for a while BTW, and my IS is already 10 years old so its getting time. I love the car and that is the only reason I would even consider getting something that is similar. Just a bit worried that it may be too incremental in which case waiting for a next-gen IS could be a better option. BTW, If you also live in this general area, you'll know the level of cars here. It is quite crazy. I'm one of the more rational ones to my defense!
Old 01-21-24, 05:40 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Lol! I do own a home in one of those! But never one to burn through money, unless you're talking about property taxes, then yes, its a burn. But in all seriousness, I think the rules of sanity apply regardless of the financials. I do tend to keep cars for a while BTW, and my IS is already 10 years old so its getting time. I love the car and that is the only reason I would even consider getting something that is similar. Just a bit worried that it may be too incremental in which case waiting for a next-gen IS could be a better option. BTW, If you also live in this general area, you'll know the level of cars here. It is quite crazy. I'm one of the more rational ones to my defense!
Yep I know. Every other car on the road is a Porsche. Around those parts, BMW, Audi, and Lexus is the basic brand for most people, and Tesla is the economy car. Exotics don't even turn my head anymore.

Knowing this, I think the IS500 would be a good upgrade for you. Keeping the 2014 IS 350 for 10 years is a testament to you. I think you're fine to get it, financially and mentally. I don't say that to everyone. It would be a good daily like you mentioned compared to the M3, and you can take it down to Chula or downtown for a date night without too much worry.
Old 01-21-24, 05:55 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Originally Posted by macmaster
Yep I know. Every other car on the road is a Porsche. Around those parts, BMW, Audi, and Lexus is the basic brand for most people, and Tesla is the economy car. Exotics don't even turn my head anymore.

Knowing this, I think the IS500 would be a good upgrade for you. Keeping the 2014 IS 350 for 10 years is a testament to you. I think you're fine to get it, financially and mentally. I don't say that to everyone. It would be a good daily like you mentioned compared to the M3, and you can take it down to Chula or downtown for a date night without too much worry.
I need to Lol again because of that last thing you said. We also have a 2008 Highlander (purchased new, so now over 15 years old). This is back when they were still Japanese built, so basically unbreakable. We're going to finally replace it with the GX 5500 (when it finally comes out for goodness sake), but the thing I will miss most about that Highlander is you can take it out of North County with impunity. We've let our cars age because they've been super reliable, covid and life/work gets busy.

If I was more rational, I'd get an EV to replace the IS. We have solar and all that, but I just haven't found an EV I like yet.
macmaster (01-21-24)
Old 01-21-24, 08:00 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I need to Lol again because of that last thing you said. We also have a 2008 Highlander (purchased new, so now over 15 years old). This is back when they were still Japanese built, so basically unbreakable. We're going to finally replace it with the GX 5500 (when it finally comes out for goodness sake), but the thing I will miss most about that Highlander is you can take it out of North County with impunity. We've let our cars age because they've been super reliable, covid and life/work gets busy.

If I was more rational, I'd get an EV to replace the IS. We have solar and all that, but I just haven't found an EV I like yet.
Gotcha. I didn't mean to take the conversation in the financial direction like I did but truthfully that's really what it boils down to with so many of these "should I get it" questions. You're extremely fortunate. You live in the greatest city in the US, and in one of its best neighborhoods at that. You hold on to cars for a long time. Yeah get the car. Even Dave Ramsey would agree with me. You're already familiar with the brand and car. It's going to be very familiar. It'll just have a little more character and thrill when you stomp on it. I rec test driving it at a dealership to make your final decision.

Old 01-22-24, 11:08 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Came from a 21 IS350 AWD that I bought new and put 35K km on it when I traded it in. Not applicable to you being in California, but for me the 350 felt a bit like a more manageable, day-to-day car all year round. I didn't even bother changing the all-season OEM tires and car handled great in the worst of winter weather possible. Of course, the 500 is also an easy daily (when equipped with winter tires despite RWD setup). The 350 felt like a run of the mill sports sedan, comparable to other sports sedans in its class (3-series, Audi's, etc.), whereas the 500 for me feels more muscle car like, if that makes sense. Again, both very easy to live with cars as daily's. The IS500 is no sports car by any means. And of course, the 500 is simply alot more fun, and the MPG drop was peanuts (am getting 19 mpg on the 500 vs 21 mpg on the 350).

If it were me, Id keep your current setup, wait a couple of years to see where the next generation IS ends up at and make a decision then. Unless you're just so gun-ho on getting a V8 before its gone.

Last edited by TGPCanada; 01-22-24 at 11:20 AM.
calicoaster (01-23-24)
Old 01-22-24, 02:48 PM
phoenix888
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

I came from a 2014 IS350 F Sport RWD and the IS500 is exactly what the 350 was missing from the Power/Performance standpoint. The Interiors are nearly identical (You get a Big Touchscreen and Trackpad vs the dongle in the 2014) so from that point it's a bit disappointing. But 10 years later, my 2014 (My Beater now lol) everything still works, so I know the IS500 will have the same Longevity.

You already have the "High Performance Car" in that nice M3, but if you're planning on just having something to keep and a bit of Old School, this V8 give you smiles only an Old School High Revving V8 Can. Don't get me wrong, the M3 will outperform this on the Track in every way (and I think you already know that), so if your M3 is a Turn and Burn and you're not going to keep it long term, and want a Long Term Performance Car, GET THE IS500, it's everything all the Power I wish the 350 had, and it not "Incremental" it's a big difference. Just my .$.02
calicoaster (01-23-24)
Old 01-22-24, 05:53 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Came from a RC350, which I supercharged myself. So I’ve experienced it all.
Old 01-23-24, 10:54 AM
calicoaster
Driver

Originally Posted by phoenix888
I came from a 2014 IS350 F Sport RWD and the IS500 is exactly what the 350 was missing from the Power/Performance standpoint. The Interiors are nearly identical (You get a Big Touchscreen and Trackpad vs the dongle in the 2014) so from that point it's a bit disappointing. But 10 years later, my 2014 (My Beater now lol) everything still works, so I know the IS500 will have the same Longevity.

You already have the "High Performance Car" in that nice M3, but if you're planning on just having something to keep and a bit of Old School, this V8 give you smiles only an Old School High Revving V8 Can. Don't get me wrong, the M3 will outperform this on the Track in every way (and I think you already know that), so if your M3 is a Turn and Burn and you're not going to keep it long term, and want a Long Term Performance Car, GET THE IS500, it's everything all the Power I wish the 350 had, and it not "Incremental" it's a big difference. Just my .$.02
Appreciate the balanced feedback. This is actually not an easy decision at all yet all the feedback here has really helped. I am kind of now swaying to just holding onto the IS 350 for now. It is basically like-new still (only 68K miles) - with just a little wear showing on the Nulux seats. The IS 500 V8 appeals to me and for the exact reason that has been stated that it is more like a "muscle car". I am under no illusion that it would match the M3 as a much more fierce sports sedan. In fact I am not that crazy to have two cars that would perform the same function - that truly is wasteful and unnecessary (by my own subjective views).

As far as my plans for the M3. I own this car and plan to keep it for hopefully a long time. I take great care of my vehicles and so far the S58 engine is looking like it may be rock solid which would further lend this vehicle to be a keeper. Also, the G80 is likely the last pure ICE M3.

Appreciate everyone's responses. I am most likely going to hold out for the IS refresh at this time and keep the IS 350 chugging along for now. I think you IS 500 guys really have something special and I reckon these will become collector cars, so hold onto 'em!
phoenix888 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 11:43 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

I went from a rear-wheel 2008 IS 350 to a 2022 IS 500 F Sport Performance Premium. The driving experience (acceleration, handling, and ride quality) is significantly improved, with (slightly) more room in the rear passenger seats to boot. I most certainly prefer the IS 500's eight-speed transmission (once it is warmed up), suspension, and brakes over the IS 350's six-speed drivetrain. The interior also changed significantly from the 2008 IS 350 model (see photos) and 14 years of technological enhancements (though a bit outdated by 2024 standards) was also a marked improvement. I can honestly say I am extremely satisfied with the purchase.

Last edited by cajun; 01-23-24 at 12:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cajun:
arentz07 (01-23-24), Bechtold (01-23-24), calicoaster (01-23-24), wthrman2 (02-21-24)
Old 01-23-24, 05:36 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,185 Likes on 350 Posts

Last summer I had a loaner car for a week from the Lexus dealer until my new tires arrived. 2023 IS350 F Sport AWD. Took it on a trip & for what it is a good dd plus awd.. But get the IS500 the V8 is smooth as silk!

The following 2 users liked this post by Moonman89:
calicoaster (01-23-24), wthrman2 (02-21-24)

Quick Reply: Did you upgrade from a IS 350 ?