IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Installed power folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 03:26 PM
TP529
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@OCJACKAL Awesome work on the mod, wish I had the confidence to try something like that out.
A bit of a tangent but do you know if the silver chrome trim on the JDM mirrors are the same as the ones on the US mirror? I've been waiting to see if the black chrome from the 24MY will be sold at dealers and stumbled on the Lems version (not sure if I can post the link), but they weren't able to confirm that it would fit a LHD car.
Old 05-15-24, 03:27 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Japan spec OEM switch will be RHD though.
Yes but the switch itself can be taken out of the trim piece, and I imagine it’ll clip into the LHD version.
Old 05-15-24, 06:37 PM
MoltenDebt
Pit Crew

Received 181 Likes on 52 Posts

This thread is amazing.
Old 05-15-24, 07:08 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 163 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Yes but the switch itself can be taken out of the trim piece, and I imagine it’ll clip into the LHD version.
Im not so sure.. I bought a switch from "fromjapan" website, straight from Japan, and when I installed it and hit the driver side window switch the passenger window rolled down.. I bought one because the one I purchased on I think on Alibaba or some similar site was a little scratched up.. Just my experience.

It does however fit and screw into place, just didnt work for the correct window selection

Last edited by OCJACKAL; 05-15-24 at 07:24 PM. Reason: :-)
Old 05-16-24, 08:31 AM
chi3fy
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank for sharing. This is great info. My ES350F had this and when i got the 500 i was disappointed all this money and you cant add a simple feature lol
Old 05-19-24, 11:11 PM
NorcalSV
6th Gear

@OCJACKAL Thank you for being the pioneer for doing this in the IS500. I am currently in Taiwan and have the ability to buy OEM parts to make this happen for mine IS 500 in the US. I am trying to figure out if I need to buy the whole mirror or can I just buy the internal actuator, mirror. I also want to make sure the plugs would fit the receptors. Do you have any pictures of the internals of the door after you took off the panel? It would also be helpful if you had pictures showing how many pins the two receptors have. When I went to the dealer here in Taiwan, they pulled up the diagram for the side mirrors. What components from the diagram do you think I will need? Parts are expensive here so if I buy both mirror assemblies, it will cost almost $2000 dollars. They also said the bottom part of the shell comes unpainted so I would have to get it painted. Thank you for your help. Hopefully I can pull this off.

Old 05-20-24, 05:57 AM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

This was the only pic I could find of the connectors, but I dont have much time in the morning.. when i get back from work today I will look some more.. I am pretty sure you can just buy the internals.. I know someone posted that basically saying doing it the way I did was unnecessary and costly... He may be right and thats fine, Im just glad my way worked out for me. I will look for pics of the door internals. But I dont believe I took any...
The following users liked this post:
TCM55 (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 08:33 AM
NorcalSV
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OCJACKAL

This was the only pic I could find of the connectors, but I dont have much time in the morning.. when i get back from work today I will look some more.. I am pretty sure you can just buy the internals.. I know someone posted that basically saying doing it the way I did was unnecessary and costly... He may be right and thats fine, Im just glad my way worked out for me. I will look for pics of the door internals. But I dont believe I took any...
The pic is helpful! I’m curious inside the door was there a black square CPU that one of the plugs clicked into? I think that should be there given the 500 has memory settings.
Old 05-20-24, 05:50 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Yes there was a black square or module inside the door panel. Pretty sure 2 things plugged into it
Old 05-20-24, 06:05 PM
NorcalSV
6th Gear

Great. If you do have a pic of the door with the panel removed please let me know. Looking at the diagram I sent above, what pieces (by number) do you think I will need? I wonder what the device at the very top of the diagram is for? Looks like it’s supposed to connect to the actuator.
Old 05-20-24, 09:18 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Damn this stinks.

I want it to work just like OEM does. With auto button illuminated, You lock, it folds, you unlock, it unfolds.

with it un-illuminated, they stay out

And when you press manual fold button, they fold in or out.
Old 05-20-24, 09:33 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Damn this stinks.

I want it to work just like OEM does. With auto button illuminated, You lock, it folds, you unlock, it unfolds.

with it un-illuminated, they stay out

And when you press manual fold button, they fold in or out.
yeah man me too.. Im going to Japan next year. maybe I can find out if the module in the door panel is what allows the auto fold/unfold to happen..
Old 06-06-24, 03:25 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 783 Likes on 486 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by OCJACKAL
yeah man me too.. Im going to Japan next year. maybe I can find out if the module in the door panel is what allows the auto fold/unfold to happen..

I added power folding mirrors to my 2020 RCF and because the car never had power folding mirrors in the states the AUTO feature doesn't work. I'm fairly certain it has to be flashed on one of the control modules in the car. When I look at tech stream I can see the lock/unlock feature but it's completely grayed out. When I cross referenced the door modules at least for the RCF which had all the options I have, they were the same. So that's telling me that it needs to be flashed. Problem is finding any Lexus place to do so as I don't think that's a thing a tech could just flash and be done.

Good job on doing the retro fitting. I went a slightly different route and got LHD mirrors from Norway which enabled everything to bolt up with zero issues. As a plus my mirrors were both convex glass which was awesome. The problem with the JDM/RHD market mirrors is like what you stated the folding action is different. We ran into this in the subie world when people would add power folding mirrors and notice that the passenger side would fold in way more than the driver side and it would be slightly off via the angle of it being mounted.

Lexus is so silly for how they don't include options on US based cars. It really is mind numbing how they deem what should go where. That's one thing that I can't stand about Lexus. You can buy a toyota for half the cost and get power folding mirrors but spend $80k on a Lexus and no folding mirrors....smh.

-Nigel
LexLight (06-06-24)
Old 06-06-24, 03:42 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by nigel821
I added power folding mirrors to my 2020 RCF and because the car never had power folding mirrors in the states the AUTO feature doesn't work. I'm fairly certain it has to be flashed on one of the control modules in the car. When I look at tech stream I can see the lock/unlock feature but it's completely grayed out. When I cross referenced the door modules at least for the RCF which had all the options I have, they were the same. So that's telling me that it needs to be flashed. Problem is finding any Lexus place to do so as I don't think that's a thing a tech could just flash and be done.

Good job on doing the retro fitting. I went a slightly different route and got LHD mirrors from Norway which enabled everything to bolt up with zero issues. As a plus my mirrors were both convex glass which was awesome. The problem with the JDM/RHD market mirrors is like what you stated the folding action is different. We ran into this in the subie world when people would add power folding mirrors and notice that the passenger side would fold in way more than the driver side and it would be slightly off via the angle of it being mounted.

Lexus is so silly for how they don't include options on US based cars. It really is mind numbing how they deem what should go where. That's one thing that I can't stand about Lexus. You can buy a toyota for half the cost and get power folding mirrors but spend $80k on a Lexus and no folding mirrors....smh.

-Nigel
I can ask our shop foreman at Lexus, but I think he’ll agree that it’s out of their control to flash. GTS only gives us so much.
nigel821 (06-07-24)
Old 06-06-24, 09:11 PM
NorcalSV
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nigel821

-Nigel
Thanks of the insight on Norway. Did you find the parts online to ship from Norway? Was it very expensive? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Installed power folding mirrors