IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Others having paint issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 12:26 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Others having paint issues?

Noticing a couple spots where the paint’s clear coat appears to already be giving way, particularly on the hood in two spots close to each other (circled in yellow on photos below).

Anyone else having these issues? Car is garage parked and has never had bird droppings or the like on it, and at worst only sees touchless car washes. Oddest part is these are areas nobody would ever touch but it looks and feels like somebody else put their thumbs on the clear coat before it dried.

Old 02-10-24, 12:41 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,105 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Yikes!!

No mine looks fine. Have you clayed the car before? Or used a different type of abrasive?
Old 02-10-24, 01:10 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Yikes!!

No mine looks fine. Have you clayed the car before? Or used a different type of abrasive?
Nah, honestly haven’t done anything at all to it myself. Just the occasional touchless car wash to keep it looking clean. Today was the first time I even touched those areas, at first thinking it was just some smudge or dirt that needed to be wiped off.

Having a similar issue on the fuel door, which I’ve very much touched but is same kind of clear coat failing look. Definitely need to do a complete inspection of the car now.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 01:32 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,701 Likes on 1,787 Posts

I can honestly say that mine has no such issue. You gotta wonder if this is a situation where it may have been damaged at the assembly plant or while in transit and some repairs were done before reaching the dealership. These things happen and customers wouldnt even know...
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 02:55 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,105 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Having a similar issue on the fuel door, which I’ve very much touched but is same kind of clear coat failing look. Definitely need to do a complete inspection of the car now.
Right on, with a fine toothed comb.

Originally Posted by wthrman2
These things happen and customers wouldnt even know...
True that.
Old 02-10-24, 03:39 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I can honestly say that mine has no such issue. You gotta wonder if this is a situation where it may have been damaged at the assembly plant or while in transit and some repairs were done before reaching the dealership. These things happen and customers wouldnt even know...
I was actually thinking the same thing. It almost seems like the paint was redone in those areas (and poorly) as it looks like it's under the clear coat? I remember seeing a repainted black Lexus and it had artifacts in the paint that was very similar.
Old 02-10-24, 04:03 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

My roof paint is already chipping but they PPF’d over it
Old 02-10-24, 08:29 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 994 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
It's Batman. I don't think some Joker put it there.
Old 02-11-24, 10:10 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

My paint is perfect, but I do get some staining on all the gloss black plastic in front, the lower side sills, and the rear diffuser after driving in the rain. I think it's from an area where new asphalt is being laid and when it rains there may be some chemicals floating on the road. It's not doing anything to the paint and luckily a little wax cleans it off. Have you tried waxing your paint area?
Old 02-12-24, 08:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,951 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I have a couple of chips on my driver's side doors - one on the front and one on the rear. I honestly think the rear door is due to the fact that I had it repainted at a body shop and not of the same quality as the original paint. The front door, not sure. I've not gotten up the courage to go through with touch-up paint yet. I am afraid of making it look worse.
Old 02-12-24, 08:48 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Do lots of manufacturers only put the metallic fleck in the clearcoat and not in the paint it self?. It makes touching up the lexus much harder to do, I find. When you add the clear coat there there is to much sparkle. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with this?. I ended up just touching up with paint and then a standard clear coat and it looked better.
Old 02-12-24, 08:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Do lots of manufacturers only put the metallic fleck in the clearcoat and not in the paint it self?. It makes touching up the lexus much harder to do, I find. When you add the clear coat there there is to much sparkle. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with this?. I ended up just touching up with paint and then a standard clear coat and it looked better.
Does your touch up paint not have multiple color coats? Mine has two along with a clear coat.
Old 02-12-24, 09:02 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I am Ultra White. I think it is just a base white and a fleck clear coat. I much prefer all my other cars paint with a fleck base coat and a clear, clear cote. Yours must be a nightmare!.
Old 02-12-24, 09:05 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 398 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I have a couple of chips on my driver's side doors - one on the front and one on the rear. I honestly think the rear door is due to the fact that I had it repainted at a body shop and not of the same quality as the original paint. The front door, not sure. I've not gotten up the courage to go through with touch-up paint yet. I am afraid of making it look worse.
Here I go with my Sharpie again ... knowing most touch-ups look horrible, I used the ol trusty black Sharpie on my small chips. I just blotted the chip with the Sharpie, then waxed off the excess black Sparpie around the chip and that's it. I swear I can't find the two or three ships on my bumper anymore. It probably works well with all the paint colors except white. There's no harm done if you don't like the results, but it does an excellent job of hiding and sealing the chip as long as they're small.
Old 02-12-24, 09:07 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Here I go with my Sharpie again ... knowing most touch-ups look horrible, I used the ol trusty black Sharpie on my small chips. I just blotted the chip with the Sharpie, then waxed off the excess black Sparpie around the chip and that's it. I swear I can't find the two or three ships on my bumper anymore. It probably works well with all the paint colors except white. There's no harm done if you don't like the results, but it does an excellent job of hiding and sealing the chip as long as they're small.
Well, I need to find a red Sharpie, lol

And yeah, Infrared is one of those three-stage paints - base, mid, then clear coat. So it'll probably be noticeable. The issue I am having is that one of the chips is deep enough that the paint doesn't want to adhere to it nicely. I may have to just layer the primer a few times to fill in the hole... <sigh>.

Quick Reply: Others having paint issues?