IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Chips on the hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 04:08 PM
CoolCPO2002
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips on the hood

Good evening everyone! I have a 2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance Premium in the Cloudburst Gray color. I do have the 3M protective film on it but it's just not enough protection to prevent chips from rocks/gravel kicked by dump trucks or semis. Any recommendations as to what I can do? Thought about a bra but not sure about them. Do they provide enough coverage? Do they cause rust on the hood? Do you have to remove them when you wash your car? That could be a real pain. But I'm open to suggestions so any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-19-24, 04:50 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

I have PPF (paint protection film) on my bumper and thinking about getting it on the hood as so far it has protected my bumper pretty well (the bumper on my previous IS was a starfield of micro rock chips from the highways). If they are tiny micro chips PPF will help but anything larger than a pebble may damage through the PPF slightly. PPF is semi-permanent and only removed when you want it off or replaced due to the PPF sustaining visible damage you want a fresh cover. Just make sure you go to a reputable installer with a good brand (like XPEL).

Another train of thought to ponder; chips are bound to happen when you drive your car, especially on busy highways or high speeds. Unless it's a garage queen or show car that never gets driven, expect chips. Some say it builds character. A little story; I had a neighbor that had a 2014 Mustang GT premium, modded out like crazy, dude washed and waxed that car almost every weekend and was always installing something new. Whenever I would go look at it, his black paint was LITERRED with large chips all over and totally killed the car (to me anyways). The front hood had paint peeling away (this is a common problem on Mustangs back then). He didn't care, that's how a car is supposed to look when you drive it for real he would say, and builds character.

Whenever I see chips I try to think like that but it is definitely easier said than done.
The following users liked this post:
PM22 (02-26-24)
Old 02-19-24, 07:30 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

If the 3M is not cutting it, you should look into another brand. I have seen cars with XPEL that look good. I have used XPEL matte in the past. Right now I have PremiumShield PPF and still get nicks in it. Only one significant paint chip through it, but it was a large rock; the ppf took the brunt and minimized damage. The matte XPEL did not give up any significant chips (I had it on a car for about 75,000 miles), but it was much thicker.

If you are going to drive it, you just have to accept some wear and tear over the life of the car. I am at 48k, and the ppf has done a great job reducing the damage significantly. Let's put it this way, the highways I drive get crap kicked up at you all the time (I-35 in Texas). I am on windshield number 3. Yet there are only a few minor paint chips. And the ones that bother me the most are on the rear doors. Part of the price you pay for the beautiful curves.

This is the car at 40,000 miles (Atomic Silver). I have PPF on the hood, bumper, front quarters, and front pillars.

Last edited by GoHorns; 02-19-24 at 07:37 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GoHorns:
giS (02-20-24), MYIS500 (02-19-24), Oloung1 (05-16-24), Vindahawk4 (02-24-24)
Old 02-29-24, 08:35 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 66 Posts

The PPF you have, is it XPEL? Fusion or Ultimate Plus version?
Old 02-29-24, 10:24 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHorns
If the 3M is not cutting it, you should look into another brand. I have seen cars with XPEL that look good. I have used XPEL matte in the past. Right now I have PremiumShield PPF and still get nicks in it. Only one significant paint chip through it, but it was a large rock; the ppf took the brunt and minimized damage. The matte XPEL did not give up any significant chips (I had it on a car for about 75,000 miles), but it was much thicker.

If you are going to drive it, you just have to accept some wear and tear over the life of the car. I am at 48k, and the ppf has done a great job reducing the damage significantly. Let's put it this way, the highways I drive get crap kicked up at you all the time (I-35 in Texas). I am on windshield number 3. Yet there are only a few minor paint chips. And the ones that bother me the most are on the rear doors. Part of the price you pay for the beautiful curves.

This is the car at 40,000 miles (Atomic Silver). I have PPF on the hood, bumper, front quarters, and front pillars.

Going to second XPel PPF. That **** is legit.
Old 03-03-24, 07:05 AM
PSGT4
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

XPEL all the way - it wraps around the edges to protect against the dings 👍🏻

Old 03-03-24, 08:25 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by PSGT4
XPEL all the way - it wraps around the edges to protect against the dings 👍🏻
I dont think that's necessarily a ppf thing so much as it's an installer thing.
Oloung1 (05-16-24)
Old 03-03-24, 08:52 AM
PSGT4
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
I dont think that's necessarily a ppf thing so much as it's an installer thing.
Not sure what you mean? Typical PPF just goes to the edge of the panel. …XPEL is cut to allow wrapping over the edges/corner. The material is just better at taking rocks vs the typical 3m type clear bras.

IS500 - typical clear bra application

Stops at edge of hood

Porsche - XPEL

No edge to material

Wraps fully under edge
Oloung1 (05-16-24)
Old 03-03-24, 09:13 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Not sure what you mean? Typical PPF just goes to the edge of the panel. …XPEL is cut to allow wrapping over the edges/corner. The material is just better at taking rocks vs the typical 3m type clear bras.

Stops at edge of hood

Porsche - XPEL

No edge to material

Wraps fully under edge
I guess what I mean is any good installer can modify the file so the template is sized larger than the panel so it can be wrapped around the edges. This was done on a buddy's car by my installer.

But I do agree, xpel is quality stuff.
Old 03-03-24, 10:05 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 375 Likes on 165 Posts

Stops at edge of hood

Porsche - XPEL

No edge to material

Wraps fully under edge
Wow, those edges on the top picture look horrible! That installation is just asking for that PPF to start pealing. No way I would have PPF installed like that, I'd rather deal with the chips.
Oloung1 (05-16-24)
Old 03-03-24, 10:46 AM
PSGT4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
Wow, those edges on the top picture look horrible! That installation is just asking for that PPF to start pealing. No way I would have PPF installed like that, I'd rather deal with the chips.
ya I 100% agree. Mine was CPO, nothing I directly paid for - came that way from the Lexus dealer but the redo will be XPel. It’s a low use vehicle so 3-4k per year keeps its exposure low.

Old 03-03-24, 11:22 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Most installations with XPEL will be computer cut to fit on the outside of your exact panel. Wrapping over like that is definitely custom and requires much more effort to install and get it to look seamless.

If you wash it right (i.e. don't power wash 1' away pointed directly at the edges) it shouldn't lift. The XPEL on my bumper isn't wrapped but the cuts are so perfect and some areas go slightly over the lip. But for bumpers it's impossible to wrap over lips unless you remove the bumper and the trim.

Old 03-04-24, 10:11 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 298 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with that installation. There is a rubber seal there that would prevent you from being able to wrap around unless the seal was removed. My rear doors on my GS have this problem and the rubber seal is glued on. It could theoretically be removed and re-applied but that is $$. Exposed PPF edges will not peel if they are heat sealed properly, there are lots of places that edges cannot be wrapped for various reasons. A good high quality installer will wrap where possible but a cheaper installer probably won't. There's nothing wrong with either its just a personal decision on cost vs aesthetics..