IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Jerky low speed downshifts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 09:09 AM
303Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

From all of the discussions on the transmission, I was expecting some abrupt shifts especially downshifts. Overall I am very happy with the transmission in my first 250 miles, but that 5 to 3 downshift got my attention the first few times. Only other shift I ever remotely notice is an occasional downshift into 5th when braking, but very minute. The 5 to 3 downshift has smoothed and I have adjusted to it but still catches me occasionally. Definitely less noticeable once warm as others have said.

wfibear - by shift flare I assume you mean an increase in RPM's between upshifts? Thankfully haven't had too much cold weather but I have not noticed any of this.
Old 02-26-24, 09:29 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

It is strange because I don't feel it when braking. There was maybe 1 time? I felt a little clunky shift when stopping while braking. Usually it happens randomly when coasting to stop with foot off gas and off brake. It doesn't feel like it happens every rolling stop, which is strange. Maybe just a perfect combination of speed, rpm, and gear selection? I suppose I can run my gear display up next time and see if it's a specific gear downshift that's doing it for me. Of course now that I'm watching for it it'll probably never happen.
Old 02-26-24, 09:31 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 303Lexus
wfibear - by shift flare I assume you mean an increase in RPM's between upshifts? Thankfully haven't had too much cold weather but I have not noticed any of this.
Yep exactly that. Doesn't even feel like slipping to me, which is what most people would assume, just feels like the transmission is slower than normal to shift gears when cold and the rest of the drivetrain isn't aware; transmission goes to upshift, RPMs go up a bit like the car is in neutral, next gear finally engages and it shoots right back down immediately. Only happens once or twice when it's pretty cold outside until the transmission warms up a bit (usually in 2nd or 3rd), and I never noticed it during the summer at all.
Old 02-26-24, 10:25 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
Yep exactly that. Doesn't even feel like slipping to me, which is what most people would assume, just feels like the transmission is slower than normal to shift gears when cold and the rest of the drivetrain isn't aware; transmission goes to upshift, RPMs go up a bit like the car is in neutral, next gear finally engages and it shoots right back down immediately. Only happens once or twice when it's pretty cold outside until the transmission warms up a bit (usually in 2nd or 3rd), and I never noticed it during the summer at all.
Yeah mine does that too. Just when the car is cold and it's cold outside. It goes away as the car warms.
Old 02-26-24, 10:35 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
Do you ever have an audible clunk accompanying this? Mine will sometimes clunk which can be felt and heard.
Old 02-26-24, 11:56 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Do you ever have an audible clunk accompanying this? Mine will sometimes clunk which can be felt and heard.
I don't think I've ever noticed a clunk when this happens. Although if I'm on the throttle a bit harder when the car is still a little cold and the flare happens, the shift is definitely much more jarring when it finally engages, since it has to bring the engine down from an even higher rpm. Definitely don't think it's clunked though. I'll have to pay attention and see next cold morning I'm out.
Old 02-29-24, 06:27 PM
zcheng3
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have noticed an audible clunk noise when the car approaches a red light and downshifts from 4th to 2nd gear. To mitigate this, I have been shifting to neutral before the downshift.