IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Oil and trans coolers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 03:59 PM
LeftField
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS500 Oil and trans coolers

If anyone was curious on how to install there own coolers on there IS500, was able to hook up these Mishimoto oil coolers up for about half the price of the RR racing kit. I made some aluminum brackets that I riveted onto the reinforcement bar and then bolted up the coils to those. There are different lines you can run, but I ended up running 4 5/8 hoses around the radiators and used 4 AN10 90 degree barbed fittings to attach the hose and 2 5/8-3/8 adapters to attach to the existing trans hoses. Trans lines can just hook right up to the existing trans lines going to the radiator. The engine oil cooler definitely needs a sandwich plate to bolt up to the opposite side of the filter housing, because there is no other way to tap into the oiling system. You need an adapter/extension that goes through the middle of the plate that the original bolt can thread onto. Maybe there's another adapter out there, but the one I got naturally has a bolt face on it so you can bolt it on, but it interferes with the plate. So, I just grinded it off and tightened it down with some vise grips lol. Now all I need is a cheap brake upgrade so they down disintegrated at the track. Maybe taking the backing plates off for cooling and using DOT4 will help

The following 4 users liked this post by LeftField:
ecoil (03-01-24), HydrantHunter (03-04-24), LA20671 (03-05-24), rdsterdave (03-01-24)
Old 03-02-24, 12:15 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

For half the price I'm curious if that setup has thermostats. If it doesn't, you'll probably be OK on the track, but I wouldn't drive on the street very often as your equipment will likely struggle to get up to operating temperature which can cause premature wear. If you *do* street it regularly, try to find a thermostat setup for it - in the long run you'll be glad you did.

Old 03-04-24, 04:54 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
For half the price I'm curious if that setup has thermostats. If it doesn't, you'll probably be OK on the track, but I wouldn't drive on the street very often as your equipment will likely struggle to get up to operating temperature which can cause premature wear.
Side note: For the life of me, I can't comprehend how the the IS500 (stock) transmission can BOTH (a) overheat horribly during aggressive driving, and (b) take 75 years to come up to temperature during normal street driving. Somehow it's the worst of both worlds!
The following 3 users liked this post by 04gita:
95bat (03-04-24), geckornr (03-05-24), HydrantHunter (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 07:26 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 04gita
Side note: For the life of me, I can't comprehend how the the IS500 (stock) transmission can BOTH (a) overheat horribly during aggressive driving, and (b) take 75 years to come up to temperature during normal street driving. Somehow it's the worst of both worlds!
It's one of those baffling mysteries that may never be solved.
The following users liked this post:
95bat (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 09:07 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

It takes my engine oil about 15-20 minutes of driving to fully warm up from a complete cold start. It does feel like a long time but I believe this is normal. Most cars don't have an oil temp gauge so most people never know.
Old 03-04-24, 06:31 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

After some aggressive driving, especially in summer hot weather, if you put your hand on the side of the centre console it is roasting.
Old 03-04-24, 07:16 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Good to know - maybe I'll go ahead and move forward with getting my kit installed sooner rather than later.
Old 03-05-24, 07:59 AM
DaOne
Pit Crew

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Open Vents and Feel the Heat

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
After some aggressive driving, especially in summer hot weather, if you put your hand on the side of the centre console it is roasting.
you don’t even need to drive aggressively. Just open your A/C vents and you will feel the heat coming from the engine bay into the car. I can feel the heat under the car as I step out of the car.
Old 03-05-24, 08:42 AM
all9
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

not to be devils advocate here but are you guys monitoring temps with a gauge that gives you an actual number values & not the factory low-high meter on your dash?

i think some of you might be surprised by how not hot things are... or even more surprised by how hot things need to get to start causing problems

not trying to talk anyone out of extra cooling (especially those of you tracking), but if were just talking about daily driving/stuck in traffic on a hot day or with some spirited runs mixed in & you're worried cause you 'feel radiant heat' coming from the car then dont overthink it, its likely within normal operating temps & nothing to be scared of

now if you guys can supply some actual temperature numbers, i could give you a better idea if you need to be worried or not
The following 2 users liked this post by all9:
HydrantHunter (03-05-24), wfibear (03-05-24)
Old 03-05-24, 09:14 AM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by all9
not to be devils advocate here but are you guys monitoring temps with a gauge that gives you an actual number values & not the factory low-high meter on your dash?

i think some of you might be surprised by how not hot things are... or even more surprised by how hot things need to get to start causing problems

not trying to talk anyone out of extra cooling (especially those of you tracking), but if were just talking about daily driving/stuck in traffic on a hot day or with some spirited runs mixed in & you're worried cause you 'feel radiant heat' coming from the car then dont overthink it, its likely within normal operating temps & nothing to be scared of

now if you guys can supply some actual temperature numbers, i could give you a better idea if you need to be worried or not
You beat me to it I was about to make a similar comment - hot to us is not necessarily hot to mechanical equipment. The roasting center console comment had me wondering until I gave it some serious thought. At least I can probably relax about installing my kit now.
Old 03-05-24, 05:01 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

100%. Yup, that's all par for the course with an internal combustion engine. When only ~15-20% of the energy contained in gasoline is actually used to move the vehicle forward, all the rest must fizzle away as heat. And we have a big engine, which is even less efficient than your normal, averaged size engine. We also have a big transmission with quite a bit of drivetrain frictional losses. So, we give off alot of heat. lol. Sometimes I open up the hood after some spirited driving and you can roast a chicken on top of the V8. With the hood open, I once hanged a piece of paper vertically along the side of the engine, and the natural draft was strong enough to pull the paper inwards and almost turn it horizontally.
Old 03-06-24, 04:17 PM
LeftField
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
For half the price I'm curious if that setup has thermostats. If it doesn't, you'll probably be OK on the track, but I wouldn't drive on the street very often as your equipment will likely struggle to get up to operating temperature which can cause premature wear. If you *do* street it regularly, try to find a thermostat setup for it - in the long run you'll be glad you did.
I did install a thermostat. That's what I meant by "sandwich plate"
The following users liked this post:
HydrantHunter (03-06-24)
Old 03-06-24, 04:22 PM
LeftField
3rd Gear

I'm actually going to the track this Saturday. I'm most worried about the brake now lol. Lexus actually made prototype performance pads for the press cars, but never came out with them.
Old 03-06-24, 04:43 PM
all9
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftField
I'm actually going to the track this Saturday. I'm most worried about the brake now lol. Lexus actually made prototype performance pads for the press cars, but never came out with them.

​​​​​​​yeah, Toms & EBC are the only upgraded options at the moment that I can find outside of factory pads...
Old 03-06-24, 05:55 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeftField
I did install a thermostat. That's what I meant by "sandwich plate"
Clearly, I made a bad assumption based on my own lack of knowledge. Oddly enough, in 40-ish years of tinkering I've never heard the term sandwich plate, even though it's apparently quite common. Thanks for cluing me in on something I should have known long ago.

Quick Reply: IS500 Oil and trans coolers