IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

For those that went from a larger car (GS/LS/5 series/E class etc) to the IS500…

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 08:15 PM
G30540i
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default For those that went from a larger car (GS/LS/5 series/E class etc) to the IS500…

Any regrets? My wife and I are jumping from BMW after decades of only buying BMW after having serious issues with our vehicles in the last couple of years. We had a great experience with the E46/E90 generation, but these newer gens are trash excepting the B58/ZF8 which are the only solid pieces in the whole car. Anyways, we went to test drive an IS500 and while I love the power, handling, THE sound (engine of course, but the ML System too as it is pretty close to the B&W on my 5), and potential better reliability, it felt really small inside compared to my G30 540i. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger but I’m concerned about long drive comfort as I have to drive 90 miles each way 1-2x per week and my 5 series is very comfortable for this. How’s the adaptive cruise control? We even test drove the LS F Sport and it was too much a boat. Really wish they replaced the GS. I really want to go to Lexus as Acura reliability has taken a dump recently with TLX Type S transmissions blowing up too.

Last edited by G30540i; 03-07-24 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-07-24, 08:46 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 944 Likes on 437 Posts

I suppose it depends on the person but I have literally spent all day driving from Austin to Chicago (1,140 miles one way) in one day with my wife and both of us were quite comfortable in my IS 500. So I would say 90 miles is child's play in comparison.
The following users liked this post:
G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 05:21 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

No regrets. I came from a Lexus GS350, owning it over 9 years from new. VERY reliable and only 1 recall (fuel pump). The IS500 is slightly smaller (not much), but I find the front seats more comfortable to me (I'm 6'2"). I usually get some leg cramps or lower back pains after about 2-3 hours on a trip, but when I bought the IS500 out of state last month and drove it home 700 miles over 2 days, I experienced no back pain and minor leg cramps only twice (driving 5 hrs first day, 7 hrs the second). The Mercedes E-series will have the most comfortable seats, but you're likely to have reliability problems in the long run (not as bad as BMW). Depends on how long you keep your cars. I wouldn't own a current MB, Acura or BMW unless it was under warranty, but I like to keep my cars 9-10 years and Lexus allows me to do that without issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by marjenmill:
G30540i (03-08-24), PM22 (03-11-24)
Old 03-08-24, 05:51 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

The IS500 has been by far the most comfortable car my wife and I have ever driven long distances in. Now, if I was in the back, I am not so sure….
G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 06:41 AM
G30540i
Driver

Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah the front seat was fine (except missing the massage function, but it wasn’t really that effective in the 5 anyway) the rear seat is pretty small behind me and I’m only 5’10”. We only have a 13 year old and don’t plan on anymore so it’s not a big deal. I test drove a M3 base recently with manual and an IS500 with a 6 speed would instantly seal the deal!

Wife thinks I’m going to a midlife crisis (I’m 49) looking at the IS500, she wants me to get the LS instead (which has discounts readily available!) 😂

Last edited by G30540i; 03-08-24 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 06:43 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

I'm with these guys, it's really comfy for the front passengers. I had a GS, ES, now IS (all F Sport), and drive an LS frequently. I only miss the size of the ES when I'm traveling and my wife has 50 bags she needs me to load. The seats are great and the suspension is tuned very well in both normal and sport modes.

It also does pretty well with fuel mileage given the V8. At 60 mph I can get ~31 mpg, drops to 27-28 when I go 80 mph.
G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 06:45 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by G30540i
Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah the front seat was fine (except missing the massage function, but it wasn’t really that effective in the 5 anyway) the rear seat is pretty small behind me and I’m only 5’10”. We only have a 13 year old and don’t plan on anymore so it’s not a big deal. I test drove a M3 base recently with manual and an IS500 with a 6 speed would instantly seal the deal!

Wife thinks I’m going to a midlife crisis (I’m 49) looking at the IS500, she wants me to get the LS instead (which has discounts readily available!) 😂
If you can park that long 'ol boat it's a great car! It will hit 60 in like 4.6 I think which is respectable, is crazy comfortable, super silent inside once you ditch the OEM tires, and is a top class higher cruiser imo. I can get 34.5 mpg driving it an hour to service visits!

Edit - it is not a fun car though lol it's a "mature" car.
G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 06:55 AM
G30540i
Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
If you can park that long 'ol boat it's a great car! It will hit 60 in like 4.6 I think which is respectable, is crazy comfortable, super silent inside once you ditch the OEM tires, and is a top class higher cruiser imo. I can get 34.5 mpg driving it an hour to service visits!

Edit - it is not a fun car though lol it's a "mature" car.
Yeah that's my biggest beef with it. My current car is already kinda snooze fest. The only thing exciting is trying to figure out how much the next problem is going to cost me!
Also Lexus V6 Turbo is the main premium engine going forward so the LS with its current engine is going to be available for a long time while the IS500 is the last of the breed. Used GS-Fs are also tempting, but their prices are way too high for their age and mileage -- which likely the IS500 will have the same problem.

Also, if this is the last year for the IS500, does Lexus announce the stop production date ahead of the real SOP like BMW does, or do they just Ninja you by saying it stops when it stops? I’m kinda bored with all the colors in socal right now as it’s basically all colorless options as of now.
Old 03-08-24, 07:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Any regrets? My wife and I are jumping from BMW after decades of only buying BMW after having serious issues with our vehicles in the last couple of years. We had a great experience with the E46/E90 generation, but these newer gens are trash excepting the B58/ZF8 which are the only solid pieces in the whole car. Anyways, we went to test drive an IS500 and while I love the power, handling, THE sound (engine of course, but the ML System too as it is pretty close to the B&W on my 5), and potential better reliability, it felt really small inside compared to my G30 540i. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger but I’m concerned about long drive comfort as I have to drive 90 miles each way 1-2x per week and my 5 series is very comfortable for this. How’s the adaptive cruise control? We even test drove the LS F Sport and it was too much a boat. Really wish they replaced the GS. I really want to go to Lexus as Acura reliability has taken a dump recently with TLX Type S transmissions blowing up too.
I love my IS 500. I didn't have a 5-series or GS, but we did have a Camry before - which is basically the same size inside as a 5-series. I don't really miss the additional space, but my wife and I are child-free at the moment and don't have rear seat passengers too often. It's honestly perfect for someone like us who wants the ability to throw someone in the back seat but not really on a regular basis. At 5'11", I can sit behind myself with knee room to spare, though I have not actually gone for a ride in the rear seat yet.

I also can't help but comment on the newer BMW perspective. My wife and I had a 2021 330i, which we traded last year for a 2023 X3. Both of those cars have been absolutely fantastic to live with. The only issues they had are pretty minor - power trunk kick-to-open sensor failed on our 330i after just a few months of ownership, which we replaced under warranty, and our X3's panoramic sunroof started rattling a few months into ownership, which was also fixed under warranty. They honestly are super nice to drive every day. Long term, it is hard to say, since we only had the 330i for two years, though those two years included a lot of commuting for my wife and also a couple longer trips, including a trip down to Orlando from Atlanta. That was a pretty long drive, and I have to say the 330i did well in terms of not only surviving it without issue but also providing great fuel economy.

I am not trying to convince you not to get an IS 500, rather - I'd say that BMW's ain't what they used to be. In the luxury market, aside from Lexus and maybe Porsche, I think they are one of the most solid options right now. In fact, the 3-series is so good that it's honestly hard for me to recommend most IS models over most 3-series models for any reason other than reliability. However, the IS 500 is a different story. It's got it's own selling points - namely, the V-8! And, I also think it's better-looking than the M340i and, in some ways, has some cool features that are either absent or optional on that car - like the rear sunshade. However, if you are worried about rear-seat accommodations, the M340i would be worth a look. Our 330i had a noticeably roomier rear seat, and it was easier to get in or out of it as well.

On the other hand, if you are prioritizing driving enjoyment, then... it's a matter of preference. Some people can't get over the "lAcK oF mIdRaNgE tOrQuE" in the Lexus, which is why they go BMW. In my opinion, the IS 500 delivers plenty of torque, and it's instant. Does it squish me into the seat at 2,000 RPM? No, but it just builds smoothly... Which, honestly, makes it a lot less scary to drive and easier to control when driving spiritedly.

Last edited by arentz07; 03-08-24 at 07:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Bechtold (03-08-24), G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 09:10 AM
G30540i
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
I love my IS 500. I didn't have a 5-series or GS, but we did have a Camry before - which is basically the same size inside as a 5-series. I don't really miss the additional space, but my wife and I are child-free at the moment and don't have rear seat passengers too often. It's honestly perfect for someone like us who wants the ability to throw someone in the back seat but not really on a regular basis. At 5'11", I can sit behind myself with knee room to spare, though I have not actually gone for a ride in the rear seat yet.

I also can't help but comment on the newer BMW perspective. My wife and I had a 2021 330i, which we traded last year for a 2023 X3. Both of those cars have been absolutely fantastic to live with. The only issues they had are pretty minor - power trunk kick-to-open sensor failed on our 330i after just a few months of ownership, which we replaced under warranty, and our X3's panoramic sunroof started rattling a few months into ownership, which was also fixed under warranty. They honestly are super nice to drive every day. Long term, it is hard to say, since we only had the 330i for two years, though those two years included a lot of commuting for my wife and also a couple longer trips, including a trip down to Orlando from Atlanta. That was a pretty long drive, and I have to say the 330i did well in terms of not only surviving it without issue but also providing great fuel economy.

I am not trying to convince you not to get an IS 500, rather - I'd say that BMW's ain't what they used to be. In the luxury market, aside from Lexus and maybe Porsche, I think they are one of the most solid options right now. In fact, the 3-series is so good that it's honestly hard for me to recommend most IS models over most 3-series models for any reason other than reliability. However, the IS 500 is a different story. It's got it's own selling points - namely, the V-8! And, I also think it's better-looking than the M340i and, in some ways, has some cool features that are either absent or optional on that car - like the rear sunshade. However, if you are worried about rear-seat accommodations, the M340i would be worth a look. Our 330i had a noticeably roomier rear seat, and it was easier to get in or out of it as well.

On the other hand, if you are prioritizing driving enjoyment, then... it's a matter of preference. Some people can't get over the "lAcK oF mIdRaNgE tOrQuE" in the Lexus, which is why they go BMW. In my opinion, the IS 500 delivers plenty of torque, and it's instant. Does it squish me into the seat at 2,000 RPM? No, but it just builds smoothly... Which, honestly, makes it a lot less scary to drive and easier to control when driving spiritedly.
BMWs are basically made for the 3 year lease window. They are perfect for the 1st several years. I've had my 5 series for almost 7 years now and number of issues are coming up now even though it's only at 55,000 miles. My wife's 2019 X5 4.0 oil pump failed at only 27,000 miles and of course it's already out of warranty. Oil pumps aren't supposed to go bad these days. Look up B58 plastic oil pump failure ,oil filter housing leak, and G series AC Evaporator failure. These are all $2000+ repair bills
BMW went to a metal oil pump in 2020+ so it should be ok for your X3.

The B58 is torquey but does have a bit of lag at times if caught flat footed. The IS500 I test drove has much more immediate throttle response, but the transmission does pale a bit when compared to the legendary ZF8.
arentz07 (03-09-24)
Old 03-08-24, 09:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

BMWs are basically made for the 3 year lease window. They are perfect for the 1st several years. I've had my 5 series for almost 7 years now and number of issues are coming up now even though it's only at 55,000 miles. My wife's 2019 X5 4.0 oil pump failed at only 27,000 miles and of course it's already out of warranty. Oil pumps aren't supposed to go bad these days. Look up B58 plastic oil pump failure ,oil filter housing leak, and G series AC Evaporator failure. These are all $2000+ repair bills
BMW went to a metal oil pump in 2020+ so it should be ok for your X3.

The B58 is torquey but does have a bit of lag at times if caught flat footed. The IS500 I test drove has much more immediate throttle response, but the transmission does pale a bit when compared to the legendary ZF8.
I'd honestly argue the ZF is almost TOO good, to the point of almost feeling clinical and soulless at times. The Aisin has this sorta rough and aggressive nature about it, which may be objectively worse, but in a car that seems to be all about enjoying the spirited drives, I think it is more fun this way.

Hopefully the X3 will be fine. I hope so, since my wife has told me that this time, she wants to hang onto it for a while. She really loves it; she even to this day still exclaims, "Look at my car! She's so pretty!" when we walk up to it in a parking lot. So hopefully she either changes her mind about keeping it long term, or the issues are not as bad as prior years.

And yeah I have heard about the oil pump - it seems they have updated that, though it is concerning that it was ever plastic in the first place.

And, for whatever it's worth, the IS 500 hasn't exactly had the best track record. The high-pressure fuel pump on IS 500 and RC F models in the past few years has been somewhat of a sore spot, with the infamous "crickets under the hood" noises. Those noises don't always lead to failure, but it does happen. Also, the front bumper cover tends to pop out under the driver's side headlight or sag underneath the hood - both of which I've seen on others' cars just in my local club, which is a small sample size. Cars like this, lower-volume performance-y cars, are inherently going to have stupid crap like this from time to time.
Old 03-08-24, 10:20 AM
G30540i
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'd honestly argue the ZF is almost TOO good, to the point of almost feeling clinical and soulless at times. The Aisin has this sorta rough and aggressive nature about it, which may be objectively worse, but in a car that seems to be all about enjoying the spirited drives, I think it is more fun this way.

Hopefully the X3 will be fine. I hope so, since my wife has told me that this time, she wants to hang onto it for a while. She really loves it; she even to this day still exclaims, "Look at my car! She's so pretty!" when we walk up to it in a parking lot. So hopefully she either changes her mind about keeping it long term, or the issues are not as bad as prior years.

And yeah I have heard about the oil pump - it seems they have updated that, though it is concerning that it was ever plastic in the first place.

And, for whatever it's worth, the IS 500 hasn't exactly had the best track record. The high-pressure fuel pump on IS 500 and RC F models in the past few years has been somewhat of a sore spot, with the infamous "crickets under the hood" noises. Those noises don't always lead to failure, but it does happen. Also, the front bumper cover tends to pop out under the driver's side headlight or sag underneath the hood - both of which I've seen on others' cars just in my local club, which is a small sample size. Cars like this, lower-volume performance-y cars, are inherently going to have stupid crap like this from time to time.
Yikes just got done reading the fuel pump threads, reminds me of the horrible E90 HPFP over 15 years ago. That's weird as this engine isn't new, so maybe Lexus switched suppliers. Hopefully later builds no longer have this problem.

The front bumper issue would be annoying also. Especially with the "epoxy fix" which I doubt would hold up to freezing temps in Chicago or the heat of Phoenix. Hopefully, I won't have those issues...
Old 03-08-24, 11:01 AM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 833 Likes on 346 Posts

it felt really small inside compared to my G30 540i. .
It's funny. When I drive my wife's 330 for a long time and then switch to my IS500, I immediately get this almost claustrophobic moment for a few seconds before re-adjusting. It does definitely feel tighter and smaller compared to most other vehicles in similar size range, but that feeling vanishes very quickly, and you realize how comfortable the car really is, and enjoyable to drive. I've been in the car for hours on end, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, long highway stretches, etc and it is a very enjoyable and comfortable ride. If anything, the thing that annoys me most is that I can't open it up to redline and roar the V8 when there is too much traffic on the road. The beast wants to be unleashed. LOL.
The following 3 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
arentz07 (03-09-24), Bechtold (03-08-24), G30540i (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 12:35 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 292 Likes on 109 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on your build and frame. I find that the driver's footwell on the IS 500 is fairly cramped to fit the V8 in the engine bay.

You get used to it, but I don't find my foot placement particularly comfortable as the pedals are very close together and the packaging for the powertrain creates a pretty sizable hump in the driver's side footwell.

Coming from previous GSs, LSs, an also having a GX 460, I do have to adjust to the IS 500 pedal placement. It's fine after a while, but something to mention for long drives.
Old 03-08-24, 06:22 PM
G30540i
Driver

Originally Posted by geckornr
I think a lot of it depends on your build and frame. I find that the driver's footwell on the IS 500 is fairly cramped to fit the V8 in the engine bay.

You get used to it, but I don't find my foot placement particularly comfortable as the pedals are very close together and the packaging for the powertrain creates a pretty sizable hump in the driver's side footwell.

Coming from previous GSs, LSs, an also having a GX 460, I do have to adjust to the IS 500 pedal placement. It's fine after a while, but something to mention for long drives.
How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and I did notice a bit tight on my right thigh. Now that you mention it, I'll pay more attention to the tunnel the next time I get in an IS500. Does the IS350 also have the same size transmission tunnel? I'm asking because my local dealer just sold the IS500 I was looking at and they only have the IS350 now.

Quick Reply: For those that went from a larger car (GS/LS/5 series/E class etc) to the IS500…