IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Data Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 12:21 AM
WRXvLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Data Tracking

I have a 2023 IS500.

When I purchased my car it came with the option to pair the vehicle to my phone. I never did this. It also came with a built-in dashcam and "sos" tracking features. I never enabled them. Is there a way to completely know with full confidence that my vehicle is not transmitting my driving patterns somewhere? I have been coming across a few articles recently that newer vehicles are recording driving behavior and giving this information to insurance companies.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-24, 04:58 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I think you're being a touch too paranoid. I don't think Lexus is sharing information with insurance companies.
Old 03-22-24, 06:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXvLEX
I have a 2023 IS500.

When I purchased my car it came with the option to pair the vehicle to my phone. I never did this. It also came with a built-in dashcam and "sos" tracking features. I never enabled them. Is there a way to completely know with full confidence that my vehicle is not transmitting my driving patterns somewhere? I have been coming across a few articles recently that newer vehicles are recording driving behavior and giving this information to insurance companies.

Thanks in advance!
If you get the Lexus app, you can disable the "Drive Pulse" feature. I don't know that they completely stop recording anything, but it at least will disable the functionality in the app.

I think you want SOS lol. Nothing wrong with having your location data in the case of an emergency. It's not tracking all your vehicle data as far as I know - but in the event of a serious accident, the black box will have all that information anyway.
Old 03-22-24, 06:41 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I have a 2023 IS500.

Thanks in advance!
If you have a newer vehicle I think you're screwed on tracking.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...anies-44505718
Old 03-22-24, 07:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I must be the only one but I am at a point where I don't care that people track me - I mean my employer tracks my web activity, my credit card tracks what I purchase, my internet tracks the site I visit when I am home (explains why they sound uncomfortable when I call them to discuss my account - LMAO), pretty sure my wife tracks me too....so I am like whatever! Track me all you want....I am not sure they know which stall I use when I go for a dump but I am sure someone tracks which toilet gets flushed more often (lol)
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
HydrantHunter (03-23-24), TipsyTonio (03-24-24), Vindahawk4 (03-23-24)
Old 03-22-24, 07:07 AM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I think you're being a touch too paranoid. I don't think Lexus is sharing information with insurance companies.
Several automotive companies are already doing so with LexisNexis and this other data broker that insurance companies use, in particular GM. It has affected GM owners insurance premiums with vehicles who have certain features enabled.

I have to look into Toyota/Lexus again, but I opted out and disabled connected features. This is a premium car, not a free email account, my info shouldn't be sold by the manufacturer.
The following users liked this post:
Oloung1 (04-30-24)
Old 03-22-24, 08:37 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 305 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I must be the only one but I am at a point where I don't care that people track me - I mean my employer tracks my web activity, my credit card tracks what I purchase, my internet tracks the site I visit when I am home (explains why they sound uncomfortable when I call them to discuss my account - LMAO), pretty sure my wife tracks me too....so I am like whatever! Track me all you want....I am not sure they know which stall I use when I go for a dump but I am sure someone tracks which toilet gets flushed more often (lol)
You're definitely not the only one in fact I'd say your view is in line with the majority. The crappy part is that those of us that don't want to be tracked don't really have any power to stop it when most people don't care.

No judgement on you or the people that don't really care about privacy anymore, I totally understand it I just wish there was a way for me to hold onto my privacy without essentially opting out of society/ the modern world.
The following 4 users liked this post by cyfi66:
DLPTony (04-30-24), HydrantHunter (03-23-24), Vindahawk4 (03-23-24), wthrman2 (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 08:46 AM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm sure it's always tracking you but what it does with the information I'm not sure. Hell, I have a USAA app where I LET them track me and in return I get a minimum of 30% off my insurance. The app nanny will give me a nasty message when I corner too hard, brake too hard or accelerate too hard but it's mainly concerned about me talking on the phone or texting while driving. Unless you drive and go places without your phone, I'm sure it knows more about you than your car does.
HydrantHunter (03-23-24)
Old 03-22-24, 08:52 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Hello, this is Frank from Overcharge and Abuse insurance company calling to tell you that we've had to increase your premium because you did 3 successive burnouts in your IS500 last month.
"What are you talking about? Wasn't me, the car just slipped. The OEM tires suck"

The following 5 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
Bechtold (03-22-24), Benibiker1558 (03-22-24), HydrantHunter (03-23-24), Vindahawk4 (03-23-24), wthrman2 (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 09:51 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
You're definitely not the only one in fact I'd say your view is in line with the majority. The crappy part is that those of us that don't want to be tracked don't really have any power to stop it when most people don't care.

No judgement on you or the people that don't really care about privacy anymore, I totally understand it I just wish there was a way for me to hold onto my privacy without essentially opting out of society/ the modern world.
I am with you. I do value my privacy a lot and it's not right (to me) that info about me is essentially stolen and sold. Only thing you can do is drive an older car I guess, and leave your cell phone at home if you're worried.
HydrantHunter (03-23-24)
Old 03-22-24, 09:52 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by TCM55
Several automotive companies are already doing so with LexisNexis and this other data broker that insurance companies use, in particular GM. It has affected GM owners insurance premiums with vehicles who have certain features enabled.

I have to look into Toyota/Lexus again, but I opted out and disabled connected features. This is a premium car, not a free email account, my info shouldn't be sold by the manufacturer.
I suspect you have to opt in for that, and any data is stripped of identifiers.
Old 03-22-24, 12:20 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I suspect you have to opt in for that, and any data is stripped of identifiers.
You can go to Toyota's website and opt out... Opt Out Toyota

Found this too...
"You can stop participating in the Lexus Program or using your Pulse Wallet at any time. To request the removal of your Driver Pulse Account and anonymization or deletion of any personal data (if required) you may contact drivers@tenstreet.com."

"They say" the data is de-identified, where no name is passed, but they do pass the VIN and the VIN can be linked to your name, so yeah...they can get to your identify.
The following 3 users liked this post by marjenmill:
HydrantHunter (03-23-24), Oloung1 (04-30-24), TCM55 (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 04:33 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

It’s becoming a serious problem. There’s been instances of stalking and increased insurance rates without any explanation. Data = $ from top to bottom. There’s incentives to gather and sell your driving data beginning from the time of purchase all the way to the insurers. It’s pretty widely reported so I’m unsure why some deny it or downplay it.

Just make sure you and your vehicle are not registered with whatever app is available from your vehicles platform. Sales reps do get bonuses for signing you up, and some have reported being signed up without their knowledge or consent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...insurance.html
HydrantHunter (03-23-24)
Old 03-22-24, 07:05 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
It’s becoming a serious problem. There’s been instances of stalking and increased insurance rates without any explanation. Data = $ from top to bottom. There’s incentives to gather and sell your driving data beginning from the time of purchase all the way to the insurers. It’s pretty widely reported so I’m unsure why some deny it or downplay it.

Just make sure you and your vehicle are not registered with whatever app is available from your vehicles platform. Sales reps do get bonuses for signing you up, and some have reported being signed up without their knowledge or consent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...insurance.html
That's true, my salesperson has always insisted I download the app and sign up immediately, right there at delivery. I figured he got a bonus and long-term, Lexus figures it a money making thing. Three years after free period ends you have to pay to subscribe. The last time it expired in my NX I just deleted it because I mainly use it to see if I locked the car if I can't remember. I still believe vehicle data is the least of our worries considering what our phones know about us.
HydrantHunter (03-23-24)
Old 03-22-24, 10:16 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

I have a 2023 IS500.

Thanks in advance!
When you sign up for these features, it explicitly says that no data is shared without your express consent.

you could wrap your DCM in tinfoil I guess

Quick Reply: Data Tracking