IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front plate installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 04:49 PM
vj123
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front plate installation

I am in the market for an IS500 and keeping an eye on the inventory to find something closer to my preferred spec. A major concern while shopping out of state is the front plate and i have not had them on any of my vehicles until recently. I picked up a Toyota last month from an our of state and it ended up having a front plate even though i requested the dealership not to install it before the vehicle was produced. On the day of delivery, my SA told me that front plate was installed at the port as vehicles sold in NY state needs front plate and he didn't have any control over it (not sure if it was true).

It would be helpful if the community can help me on the below questions regarding the IS500:
- Typically, is the front plate installed at the port or at the dealership?
- If i end up finding a vehicle with a front plate, can the assembly be removed without major issues?
- Is the front plate just screwed on to the grille without any holes being drilled onto the bumper or body panels which would be visible from outside?

I tried searching the above and most of the forum information is regarding the front mount options without drilling the holes.

Last edited by vj123; 04-22-24 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 05:54 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts

My dealership handled it as part of the pre-delivery preparation.

Fortunately my sales girl was knowledgeable enough that she looked up my state as a 1-plate state, and left the entire OEM front mounting kit in the trunk, in case I need it later.

It mounts via 2 large screws that go deep into the diamonds on the front grille. I've seen these holes before and they aren't very noticeable. If you were to install it, I would pre-drill with a 3/16" or 3mm bit.

Ultimately I think it just ends up to how on-the-ball your dealership is. Mine sent me pictures the second the car got off the truck. I had also put down a deposit so she was very interested in making sure I gave her all the money they could get.

The following users liked this post:
vj123 (04-23-24)
Old 04-22-24, 06:43 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

I took the front license plate frame off my first IS500. The screw holes are very deep in between the grill slots. Even on a bright day you’d need someone to point them out and be within a foot or so to even have a chance at seeing them. Definitely shouldn’t be a worry if they end up installing the front frame as no way you’ll notice the holes once removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by jororo:
Vindahawk4 (04-23-24), vj123 (04-23-24)
Old 04-22-24, 07:03 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

It is done at the dealer because they did not drill mine, I had to sign a paper (California) stating that they did not install the front license plate and I am driving away without one. However, as jororo stated, the holes are so hard to see. I removed my front plates on all my IS'es that had holes and they were hardly noticeable because they are deep behind the grill. I only really noticed it looking straight on with the sun rays in the same direction but it did not bug me or look out of place (and little things like that bug me).

So is it nice I don't have holes in the car? Yes, but I still would've bought it if they had them.
vj123 (04-23-24)
Old 04-22-24, 08:46 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 384 Likes on 168 Posts

I told my salesperson when I went to see my GW 500 the first time to not install the plate holder
vj123 (04-23-24)
Old 04-23-24, 06:21 AM
vj123
Rookie

Originally Posted by mastershibe
My dealership handled it as part of the pre-delivery preparation.
Its good to know that dealership handles the installation.

Originally Posted by jororo
I took the front license plate frame off my first IS500. The screw holes are very deep in between the grill slots. Even on a bright day you’d need someone to point them out and be within a foot or so to even have a chance at seeing them. Definitely shouldn’t be a worry if they end up installing the front frame as no way you’ll notice the holes once removed.
Glad to hear that it shouldn't be an issue even if the front plate is installed.

Originally Posted by prophecywhiteis500
It is done at the dealer because they did not drill mine, I had to sign a paper (California) stating that they did not install the front license plate and I am driving away without one. However, as jororo stated, the holes are so hard to see. I removed my front plates on all my IS'es that had holes and they were hardly noticeable because they are deep behind the grill. I only really noticed it looking straight on with the sun rays in the same direction but it did not bug me or look out of place (and little things like that bug me).
That gives me some piece of mind.

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
I told my salesperson when I went to see my GW 500 the first time to not install the plate holder
I have done that on all of my out of state purchases as well but want to ensure the process due the mishap during my recent toyota delivery.
Old 04-23-24, 07:25 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought my car in a 2 plate state, but my state only has 1 plate, and no they did not install the plate holder.

I also told the dealer “no dealer decals” on the car which they did not install either thank goodness. I don’t want to drive a dealership’s billboard down the street everywhere. I can’t believe so many people let them ruin their cars that way.
vj123 (04-24-24)
Old 04-23-24, 08:31 PM
ecoil
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked them not to install it when I purchased it. They ended up just leaving it for me in the car to install later if I want.
vj123 (04-24-24)
Old 04-23-24, 08:53 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

My salesman asked me if I wanted on the car and I said No. He was on the no camp too and we are in Texas which is unfortunately a two plate state. I remember them asking me also on my 2018 IS 350 also.
vj123 (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 04:58 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

In New Jersey and New York, the dealership installs the plate mount. As with some of the other IS 500 owners, I gave explicit instructions NOT to install it. (smile)
vj123 (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 06:07 AM
vj123
Rookie

Originally Posted by marjenmill
I bought my car in a 2 plate state, but my state only has 1 plate, and no they did not install the plate holder.
Originally Posted by ecoil
I asked them not to install it when I purchased it. They ended up just leaving it for me in the car to install later if I want.
Originally Posted by Bechtold
My salesman asked me if I wanted on the car and I said No. He was on the no camp too and we are in Texas which is unfortunately a two plate state.
Originally Posted by cajun
In New Jersey and New York, the dealership installs the plate mount. As with some of the other IS 500 owners, I gave explicit instructions NOT to install it. (smile)
Appreciate your inputs.