IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Steering wheel upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 12:09 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HydrantHunter
If I were going to do a flat-bottomed wheel for my IS 500, this is what I would go for - the black with white stitching would match my storm trooper perfectly and it's not at all overstated. Having had a flat-bottomed wheel in another car I owned, I really appreciated how much easier it was to get in and out of the car. Even with the wheel moving mostly out of the way in the IS 500 I think it would help.

There are some downsides, however. Drifting and getting sideways in general can be a bit problematic with a flat-bottomed wheel - even with practice - and with the IS 500's RWD making sideways time relatively easy to clock in and out of, I'd like to find a round one with a slightly smaller circumference than the stock wheel.

If you end up installing the wheel I'd love to see pics - I think that OEM+ design is really classy.
@HydrantHunter You said it perfectly! OEM + is exactly how I would describe this look. I like the curvier, thicker grips on the bottom half and the white stitching (current is offwhite, maybe grey). Design is way racier than OEM but can still pass for OEM which is how I prefer it. I've had a number of cars with flat bottom wheel and it does help with getting in/out which seems to take a bit of effort with IS 500. Not sure why, its doesn't sit that low. Fortunately, none of the downsides you mentioned are in play for me.

Now as far as install goes, it looks pretty simple but I've had some experience with wheel being off center in the past and it was a pain to fix, also took a while. Wondering if maybe I can find a Lexus tech who moonlights a bit on the side... I was fortunate to have that arrangement for a while when I had GTI's. Added a great deal of satisfaction to my ownership experience.

Come to think of it... I wonder what a Lexus dealer would say if I asked them to install it? Besides threaten me with localized warranty outages that is. What can they possibly charge me? An hours worth of labor?

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 05-15-24 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 05:52 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
@Pandonsf This is very nice! Exactly the config I would pick. No CF, just better curves and flat bottom with white stitching since car is white.

Do you know if this is built on the actual OEM Lexus wheel? How does it feel quality wise? Also, source and price would be helpful.

Btw, why not at least install and see how it feels?
I might, will definitely take some pics if I do.

ordered from here https://lexusacc.com it was $580
The following users liked this post:
HydrantHunter (05-16-24)
Old 05-16-24, 01:35 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
@HydrantHunter You said it perfectly! OEM + is exactly how I would describe this look. I like the curvier, thicker grips on the bottom half and the white stitching (current is offwhite, maybe grey). Design is way racier than OEM but can still pass for OEM which is how I prefer it. I've had a number of cars with flat bottom wheel and it does help with getting in/out which seems to take a bit of effort with IS 500. Not sure why, its doesn't sit that low. Fortunately, none of the downsides you mentioned are in play for me.

Now as far as install goes, it looks pretty simple but I've had some experience with wheel being off center in the past and it was a pain to fix, also took a while. Wondering if maybe I can find a Lexus tech who moonlights a bit on the side... I was fortunate to have that arrangement for a while when I had GTI's. Added a great deal of satisfaction to my ownership experience.

Come to think of it... I wonder what a Lexus dealer would say if I asked them to install it? Besides threaten me with localized warranty outages that is. What can they possibly charge me? An hours worth of labor?
Getting out of the IS 500 definitely requires more effort than I would expect. I've found raising the seat helps, and moving it forward a bit so I don't have to work myself around the B pillar helps, too - but I can only get so far up and/or forward before I'm running into the steering wheel (even when it's all the way forward and up). The car needs longer front doors/openings - I'm guessing it's a bit easier with the RC since it's a 2-door which typically means longer doors/openings.

I'm curious what your dealer would quote for the wheel install. My dealer isn't kind and I'd never have them do anything that isn't covered by warranty.
Old 05-16-24, 01:40 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Getting out of the IS 500 definitely requires more effort than I would expect. I've found raising the seat helps, and moving it forward a bit so I don't have to work myself around the B pillar helps, too - but I can only get so far up and/or forward before I'm running into the steering wheel (even when it's all the way forward and up). The car needs longer front doors/openings - I'm guessing it's a bit easier with the RC since it's a 2-door which typically means longer doors/openings.

I'm curious what your dealer would quote for the wheel install. My dealer isn't kind and I'd never have them do anything that isn't covered by warranty.
Somewhat off-topic to the steering wheel discussion, but are you using the comfort entry/exit feature in yours? i.e., when I get in the car the seat is pretty far back, but then it and the steering wheel move so that I am closer when I turn it on.
Old 05-16-24, 05:47 PM
HydrantHunter
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Somewhat off-topic to the steering wheel discussion, but are you using the comfort entry/exit feature in yours? i.e., when I get in the car the seat is pretty far back, but then it and the steering wheel move so that I am closer when I turn it on.
Yeah, I have that feature enabled - in fact I have it set to the "don't go as far back" setting. I have my seat set about as low as it'll go, and my driveway is slightly angled up, so working my way out of the seat and around the B pillar when I get home requires a bit of oomph even on the less 'aggressive' comfort setting. If I could have my wish, the comfort setting would allow us to adjust and store the entry/exit position.
Old 05-20-24, 08:22 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Yeah, I have that feature enabled - in fact I have it set to the "don't go as far back" setting. I have my seat set about as low as it'll go, and my driveway is slightly angled up, so working my way out of the seat and around the B pillar when I get home requires a bit of oomph even on the less 'aggressive' comfort setting. If I could have my wish, the comfort setting would allow us to adjust and store the entry/exit position.
Same issue here and I tried both easy entry settings. No big deal, I can live with it. But, if it can be made a little easier, it would be appreciated.

Still looking around... and from what I can tell, there are lots of people offering these custom wheels fronted by what look like personal accounts on Instagram and Facebook. There are also lots of these available for sale on eBay as well.

Not feeling super comfortable with something like that, as I would prefer a product from a more established shop with a solid reputation albeit at a higher cost. Seems highly probable to me that many of these are coming out of China, as likely production costs and asking prices simply don't align. I'm referring to the common claim that an OEM core is used as a basis, which to my knowledge costs roughly $600 from a discount parts shop. Hard for me to wrap my head around how some guys opt to install something shady like this into their brand new, under warranty car in 60-70k price range.

How would you know how fit, finish, function is... or how it would hold up... or if it will fold in half should the air bag go off. What am I missing?
Old 05-20-24, 08:34 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 211 Posts

there are several sellers on IG and a couple in the IS500 faceschmuck group that have sold plenty of custom steering wheels across most of the lexus models. customer testimonials and feedback are the only guarantee you'll get from the seller. prices are pretty close and with other sellers starting to come up, there is more competition and pricing is negotiable. if you're worried about the air bag portion, you can simply reuse the stock one from your car. R2 air bag to another cover is simple though.
Old 05-20-24, 08:46 PM
DeepBlue99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp2
there are several sellers on IG and a couple in the IS500 faceschmuck group that have sold plenty of custom steering wheels across most of the lexus models. customer testimonials and feedback are the only guarantee you'll get from the seller. prices are pretty close and with other sellers starting to come up, there is more competition and pricing is negotiable. if you're worried about the air bag portion, you can simply reuse the stock one from your car. R2 air bag to another cover is simple though.
I was just looking around on that big IS500 FB group. Lots there as well.

I hear ya... and granted, I may be overthinking this a bit... it just seems to me like a lot of corners are being cut for the price to be at that level. Air bag wise, I was referring to the possibility that base frame on which it will sit has the durability/rigidity of a bent coat hanger for all I know.

Surely there is someone making/selling these at a higher level than this. Would Jay Leno buy one of these from a FB group?