IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

A/C not blowing as cold as expected

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 04:38 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^^ and we all appreciate the update! It is frustrating when people create a post for some help and then never report back and many people chime in, so that my friend, is greatly appreciated
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (06-02-24)
Old 05-28-24, 09:18 PM
MoltenDebt
Driver

Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad it worked out! I only just learned this morning from TheStraightPipes video that there was an ECO climate control mode in the infotainment.
Old 05-29-24, 07:31 AM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Good to hear…

I took my car in to the dealer and they discovered when my bumper was swapped out and sensors recalibrated, their collision repair center drained some of the Freon and didn’t fill it all the way up again. The service advisor was saying the slight drain is normal if the bumper is removed but it should have been fully recharged.

either way, I’ve got cold air again too!
Old 05-30-24, 06:27 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkH513
Just wanted to provide a quick update on the AC performance. I realized the other day that I've been driving around in Eco mode, mostly because I like for the transmission to downshift quickly during routine driving. In any event, from some other posts I realized that the AC performance is reduced in eco mode. When I put the car back in normal driving mode I no longer have any issues with the AC and it's blowing nice and cold. I appreciate everyone's input!
I just accidentally drove my car home from work (about 20 miles) in Eco mode and didn't notice any difference with the A/C, it was super cold in Eco as in any other mode. Strange....
Old 05-31-24, 03:41 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 388 Likes on 172 Posts

If you go to page 248 of your owner's manual, you can see how to customize the A/C so it works normally when in ECO drive mode and not restricted. That must be why my A/C and others work normally in ECO drive mode, our dealers may have set this a certain way.

Last edited by Benibiker1558; 05-31-24 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-31-24, 04:22 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

I guess that is why I have no problems with mine. The dealers here probably set the AC to work in summer (110 degrees or more) I am glad to see this post of a solution because I was reading this entire thread and laughing out loud when someone said, its in the high 80s and they had the AC on. High 80s is "top down windows open" weather here. Last night at midnight it was in the high 80s.
And I have only had AC problems once, when the Freon got "dirty" and had to be flushed and cleaned. Still using 21 year old Freon.
A comment to the person that set his AC colder than he wanted then turned it up when the car cooled down. That does not help. The car will cool down at the same rate if you just set it where you want it. Turning it lower to "cool down the car" does not make it cool faster. Save some gasoline and set it to your desired temp.
Old 05-31-24, 05:57 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I guess that is why I have no problems with mine. The dealers here probably set the AC to work in summer (110 degrees or more) I am glad to see this post of a solution because I was reading this entire thread and laughing out loud when someone said, its in the high 80s and they had the AC on. High 80s is "top down windows open" weather here. Last night at midnight it was in the high 80s.
And I have only had AC problems once, when the Freon got "dirty" and had to be flushed and cleaned. Still using 21 year old Freon.
A comment to the person that set his AC colder than he wanted then turned it up when the car cooled down. That does not help. The car will cool down at the same rate if you just set it where you want it. Turning it lower to "cool down the car" does not make it cool faster. Save some gasoline and set it to your desired temp.
I'm guessing that last bit is for me.... kind of hard to take your comment seriously when you tell somebody to save gas who is driving a 14 mpg V8 LOL

In regards to the cabin temp, however you want to think about it, I get cold after a bit and I have to turn the temp up. That was the point. But using basic logic, if the AC is set to low and pumping 60 degree air into the cabin compared being set to 72 and pumping 72 degree air into the cabin you're saying both scenarios will cool the cabin in the same amount of time? I definitely don't agree on that one.

Lastly... the dealer can't set your AC to work in the summer. The car comes with normal and eco mode for the AC. The dealer doesn't set that, you do it yourself with the drive mode selector or modifying your own custom settings.
Oloung1 (06-01-24)
Old 05-31-24, 08:20 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I'm guessing that last bit is for me.... kind of hard to take your comment seriously when you tell somebody to save gas who is driving a 14 mpg V8 LOL

In regards to the cabin temp, however you want to think about it, I get cold after a bit and I have to turn the temp up. That was the point. But using basic logic, if the AC is set to low and pumping 60 degree air into the cabin compared being set to 72 and pumping 72 degree air into the cabin you're saying both scenarios will cool the cabin in the same amount of time? I definitely don't agree on that one.

Lastly... the dealer can't set your AC to work in the summer. The car comes with normal and eco mode for the AC. The dealer doesn't set that, you do it yourself with the drive mode selector or modifying your own custom settings.
Your knowledge of your car and AC systems is minimal.
First..... what you set the temp to is not what the AC blows into the car. It blows in the coldest it has until the temperature in the cabin reaches the temp you have it set for then it regulates it at that temperature by turning on and off.
Second .....The V8 in an LS430 gets 30 mpg on the highway. If you are getting 14, its time you maintained your car properly
Third.......You can set it, but I wont bother you with details because you probably could not understand them
Old 05-31-24, 09:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Let’s keep things polite and mature folks please.
TCM55 (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 04:49 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Your knowledge of your car and AC systems is minimal.
First..... what you set the temp to is not what the AC blows into the car. It blows in the coldest it has until the temperature in the cabin reaches the temp you have it set for then it regulates it at that temperature by turning on and off.
Second .....The V8 in an LS430 gets 30 mpg on the highway. If you are getting 14, its time you maintained your car properly
Third.......You can set it, but I wont bother you with details because you probably could not understand them
I understand how to use the ignore list!

Last edited by 95bat; 06-01-24 at 05:11 AM.
Oloung1 (06-01-24)
Old 06-02-24, 06:32 AM
Admonkey
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
I’d definitely recommend that mod. Doesn’t make a night & day difference but is something that’s noticeable for sure. Goes from weakly vented seats to weakly AC’d seats. You can actually feel cold air coming thru but big problem of low air velocity remains.
Same. I do definitely recommend.
Old 06-02-24, 06:40 AM
Admonkey
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

Just wanted to provide a quick update on the AC performance. I realized the other day that I've been driving around in Eco mode, mostly because I like for the transmission to downshift quickly during routine driving. In any event, from some other posts I realized that the AC performance is reduced in eco mode. When I put the car back in normal driving mode I no longer have any issues with the AC and it's blowing nice and cold. I appreciate everyone's input!
I'd suggest you program your Custom mode for "Drivetrain = Eco," "Chassis = whatever you prefer," and "Climate = Normal." Then you'll have the best of all worlds for your driving-style and climate control preference at the twist of a ****.
Old 06-02-24, 02:27 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Just wanted to provide a quick update on the AC performance. I realized the other day that I've been driving around in Eco mode, mostly because I like for the transmission to downshift quickly during routine driving. In any event, from some other posts I realized that the AC performance is reduced in eco mode. When I put the car back in normal driving mode I no longer have any issues with the AC and it's blowing nice and cold.!
The long and the short? ECO mode is the devil and should be exorcised from our cars. 😎

No need to know anything else. 🤣
Benibiker1558 (06-02-24)
Old 06-02-24, 03:53 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
The long and the short? ECO mode is the devil and should be exorcised from our cars. 😎
No need to know anything else. 🤣
I find ECO works just fine in my 90+ degree summers here in Austin. AC blows cold and it keeps the temps fine and the fuel economy is just fine. Better than a 300hp Subaru wagon I had years ago that weighed about 400lbs less and about 170 less horsepower. It's just fine and the car still scoots ahead of most stuff in ECO mode. I save Sport for a spot I can actually open it up and fly.
Old 06-02-24, 04:30 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
It's just fine and the car still scoots ahead of most stuff in ECO mode. I save Sport for a spot I can actually open it up and fly.
I’m on my second set of PS4S’ and it’s not from the assistance of Brother ECO. 😉 Not enough juice for me, but I’m glad there’s options! Even if it’s the devil. 😁