IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Paddle shifter replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 10:32 AM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by starman703
They sure do! My wrists\hands were sore for a bit haha
Did you slide the flatheads into both slots on the same side, or one on each side?
Old 05-21-24, 10:54 AM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Did you slide the flatheads into both slots on the same side, or one on each side?
I'm sure there's a proper tool to release the 4 hooks (two on each side), but had to work with what I had.

The first one I only used one flathead, slide-in to create enough of a gap to release the two tiny hooks, this will cause the connecter to be at an angle. While holding the connecter so that the released side doesn't lock back into place, i then used the same flathead and inserted it at the other side to unhook the other two which then fully releases the connecter.

Second time I used two flatheads, one on each side where the little "hooks" are creating just enough of a gap to slide it out.

I found one method isn't easier than the other as I was careful not to break the plastic. It's a bit of a pain; but hey, at least it easily clips back into place.
The following users liked this post:
808c2s (05-28-24)
Old 05-21-24, 11:00 AM
808c2s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by starman703
I'm sure there's a proper tool to release the 4 hooks (two on each side), but had to work with what I had.

The first one I only used one flathead, slide-in to create enough of a gap to release the two tiny hooks, this will cause the connecter to be at an angle. While holding the connecter so that the released side doesn't lock back into place, i then used the same flathead and inserted it at the other side to unhook the other two which then fully releases the connecter.

Second time I used two flatheads, one on each side where the little "hooks" are creating just enough of a gap to slide it out.

I found one method isn't easier than the other as I was careful not to break the plastic. It's a bit of a pain; but hey, at least it easily clips back into place.
Got it
Old 05-21-24, 11:59 AM
Vendetta
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

When I installed my Autotechnic paddles I had the same issue.
Those gold things are electrical contacts, and you need to make sure they are touching when the paddle is pulled. I ended up pulling out a multi meter and bending the contacts and testing till I had a connection. I don't think you'll be able to use a multi meter without pulling the steering wheel though.
Old 05-21-24, 12:49 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks again to everyone for the support. I think I will remove the wheel and fix as I just cant get the screws out.
Old 05-21-24, 08:49 PM
ecoil
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I love walking into a thread describing my exact issue. Having the same problem and just haven't felt like dealing with it. Thanks for the info!
Longwaldo (05-22-24)
Old 05-23-24, 12:12 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Thanks again to everyones support on this, I am all back up and working.

This is my suggested approach.
  1. Pulling the pins to do the paddle change is not advisable as if you bend the contacts on putting in the new paddles, they will not work.
  2. Either remove the wheel (that is what I had to do) or remove the whole paddle assemply.
  3. Once you have done this unclip the covers as pictured above.
  4. Remove the contact as pictured above.
  5. Pull the pin and remove the original paddle.
  6. Put the new paddle back into the assebly and add back the pin.
  7. Put the Contact back on to to the end of the shift leaver (as you can see above, white rectangle).
  8. Put the cove back on.
  9. Reinstall the paddle assembly.
Old 05-28-24, 12:42 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Thanks again to everyones support on this, I am all back up and working.

This is my suggested approach.
  1. Pulling the pins to do the paddle change is not advisable as if you bend the contacts on putting in the new paddles, they will not work.
  2. Either remove the wheel (that is what I had to do) or remove the whole paddle assemply.
  3. Once you have done this unclip the covers as pictured above.
  4. Remove the contact as pictured above.
  5. Pull the pin and remove the original paddle.
  6. Put the new paddle back into the assebly and add back the pin.
  7. Put the Contact back on to to the end of the shift leaver (as you can see above, white rectangle).
  8. Put the cove back on.
  9. Reinstall the paddle assembly.
Thanks for the tips. Did you have to adjust/bend the contacts upon putting it back on?
Old 05-28-24, 12:48 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Thanks for the tips. Did you have to adjust/bend the contacts upon putting it back on?
Yes sir. I had flattened them with the firtst attempt. Just make it look like a little pyramid again and it will push out to the right level when you put the cap back on.
808c2s (05-28-24)