IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Paddle shifter replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 05:20 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Paddle shifter replacement.

Looking for some advice from those that have done this mod.

i purchased a set of F paddles, pulled the split pins with the wheel on, grabbed the new paddles, put them on and put the split pins back but get nothing when I put it in manual mode.

All feels good, do you need to align the paddles in some way when you add them back?.

thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 05-20-24, 07:19 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

You have to remove the blue or yellow cap on the assembly itself.
A brass arm will be exposed.. you have to bend that arm upwards high enough so that it's leveraged when the cap gets clipped back on.

The following users liked this post:
Oloung1 (05-22-24)
Old 05-20-24, 07:43 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Thank you. So you think these got bent during installation?. The were fine before I made the switch.
Old 05-20-24, 07:45 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwaldo
Thank you. So you think these got bent during installation?. The were fine before I made the switch.
Possibly, since you do have to insert the paddle into the slot of the brass arm.
Old 05-20-24, 07:50 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Thanks again, I will take a look tomorrow.
Old 05-20-24, 11:31 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks again, I will take a look tomorrow.
Let us know how it goes. I am also in the same situation as you.
Longwaldo (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 01:32 AM
808c2s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IntrinoX
A brass arm will be exposed.. you have to bend that arm upwards high enough so that it's leveraged when the cap gets clipped back on.
How did you remove that blue cap?
Old 05-21-24, 04:55 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

100% will post here if I find a work around as I am sure others will have the issue.

i know a couple of other members seemed to get it done without issue.

@jnelson @Vendetta did you both pull the pins and swap the leavers or swap the whole paddle and switch.

thanks in advance guys.

Matt
Old 05-21-24, 09:52 AM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IntrinoX
HA! I had this exact same issue when I installed my AutoTecknic Paddle Shifters a few weeks ago. I first installed it by just sliding out the little pin from the paddle shifters (this way you don't have to unscrew the paddle assembly out from the steering wheel)..only to find out neither of my paddle shifters were working after install.
I removed the paddle shifter assembly, used two really small thin flatheads from my computer tool kit, and was able to pop out the connector by sliding them into the sides. This then revealed the copper part, I bent it closer together (figuring it would shape itself out as I put the connecter back in place), BEFORE putting the connecter back into the plastic housing, I put the shifter back in, ensuring that it was within the copper "hole" [just as you have pictured above]. BOOM resolved my issue.

It was only after I re-installed the assembly back into the steering wheel that i realized I should have recorded or taken picture of this issue in case someone has this issue. Glad you did!

EDIT: I added annotations in your image to clear what I said above

Last edited by starman703; 05-21-24 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by starman703:
ecoil (05-21-24), Oloung1 (05-22-24)
Old 05-21-24, 09:57 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

This is why mods de-value cars. Bending pins...I know it's not a huge deal but still. You won't find any bent pins on my car.
Longwaldo (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 10:15 AM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by starman703
HA! I had this exact same issue when I installed my AutoTecknic Paddle Shifters a few weeks ago. I first installed it by just sliding out the little pin from the paddle shifters (this way you don't have to unscrew the paddle assembly out from the steering wheel)..only to find out neither of my paddle shifters were working after install.
I removed the paddle shifter assembly, used two really small thin flatheads from my computer tool kit, and was able to pop out the connector by sliding them into the sides. This then revealed the copper part, I bent it closer together (figuring it would shape itself out as I put the connecter back in place), BEFORE putting the connecter back into the plastic housing, I put the shifter back in, ensuring that it was within the copper "hole" [just as you have pictured above]. BOOM resolved my issue.

It was only after I re-installed the assembly back into the steering wheel that i realized I should have recorded or taken picture of this issue in case someone has this issue. Glad you did!

EDIT: I added annotations in your image to clear what I said above

Thank you. There is no way those screws are coming out without removing the wheel on my car!. I guess that is the next step for me.

:-)
Old 05-21-24, 10:20 AM
starman703
Rookie

Thank you. There is no way those screws are coming out without removing the wheel on my car!. I guess that is the next step for me.

:-)
No need to remove your steering wheel, you just need a short screwdriver to get them out. Put a clean microfiber towel to cover the cluster so that you don't accidentally scratch it, turn the steering wheel so that paddle shifter is positioned at the top. Then remove the two screws from there and disconnect the harness. Annoying process but that's how I did it. Of course, having the steering wheel removed makes accessing those screws much easier haha.
Old 05-21-24, 10:22 AM
808c2s
Intermediate

No need to remove your steering wheel, you just need a short screwdriver to get them out. Put a clean microfiber towel to cover the cluster so that you don't accidentally scratch it, turn the steering wheel so that paddle shifter is positioned at the top. Then remove the two screws from there and disconnect the harness. Annoying process but that's how I did it. Of course, having the steering wheel removed makes accessing those screws much easier haha.
Yes, you're right. No need to remove the steering wheel. However, the screws have a little Blue Loctite on them so unscrewing them requires a little more force, in my experience.
Old 05-21-24, 10:27 AM
starman703
Rookie

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Yes, you're right. No need to remove the steering wheel. However, the screws have a little Blue Loctite on them so unscrewing them requires a little more force, in my experience.
They sure do! My wrists\hands were sore for a bit haha
Old 05-21-24, 10:30 AM
808c2s
Intermediate

They sure do! My wrists\hands were sore for a bit haha
IKR???
Thanks for that explanation with the annotations on the pix
starman703 (05-21-24)

Quick Reply: Paddle shifter replacement.