IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Input Needed: IS500 vs BMW M340i

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 08:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Originally Posted by snowyblue
that was a flaw on the 2ur engine very early on like ISF and GSF. not so much since they fixed that issue in 2016 or 17 not sure which year. Could still happen, but not as likely on the newer 2ur engine
I don't believe this is true What was the fix❓ AFAIK, nothing has changed with the adhesive used to seal to the Valley Plate

Lou
Old 06-24-24, 09:05 PM
chi3fy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even though the inline 6 turbo from BMW is same in the supra and their reliability has gone up id still say IS500 so much joy in hearing that V8 roar with some needed goodies ofcourse. get it you wont regret it!
Old 06-25-24, 03:36 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,806 Posts

<<<IS500 supposedly has far less modern tech than the BMW. GREAT. Less unnecessary intrusions to a driver's car experience. The absolute only modern tech I care about is CarPlay, and I've read you can just add a 3rd party adapter to get wireless CarPlay capability (vs wired).>>>

The Safety Sense 2.5+ suite in the 500 is actually quite modern. Blind spot monitoring, Lane tracing, Adaptive cruise, Rear cross traffic alert, etc.

The lane tracing/centering is no way near as good as the newer 3.0 version, but on long drives, it gets the job done. E.g. You’re not worn out by the drive, in addition to the interior comfort.

From what I’ve seen/read, if the interior doesn’t look and feel like your mobile or tablet, then it’s not ‘modern’. That’s just foolish. 😎

I am an unapologetic FanBoy and I think this car is pretty spectacular.

However, what cannot be denied:
- Its cachet is just as high as the big 3.
- Better looking.
- Isn’t pedestrian.

Go get the 500 and start vroom vroom’n! 😉

Last edited by DLPTony; 06-25-24 at 04:33 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (06-25-24), geckornr (06-25-24), HydrantHunter (06-25-24), ICEforever (06-25-24), wfibear (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 05:11 AM
trippleB
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spielnicht
New to the forum and in the market for a new car. Let's just get this out there: I'm a long-time BMW fan and owner of multiple BMWs (currently and over the years). Just recently sold my 2014 BMW 550i and looking at a replacement. I want to get into something just as powerful but preferably lighter, slightly more compact, and a handling monster. I love V8s. The sound of them. The smoothness. The power. With that said, I've given up on BMW V8s. They're just...bad, in terms of reliability, maintenance and TCO. The obvious option for me had been the M340i (or M440i) with the glorious B58. That is, until I learned that the IS500 has a NA V8 and heard one in person with a Borla S exhaust. Needless to say I immediately fell in love. I've never owned anything but German cars, but had always appreciated and admired Lexus' design language. I genuinely love the way the IS looks.

I've read reviews upon reviews and comparisons of the two cars, but hoping to get a true first-hand perspective from IS500 owners. Have any of you considered the M340i before getting your IS500? What drew you to the IS vs M340i (or other way around)? What would I be missing on getting the IS500 over the M340i? What about the M340i over the IS500?

I already know of the following and factored into my decision (so far):
  • M340i xDrive is gonna run circles around the IS500 (0-60). Don't really care. I'm not drag racing anyone. I'm 45 and just love the thrill of a fast acceleration on the road (and putting some annoying drivers in their place).
  • IS500's achilles heel is the 8-speed tranny - no where as crisp as the ZF8. Again, not gonna be tracking the car, so not as much of a factor.
  • IS500 has what journalists are calling "outdated interior". We already own a 2024 X3 M40i. I actually like the look of the IS interior much more than the cheesy, shiny & plasticy modern BMW interior.
  • IS500 supposedly has far less modern tech than the BMW. GREAT. Less unnecessary intrusions to a driver's car experience. The absolute only modern tech I care about is CarPlay, and I've read you can just add a 3rd party adapter to get wireless CarPlay capability (vs wired).
Collecting as much input as I can from both the BMW forum as well as hopefully here before taking both for a test drive this week, so any input is highly appreciated.

My profile on the BMW forum - to be prove legit-ness

P.s. I posted this originally in the general 2014+ board.
Not sure whether you have done your research on the IS500, besides the 8AT you have already known, there are a couple common issues in the IS500 you should know. There are plenty of discussions on this forum and also the IS500 groups on FB:

- bumper cover separation (this is most frequently seen on the IS500, some IS350 also show similar issue, all model years are impacted; although there is a TSB recently, which has been proved to be ineffective/making the issue worse, so far no 100% working or permanent fix exist);
- fuel pump failure (especially for early model years, 2022/2023, not sure whether they have fixed the design; this issue will cause sudden stalling/shutdown of the powertrain);
- low RPM chirp (typically shows up after some mileage; an opinion indicates this is also related to the fuel pump or injector because some owners observed the issue was temporarily gone after dealership replaced the corresponding parts; some owners also reported less such noise by specifically using Chevron gas);
- moisture in the audio amplifier causing audio system intermittent malfunction (this is a design flaw on all 3IS - the amplifier is placed directly adjacent to the cabin ventilation damper in the trunk, which a small amount of water on the road will be thrown in ultimately and causing short circuit; if you live in a dry area with little precipitation, then you probably do not need to worry about this)
Old 06-25-24, 06:05 AM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I don't believe this is true What was the fix❓ AFAIK, nothing has changed with the adhesive used to seal to the Valley Plate

Lou
you are right, it wasnt a "fix", but i know they did updates to either the plate or sealant so it wouldnt happen as often in early mileage. it will still more than likely happen, but not lower mileage
Old 06-25-24, 07:37 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by trippleB
Not sure whether you have done your research on the IS500, besides the 8AT you have already known, there are a couple common issues in the IS500 you should know. There are plenty of discussions on this forum and also the IS500 groups on FB:

- bumper cover separation (this is most frequently seen on the IS500, some IS350 also show similar issue, all model years are impacted; although there is a TSB recently, which has been proved to be ineffective/making the issue worse, so far no 100% working or permanent fix exist);
- fuel pump failure (especially for early model years, 2022/2023, not sure whether they have fixed the design; this issue will cause sudden stalling/shutdown of the powertrain);
- low RPM chirp (typically shows up after some mileage; an opinion indicates this is also related to the fuel pump or injector because some owners observed the issue was temporarily gone after dealership replaced the corresponding parts; some owners also reported less such noise by specifically using Chevron gas);
- moisture in the audio amplifier causing audio system intermittent malfunction (this is a design flaw on all 3IS - the amplifier is placed directly adjacent to the cabin ventilation damper in the trunk, which a small amount of water on the road will be thrown in ultimately and causing short circuit; if you live in a dry area with little precipitation, then you probably do not need to worry about this)
The last part. ML Audio Amplifier in the IS is under the driver seat, atleast from Marklevinson website IS page its mentioned there. The trunk location is for RC. And older LS.

Fuel pump issue is probably fixed for 2023 MY.

The bumper sag, no fix from Lexus. I doubt they even care at this point for this 3.5IS (IS 350 and IS 500). As 2025 MY will be last for 2UR-GSE in IS 500 (guessing per rumors) and RC F (100% because GT3 LFR is coming). Community fix exists in the sticky bumper sag thread. But the bumper tabs still gets chomped by the pressure.
Old 06-25-24, 10:48 AM
evident
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm kind of in the same spot. Considering an IS500, M340i and Integra Type-S. I've owned a 2014 IS350 for 6 years and it was a great daily driver but sold it due to needing a SUV for the family. I'm considering the IS500 because i still love the interior, physical buttons and everything. It definitely is not a negative to me and would be great to get back into that same interior. fit and finish is very good in my opinion, probably on par with the germans.

Integra Type-S has the manual, better fuel economy, excellent interior layout but the fit and finish is Honda quality, which is OK at best and can be flimsy.
M340i has a monster engine but I can not stand the latest LCI on the 3 series. I hate all the tech and touch screens.
Old 06-25-24, 10:58 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

One thing to note about the IS 500 is that better tires and the RC F LCA bushings dramatically change the handling and driving experience of the car. I liked how the car drove stock (I'm not driving at 10/10ths every day as the automotive media would like you to do to realize the BMW's advantage), but this is my "fun" car and I wanted a little more engagement. I got it with those two mods.

I realize not everyone wants to do mods, but if you're up for swapping your tires to something like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, and don't mind ordering a cheap set of bushings and paying someone to put them on, you'll be very happy. The car is a lot more dialed in, crisp, and connected to the road.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 01:22 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 209 Posts

...my bad...vid already posted

Last edited by cp2; 06-26-24 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-25-24, 01:27 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
The last part. ML Audio Amplifier in the IS is under the driver seat, atleast from Marklevinson website IS page its mentioned there. The trunk location is for RC. And older LS.
I also thought it was under the driver’s seat due to the ML site. I had never actually seen the amp for myself and was wondering about it after reading this today, so I went looking and it is indeed in the trunk, passenger side under a removable carpeted panel (there is a 10mm bolt under a plastic cover on the metal bracket for the cargo net that needs to be removed first). It’s about an inch away from that aforementioned vent, too. There’s already a vent on the driver’s side so I just taped up the one next to the amp as a preventive measure as when it actually rains in my area it tends to be heavy.
LexLight (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 01:42 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Im done with German cars(BMW/Porsche) nothing but problems, $$$$repairs and dealers that just dont care..
Old 06-25-24, 02:02 PM
trippleB
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight

Fuel pump issue is probably fixed for 2023 MY.

The bumper sag, no fix from Lexus. I doubt they even care at this point for this 3.5IS (IS 350 and IS 500). As 2025 MY will be last for 2UR-GSE in IS 500 (guessing per rumors) and RC F (100% because GT3 LFR is coming). Community fix exists in the sticky bumper sag thread. But the bumper tabs still gets chomped by the pressure.
For the ML audio, the amp is still in the trunk. Some owners also mentioned this issue in the Lexus IS500 Owners FB group, the latest one is 3 days ago look for Paul's post there.
LexLight (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 11:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,451 Likes on 1,762 Posts

IS500 wins this comparison

Old 06-26-24, 08:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,881 Posts

It is funny how many times the above video has been posted in this thread. I guess it is very popular.

It was a good video, though. I like that the author described the driving experience of each car in detail. Seems like a channel more orientated towards viewers who prioritize the driving over other things.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
05RollaXRS (06-26-24), DLPTony (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:35 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It is funny how many times the above video has been posted in this thread. I guess it is very popular.

It was a good video, though. I like that the author described the driving experience of each car in detail. Seems like a channel more orientated towards viewers who prioritize the driving over other things.
man...i'm trippin. i swept to see if it was posted...guess i missed the assignment...haha
DLPTony (06-27-24)

Quick Reply: Input Needed: IS500 vs BMW M340i