IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 oil capacity concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-24, 07:58 AM
all9
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default IS500 oil capacity concerns?

I hope some of you guys that do your own OC's can chime in on this...
side note: I'm religious with my maintenance & do my own on my Lotus, but dont mind taking the 500 to a dealer while its under warranty or certain stuff I'm willing to pay for.

Anyways, the manual says 9.1 quarts with filter... I've had my Lexus dealer do my last 2 since they were free (although I supplied my own oil/filter, & ill get to why I'm mentioning that)

With that said, after my recent OC which I know the dealer used the right amount of oil based on what they gave me back from my jug... my level showed that it was way overfilled (ended up being 1.5 quarts overfilled based on what I removed/measured & the level afterwards)

have any of you guys noticed that the 500 (or other 2ur's) take significantly less oil to fill than whats called for in the manual?

if so, how much are you guys ending up putting in to consistently get to the full mark on the stick?

I've also dug into this on the other 2ur-gse models & noticed that some of those owners have also had similar issues with the amount called for in the manual being way more than they actually needed to fill?
Old 07-23-24, 08:36 AM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

just did my own oil change with filter couple weeks ago. put in about 9.1 qts. after running the car and checking, it was right in spec.
You sure they didnt overfill the car, or maybe not drained most of it out?
Old 07-23-24, 08:55 AM
all9
Rookie

Originally Posted by snowyblue
just did my own oil change with filter couple weeks ago. put in about 9.1 qts. after running the car and checking, it was right in spec.
You sure they didnt overfill the car, or maybe not drained most of it out?
Yeah my only logical thought is that maybe they didnt let enough drain out before refilling? The oil was definitely clean when i drained the overfill last night (nearly 1.5 quarts overfilled lol) & the service writer gave me back the remaining unused oil with the correct amount left as if they used all 9.1 quarts called for from the amount i supplied them so i dont really know what happened.

The last time I had them do the change they used the same amount & it was the proper level. but after getting curious & digging into the capacity requirements for the rcf/gsf models I noticed others referencing overfills from dealers too so it got me wondering a bit if this is a semi-common issue with dealer OC's for 2ur-gse models?
Old 07-23-24, 09:28 AM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by all9
Yeah my only logical thought is that maybe they didnt let enough drain out before refilling?
This is probably what happened. If they were in a hurry and had multiple cars in flight they probably didn't let it drain very long. A lot of oil can sit around in the pan for a while, and it'll take a bit longer to get the last quart or so out since they're just putting cars up on a lift with nothing to tilt the car toward the drain. You'd actually get more oil out more quickly with the car jacked up from the front or on ramps since the drain points toward the back of the car. I DIY mine on ramps and probably let it drain a good 25-30m and 9.1qt always gets it right to the top mark on the dipstick.
The following users liked this post:
HydrantHunter (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 09:44 AM
all9
Rookie

Originally Posted by wfibear
This is probably what happened. If they were in a hurry and had multiple cars in flight they probably didn't let it drain very long. A lot of oil can sit around in the pan for a while, and it'll take a bit longer to get the last quart or so out since they're just putting cars up on a lift with nothing to tilt the car toward the drain. You'd actually get more oil out more quickly with the car jacked up from the front or on ramps since the drain points toward the back of the car. I DIY mine on ramps and probably let it drain a good 25-30m and 9.1qt always gets it right to the top mark on the dipstick.
that's reassuring to hear... thanks for the confirmation!
Old 07-23-24, 10:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by all9
that's reassuring to hear... thanks for the confirmation!
I was kinda wondering about this topic as well. At my first oil change, I got back the excess oil, but the second - nope. I also noticed the oil level is slightly above the top mark on the dipstick, no matter when I check it. Not by much. But I don't think they simply dumped the whole 10 quarts in.
Old 07-23-24, 11:31 AM
mg1972
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have done 2 oil changes for my relatively new IS500: one at 1200 miles and one at 2500 miles. Both times I let it sit a while draining and refilled 9.1 quarts first time and it seemed to be just a smidge over full mark. Second time I put in 9 quarts, and it was right at the full mark (if not still a smidge over.. but a little less of a smidge.... smidge is a technical term in this context ).

I was very cautious on my first oil change b/c I had a 2021 Camaro SS and that LT1 V8 is the craziest thing for oil level checking... I learned the hard way that do not fill it up with 10 quarts that it spec'd for.. Put in 9, drive it, and wait for the next morning to check it.. it takes that long for the oil to drain back in the pan fully..... So this was my next V8 car and I was cautious on fill amount to say the least. FYI: I rechecked the IS500 next morning too and it stayed the same as waiting 15-30mins after driving to check

Of course with the Camaro I learned that some dealers would change oil on the Camaro and only fill 9 quarts, and give the customer 1 quart to use to check the next day... Again, thankfully the IS500 doesn't need that extra checking, etc. from my experience

Oh and FYI: I jack my car up in the front, which probably helps the oil drain out faster..... not sure if that makes a difference or not, but FYI

Last edited by mg1972; 07-23-24 at 11:40 AM.
HighRevs (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 01:26 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts

Did my 1st change myself, drained it for 25min.

I measured out 9.1qt and put it back in. After running the engine briefly and returning to level ground, the dipstick was bang on and I didn't even need to adjust anything.

I suspect the dealer was in a rush. Another possibility I hesitate to mention is that quite a bit of oil is retained in the filter housing - if you don't change the filter, you will leave a lot of oil in the system.
wfibear (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 01:28 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

These cars are almost always overfilled. Don't worry, an extra quart won't do any damage.
Old 07-23-24, 03:51 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,330 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
These cars are almost always overfilled. Don't worry, an extra quart won't do any damage.
Do you have any evidence or that or just guessing?

Too much oil will cause the crank to hit the oil in the pan and turn the oil bubbly/foamy which causes a few issues for the engine. It's definitely a problem. I'm not going to risk my engine finding out at what overfill point this happens. Will you?
HighRevs (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 04:05 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Do you have any evidence or that or just guessing?

Too much oil will cause the crank to hit the oil in the pan and turn the oil bubbly/foamy which causes a few issues for the engine. It's definitely a problem. I'm not going to risk my engine finding out at what overfill point this happens. Will you?

It's definitely NOT a problem. You can see that frothing doesn't actually hit the cylinders unless it's significantly overfilled, like double the volume. An extra quart or half inch on the dipstick is nothing. Engines are built with margin, especially Toyota's.
Old 07-23-24, 04:26 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,330 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTbfvzNbxQ

It's definitely NOT a problem. You can see that frothing doesn't actually hit the cylinders unless it's significantly overfilled, like double the volume. An extra quart or half inch on the dipstick is nothing. Engines are built with margin, especially Toyota's.
With YouTube being the mecca of information I sure hope they acknowledge that their clickbait findings would change per vehicle with different oil capacities and oil pan shapes.

Again, will you test it with your vehicle for us?
HighRevs (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 05:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
With YouTube being the mecca of information I sure hope they acknowledge that their clickbait findings would change per vehicle with different oil capacities and oil pan shapes.

Again, will you test it with your vehicle for us?

This is a different take on the subject. As you can see, less oil means less resistance, which means more power - and the reverse is also true. Also, excess oil leads to aeration and decreased oil pressure. So, it's definitely still a problem. I think we all can agree the best amount of oil to have in the engine is the recommended amount.
The following 4 users liked this post by arentz07:
95bat (07-23-24), HighRevs (07-23-24), HydrantHunter (07-23-24), wfibear (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 07:29 PM
mg1972
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I can tell you from experience that Camaro LT1 V8 engine had some major issue with it 1.5 quarts over full. The oil foamed up aerated and went through the PCV system to the pistons. There was some major oil/carbon build up in the chambers. I know this b/c once I found out I overfilled the engine I put a camera down the spark plug holes. There was so much carbon buildup on the pistons/chambers that there was carbon tick when the piston was at top dead center. The carbon on the piston was hitting the bottom of the cylinder head.

So, with that engine I can tell you over filling it 1.5 quarts is really not good. All that oil creating carbon in the chambers, washing the cylinder walls, and going to the catalytic converters is not good. I was lucky I didn't cause some major damage.

FYI: I got rid of the carbon by doing the ole Italian tune up down the interstate for 4 hrs (not consecutive hours). I put a double dose of Techron(anything that contains PEA would work) in it and kept it at 4k rpm to redline every once in a while... Put the camera back down the sparkplug holes and the pistons were clean again... I know that wasn't great for the cats, but had to get it running right again.

Anyway, that's my experience with over filling the oil. You don't want to do it.. I'm not exactly familiar with how much the 2UR would tolerate, but anything over half a quart would concern me.. not that I want to even do that.

P.S. I did do hours of searching on the internet (b/c everything on the internet is true ), but the most common answer I found in general was that most engines are fine up to about 1 quart over. I personally am conservative and don't even want to get that close. Of course there are some people who overfill on purpose when tracking certain cars/engines so the engines don't have oil pump starvation issues around hard turns. I don't think the 2UR has that issue, but someone can correct me if that is not the case.

Last edited by mg1972; 07-23-24 at 08:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mg1972:
arentz07 (07-23-24), HighRevs (07-23-24), mastershibe (07-23-24), Oloung1 (07-24-24)
Old 07-25-24, 12:47 PM
eyelevel
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Was there anything specific you guys did for tracking down a magnetic plug? Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: IS500 oil capacity concerns?