IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Thinking about buying PPE Headers looking for some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-24, 01:55 AM
InfaredLexus
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about buying PPE Headers looking for some help.

As the title says I’m considering getting headers on the car, I see RR racing has tuned PPE headers and I was considering going with those, my question is what’s the difference in equal/unequal length headers? Also I know the engine is very very reliable no doubt in that but will headers decrease reliability? I’ve only got 8k on the odometer but I really want to bring this car to life, I really enjoy the car and I have no intentions on selling it that’s why I’m curious about the reliability costs if there are any.
Old 08-16-24, 04:14 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 477 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by InfaredLexus
As the title says I’m considering getting headers on the car, I see RR racing has tuned PPE headers and I was considering going with those, my question is what’s the difference in equal/unequal length headers? Also I know the engine is very very reliable no doubt in that but will headers decrease reliability? I’ve only got 8k on the odometer but I really want to bring this car to life, I really enjoy the car and I have no intentions on selling it that’s why I’m curious about the reliability costs if there are any.
This does a pretty good job at explaing el vs uel headers

Do you already have an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 08-16-24, 09:49 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 699 Likes on 613 Posts

We are a PPE dealer, we can help you with the headers.

EL vs UEL is the design of the headers, EL produces a higher pitch sound and more power on the top end, also more expensive.
Also have the choice of adding catted UEL headers if you don't want to deal with gas smell or better chances of no CEL / passing emissions.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
Oloung1 (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24, 12:03 PM
InfaredLexus
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
This does a pretty good job at explaing el vs uel headers

https://youtu.be/UDUtidJ2MDw?si=N-tZXFgJ02SfOoEA

Do you already have an aftermarket exhaust?
I don’t have an aftermarket exhaust just yet, I was going to order the apexi resonated mid pipe to pair with the headers or do yall think I resonated would perform better, the only reason I’m not getting a gthaus is because my neighbors lol I don’t want to be the loud cold start neighbor and also I really like how the car currently sounds stock I just wish it was a bit louder
Old 08-16-24, 12:05 PM
InfaredLexus
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
We are a PPE dealer, we can help you with the headers.

EL vs UEL is the design of the headers, EL produces a higher pitch sound and more power on the top end, also more expensive.
Also have the choice of adding catted UEL headers if you don't want to deal with gas smell or better chances of no CEL / passing emissions.

-Josh
okay cool I’ll probably go the EL route then they seem to be the best option, do headers cause any reliability issues though as I said I really love this car and don’t want to risk any reliability issues but I also want to bring this v8 to life so I’m a little torn on what to do
Old 08-16-24, 12:59 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 477 Likes on 239 Posts

I don’t have an aftermarket exhaust just yet, I was going to order the apexi resonated mid pipe to pair with the headers or do yall think I resonated would perform better, the only reason I’m not getting a gthaus is because my neighbors lol I don’t want to be the loud cold start neighbor and also I really like how the car currently sounds stock I just wish it was a bit louder
okay cool I’ll probably go the EL route then they seem to be the best option, do headers cause any reliability issues though as I said I really love this car and don’t want to risk any reliability issues but I also want to bring this v8 to life so I’m a little torn on what to do
i would suggest going full exhaust before committing to headers. @Meraki Autoworks can hook you up with that.

If one of the things your worried about is reliability, not that headers will make the car unreliable, it's not a very easily removable part if you have any issues. You've got the labor intensive install and potentially removing the primary cats, to my knowledge I don't think anyone has installed headers in the 500 as a diy project. If you go the exhaust route, install takes an hour or two if you have a lift and are experienced in the garage and won't (shouldnt) throw any check engine codes.

Also if you're worried about waking the neighbors, headers are def not the way to go. Although not sure how it sound paired with the stock mids and mufflers. Idk just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by SlowlaneAZ:
DLPTony (08-17-24), InfaredLexus (08-17-24)
Old 08-16-24, 01:06 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

We're an apexi dealer so we can get you taken care of there. We have the EL headers in stock too.

I would get resonated with headers.

PPE headers won't mess with the reliability but what slowlaneAZ said sums it up.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
The following 2 users liked this post by Meraki Autoworks:
InfaredLexus (08-17-24), snowyblue (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24, 01:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I had an ISF for ten years. During my ownership, I had PPE headers installed, both UEL and EL. As far as a power difference, both produce a nice increase. But, where the EL shines is in a vastly superior experience with regards to drone. The UEL headers have a pronounced drone at approximately 2K RPM, starting at about 1.8K and continuing to 2.4K as I recall. The drone is far less with the EL. I have PPE EL headers on my LC and notice no drone. As far as reliability, The stock exhaust manifolds on the ISF were prone to cracking, so I can imagine this might be a problem in the future for the IS500.

Lou
The following 3 users liked this post by flowrider:
DLPTony (08-17-24), InfaredLexus (08-17-24), Oloung1 (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24, 01:47 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I had an ISF for ten years. During my ownership, I had PPE headers installed, both UEL and EL. As far as a power difference, both produce a nice increase. But, where the EL shines is in a vastly superior experience with regards to drone. The UEL headers have a pronounced drone at approximately 2K RPM, starting at about 1.8K and continuing to 2.4K as I recall. The drone is far less with the EL. I have PPE EL headers on my LC and notice no drone. As far as reliability, The stock exhaust manifolds on the ISF were prone to cracking, so I can imagine this might be a problem in the future for the IS500.

Lou
Good feedback; I have the exact same issue with just a muffler delete so I'll be sure to spring for the EL.

Does the cracking issue only affect ISF? I don't remember reading about RCFs doing that. Was there a remedy for it at some point?
InfaredLexus (08-17-24)
Old 08-17-24, 06:43 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 366 Likes on 168 Posts

There is a thread here in the IS 500 threads where someone purchased the first PPE headers for the IS 500. They were equal length and included the cats built in. It really looked nice. If I can find it, and I have been looking for it, I will post a link.
InfaredLexus (08-18-24)
Old 08-17-24, 06:53 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 366 Likes on 168 Posts

While I look for it. Here is a pic. RR Racing may have this exclusively from PPE. I do not know. It is on their website for purchase. I'll keep looking for the thread. I am thinking it is part of the long "IS 500 exhaust thread." I am not sure. I am considering these, but will definitely get them ceramic coated.

The following 2 users liked this post by MYIS500:
HighRevs (08-21-24), InfaredLexus (08-18-24)
Old 08-17-24, 10:57 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

They are not exclusive to them, we have sold these made by PPE.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
InfaredLexus (08-18-24)
Old 08-18-24, 12:34 AM
InfaredLexus
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
They are not exclusive to them, we have sold these made by PPE.

-Josh
when getting headers do I need the engine mounts and a new manifold gasket or no? Also should I do ceramic coat and header wrap or just one or the other?

Last edited by InfaredLexus; 08-18-24 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-18-24, 09:31 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

None of those are needed.
I've heard some people complain about replacing the OEM engine mounts because they'll experience a lot more vibrations. Maybe if your OEM ones were shot I'd replace it, but not on a 2023/2024 car.

Manifold gaskets I would get just because its nice to have in case your OEM one brakes.

Just do one or the other, I'd do coating, wrapping the header wrap is a pain haha.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 08-18-24, 09:50 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 762 Likes on 273 Posts

One trick to cold start ups being loud is to quickly put the car into drive or reverse. That drops the engine RPM, and noise level, by about half.

I believe main reason modern cars have high RPMs on cold starts is in order to quickly warm up the catalytic converters so that emission testing outcomes are improved. If that’s true then not letting it idle at higher RPMs shouldn’t hurt anything, but to be safe I only use this workaround when my kids are sleeping (their bedrooms have a common wall with our garage).

Luckily my setup (Apexi resonated midpipe + Invidia Q300) isn’t loud enough to bother my neighbors, or so they me. 5 out of 6 immediate neighbors are attorneys … life would be tough if it was too loud.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying PPE Headers looking for some help.