IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 04:26 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This will be significantly cheaper than the GSF though. If it's about $60k, I don't see why it won't sell. None of the F cars are spec kings...people buy them for the experience and the reliability. People just get Teslas if you want to smoke everything.
My point is the GSF took a bunch a heat in reviews for its weight but compared to the IS500 it’s actually more impressive than the IS500.

Judging by the production numbers of the ISF, GSF, and RCF the IS500 isn’t going to sell. The ISF was about $60k too.
Old 02-25-21, 04:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
My point is the GSF took a bunch a heat in reviews for its weight but compared to the IS500 it’s actually more impressive than the IS500.

Judging by the production numbers of the ISF, GSF, and RCF the IS500 isn’t going to sell. The ISF was about $60k too.
The knock wasn't on the weight. It was lighter than their competitors and it was acknowledged that Lexus did an impressive job in the chassis. The knock was on power especially compared to its main competitor, the M5.

The ISF at $60k in 2010 is much more expensive than the Is500 in 2021. The M340 sells very well at $60k so let's hope the Is500 does the same. If they price it higher than the bmw, it's DOA.
Old 02-26-21, 07:08 AM
wtwo3
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The knock wasn't on the weight. It was lighter than their competitors and it was acknowledged that Lexus did an impressive job in the chassis. The knock was on power especially compared to its main competitor, the M5.

The ISF at $60k in 2010 is much more expensive than the Is500 in 2021. The M340 sells very well at $60k so let's hope the Is500 does the same. If they price it higher than the bmw, it's DOA.

Well that was the mistake Lexus made, and why they're so adamant on calling this an "IS500" rather than an ISF - They don't want people comparing it to the M3/C63. In reality the GS-F was more in line with a 550i/E43 (in both performance and price), but because Lexus never bothered to correct anyone on that, EVERYONE decided it should be compared to the M5/E63, and there just was no comparison there regardless of how much more engaging the GS-F was to drive.

Speaking of weight..... I don't think ANYONE should be complaining after seeing this:
https://www.motor1.com/news/490844/m...3-specs-rumor/

4,400 lbs!!
Old 02-26-21, 07:12 AM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
I’m blaming the chassis. The paper stats say the IS500 does 0-60 in 4.5 and gets 24 mpg. My “fat” GSF does that with more room and more materials - with an actual F-badge.

This car is going to get a lot of love but no one is going to buy it.
Lexus has said it's a limited run anyway haven't they? I don't think Lexus is under any illusions as to the popularity of this car. Those of us who want a NA V8 in a small'ish sedan will jump all over it but that is definitely a niche crowd and not the mainstream. And to the size "problem" it's nearly 150 pounds lighter than the GS F with a wheelbase that's about 2.5 inches shorter and an overall length that is ~7 inches shorter. Those are small but noticeable improvements to me and that's before we even mention the fact that this car will have better and easier to use tech with Carplay and Android Auto, all of which are fairly important to me.

I'm not knocking the GS F so please don't misunderstand. I've thought about finding one for myself several times but the two things that have held me back are the infotainment and the fact that its a slightly larger car than is my preference. The IS 500 manages to improve on both of those so for me it's a clear win.
Old 02-26-21, 07:55 AM
exlr8in
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Why can't I find the "F" pyramid that include the following, I once saw it to prove a point to a friend but for the life of me I can't find it any more. it include this "specifically":

LF-A
F (IS, GS, RC)
F Sport

you will be able to find resemblance of that but not what I remember seeing. basically just want to prove the point that the new IS 500 is not on the same class as of the real "F"... What a shame, why did Lexus believe that they needed to get something out the door super fast with a v8? why not do it the right way as they alway have, who is in charge now at Lexus (what are they thinking I mean the launch of the 2020 IS line was silly - remember YouTube comments)?

I do hope this is just a tease and that Lexus comes out with the "real" F right behind this one soon.

Also, is the IS 500 F Sport measurement the exact same as the other IS 200\350 line? Did they just put a different hood and called it a day?
I mean that would make sense in order to make money, right? no production line changes other that the v8 and a hood to fit.

lmao

Last edited by exlr8in; 02-26-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 08:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I can't understand why people aren't happy with what they've done. A real F car has to compete with the Germans / Tesla head to head and nothing in Lexus powertrain stable can produce low 3s 0-60 and 11s quarter mile times at all. Not even remotely close. Why not enjoy this "mid-tier" offering with reasonable prices (hopefully) to give enthusiasts a way to stick to the brand. I think this is a great option for such a great looking car and we should celebrate it enthusiastically if they price this to compete with other mid-tier offerings such as the M340 ($60k).
The following 3 users liked this post by EZZ:
flipside909 (02-26-21), Racer00J (02-26-21), V8ISGreat (02-15-22)
Old 02-26-21, 08:51 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by exlr8in
Why can't I find the "F" pyramid that include the following, I once saw it to prove a point to a friend but for the life of me I can't find it any more. it include this "specifically":

LF-A
F (IS, GS, RC)
F Sport

you will be able to find resemblance of that but not what I remember seeing. basically just want to prove the point that the new IS 500 is not on the same class as of the real "F"... What a shame, why did Lexus believe that they needed to get something out the door super fast with a v8? why not do it the right way as they alway have, who is in charge now at Lexus (what are they thinking I mean the launch of the 2020 IS line was silly - remember YouTube comments)?

I do hope this is just a tease and that Lexus comes out with the "real" F right behind this one soon.

Also, is the IS 500 F Sport measurement the exact same as the other IS 200\350 line? Did they just put a different hood and called it a day?
I mean that would make sense in order to make money, right? no production line changes other that the v8 and a hood to fit.

lmao

(Newer one

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-26-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 09:16 AM
ViktorG
Driver

Received 190 Likes on 42 Posts

Can't wait! This will be a beast!
Old 02-26-21, 09:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

LF-A
F (IS, GS, RC)
F Sport

lmao
According to Lexus Enthusiast's interview with Lexus, this is the updated pyramid :

LF-A
F (IS,GS,RC)
F Performance (IS500)
F Sport

Link : https://lexusenthusiast.com/2021/02/...0-called-is-f/
Old 02-26-21, 09:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't recall when YouTube comments actually equated to car sales. Most of the commentary are coming from people with no intention of buying the car new.

Anything is possible for the future. Don't hold your breathe on a full fledged IS F anytime soon. This IS 500 F SPORT Performance is it for the near future.

lmao
It's no different than the IS 250/350 to the IS F. The chassis is exactly the same aside from some structural reinforcements to the chassis and adjusted sheetmetal and fascias. If you've been around Toyota/Lexus long, it's called "Kaizen" or continuous improvement. Your point?

I'm pretty confident it will sell well. The people that seem to be upset about it are current IS F owners, most of them who didn't buy it new.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-26-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 04:07 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can't understand why people aren't happy with what they've done. A real F car has to compete with the Germans / Tesla head to head and nothing in Lexus powertrain stable can produce low 3s 0-60 and 11s quarter mile times at all. Not even remotely close. Why not enjoy this "mid-tier" offering with reasonable prices (hopefully) to give enthusiasts a way to stick to the brand. I think this is a great option for such a great looking car and we should celebrate it enthusiastically if they price this to compete with other mid-tier offerings such as the M340 ($60k).
When considering what the Lexus rep said above, about this being between the F Sport and the F, there will always be Debbie Downers but I cannot see any reason why. Without all the glitzy gee-gaws it'll cost less than a comparable F model, they dropped in the V8 so many of us have been pining for, and the two seconds 0:10 to 0:12 of the Lexus video are like getting chills whilst being ensconced in warm velvet.

The following 3 users liked this post by AtomicAWD:
EZZ (02-26-21), flipside909 (02-27-21), natnut (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 10:24 PM
kittens
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

man if this was AWD it would be my next car. I only have one parking spot now and can't have two cars
Old 02-27-21, 08:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by kittens
man if this was AWD it would be my next car. I only have one parking spot now and can't have two cars
There are no plans for an AWD version for the IS 500 F SPORT Performance.
Old 02-27-21, 11:32 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are no plans for an AWD version for the IS 500 F SPORT Performance.
That's the sad part for us with harsh winters
Old 02-27-21, 11:43 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
That's the sad part for us with harsh winters
Agreed. I think I'd rather pay off my current IS300 and then buy a used RCF as a second vehicle in a few years, which is what I'm thinking of doing. Having a RWD as my lone vehicle is a no go for me.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance