IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 08:30 AM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
^^^

Thank goodness I’m not the only one with withdrawals. I watched every vid available on the 10th and the one I saw yesterday, the person knew absolutely nothing.
Was there a new yesterday I missed? I'm having withdrawals as well!
Old 09-21-21, 08:36 AM
porusski
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your thoughts on the performance of the paddles? That is my main worry. I really want them to be fast, it’s one of the reasons I’m leaving the manual transmission world after daily driving one for nearly 6 years.
Old 09-21-21, 09:05 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

When do y'all think the less sought after colors (red, blue) will come out?
Assuming the Launch Edition comes out first in the fall along with white, grey, black, etc. I would guess maybe In January or February.
Old 09-21-21, 09:07 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by porusski
What are your thoughts on the performance of the paddles? That is my main worry. I really want them to be fast, it’s one of the reasons I’m leaving the manual transmission world after daily driving one for nearly 6 years.
it seems that most reviewers gripe about the lack of responsiveness with the paddles. my previous IS F, I thought the paddles and gearbox were just fine. I actually preferred using the gear lever over the paddles. when I went from the IS F to the PDK in the Macan, yes, the PDK was quicker and more precise but it wasn't significantly better/faster than my IS F. ultimately, you'll have to test drive the IS 500 to make that determination for yourself.
Old 09-21-21, 09:22 AM
porusski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cremaster
it seems that most reviewers gripe about the lack of responsiveness with the paddles. my previous IS F, I thought the paddles and gearbox were just fine. I actually preferred using the gear lever over the paddles. when I went from the IS F to the PDK in the Macan, yes, the PDK was quicker and more precise but it wasn't significantly better/faster than my IS F. ultimately, you'll have to test drive the IS 500 to make that determination for yourself.
Exactly, I’m waiting on the test drive. I drove the M340i last weekend and enjoyed the performance of the paddles. Was actually impressed with the lack of turbo lag (one of the main reasons I want a V8), so it’s a tad tempting. But I don’t want that depreciation and possible unreliability.
Old 09-21-21, 09:23 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina50
Was there a new yesterday I missed? I'm having withdrawals as well!
It was released a week ago. I personally didn’t like it at all.

The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 10:29 AM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

From the multiple videos I have watched, it appears paddle shifters are slow in Normal drive mode but sufficiently quick in Sport S/S+. That's a bit of a bummer for me because I probably will drive mostly in normal mode and may occasionally want to use the paddle shifters for a quick downshift. I also wish (I am not sure if there are any cars that do this), that once you downshift by paddle, the car would switch to Sport mode for at least some time.
wthrman2 (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 10:36 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
From the multiple videos I have watched, it appears paddle shifters are slow in Normal drive mode but sufficiently quick in Sport S/S+.
- Was going to say the same
- DLP Tony, yeah, saw that video already and I agree, it was totally a let down
DLPTony (09-21-21)
Old 09-21-21, 10:37 AM
Kandyman1
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Exactly, I’m waiting on the test drive. I drove the M340i last weekend and enjoyed the performance of the paddles. Was actually impressed with the lack of turbo lag (one of the main reasons I want a V8), so it’s a tad tempting. But I don’t want that depreciation and possible unreliability.
I am waiting until the IS500 starts hitting dealerships before I test drive the M340. I want the memories to be fresh when I compare them. You are right about depreciation of the M340 compared to the IS500, but I am not so concerned about the reliability of the B58 engine. The rest of BMW electronics though - that's a different story .
Old 09-21-21, 10:41 AM
porusski
Driver School Candidate

I am waiting until the IS500 starts hitting dealerships before I test drive the M340. I want the memories to be fresh when I compare them. You are right about depreciation of the M340 compared to the IS500, but I am not so concerned about the reliability of the B58 engine. The rest of BMW electronics though - that's a different story .
Yep, exactly why I mean possible reliability issues haha. In a way the M340i didn’t make sense, there was one for $63k and another for $67k. Might as well pay a few thousand more and get the M3 in my opinion. But I haven’t sat or drove one of them yet.
Old 09-21-21, 12:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

From the multiple videos I have watched, it appears paddle shifters are slow in Normal drive mode but sufficiently quick in Sport S/S+. That's a bit of a bummer for me because I probably will drive mostly in normal mode and may occasionally want to use the paddle shifters for a quick downshift. I also wish (I am not sure if there are any cars that do this), that once you downshift by paddle, the car would switch to Sport mode for at least some time.
That is a shame. It's odd because on my IS 350 the drive mode does not seem to impact the paddle shift response. If anything, it's best when in manual mode (for obvious reasons) and when I am actually accelerating aggressively. In the case of downshifting, it will rev-match better when I am actually braking and when above 3000 RPM or so.

When I drove the RC F, unfortunately I just left it in Sport/Sport+ and in auto for most of my drive. I did play with the paddles but don't remember being particularly impressed nor disappointed by the response. It's no ZF 8-speed or Porsche PDK, but I do think it'll be an upgrade for a 350 owner.
Old 09-21-21, 02:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Yep, exactly why I mean possible reliability issues haha. In a way the M340i didn’t make sense, there was one for $63k and another for $67k. Might as well pay a few thousand more and get the M3 in my opinion. But I haven’t sat or drove one of them yet.
Same for me, dont want to deal with reliability problems and the cost of repairs out of warranty.

I sat in an M340i and it felt tiny, even smaller than the IS. The 5 series felt small too, for sure smaller than my ES. If I got a BMW I'd have to get a 5 series minimum. The M550i would be a freaking awesome car if I knew I didn't have to get rid of it before the warranty was up and it depreciated into a civic.

I'm still kind of on the fence about a CT5-V Blackwing too. Local dealer is getting one that isn't sold yet, but the color combo is weird. Plus, if I move out of CA like I want to then I cant keep a $95k car anymore.
Old 09-21-21, 02:33 PM
porusski
Driver School Candidate

Seems like a majority of us are here in CA. Our car will probably be very rare in all other states.
Old 09-21-21, 05:26 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

The IS500 probably has to worry about that 3IS inner tire wear as well huh?
Old 09-21-21, 05:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Same for me, dont want to deal with reliability problems and the cost of repairs out of warranty.

I sat in an M340i and it felt tiny, even smaller than the IS. The 5 series felt small too, for sure smaller than my ES. If I got a BMW I'd have to get a 5 series minimum. The M550i would be a freaking awesome car if I knew I didn't have to get rid of it before the warranty was up and it depreciated into a civic.

I'm still kind of on the fence about a CT5-V Blackwing too. Local dealer is getting one that isn't sold yet, but the color combo is weird. Plus, if I move out of CA like I want to then I cant keep a $95k car anymore.
The M340 is gigantic compared to the IS350. My friend has one and the IS is noticeably smaller. BMW really has good interior packaging.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance