IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 01:46 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I guess it was my turn. I asked my dealer for an update. She said they know nothing. I said not even the information in the press releases?? She got back to me and said she asked a coworker and they said $75-80k. I said “no way, that’s so far off, the base is $56,500” and linked her to the press release. I told her I hope her coworker is guessing and has no clue because I’m not going to pay any markup.

I’m astounded by how stupid these dealerships/salespeople are. Do they not even read their own press releases? Why do we know more than they do? They don’t deserve to have a job there....goodness gracious.
The following 3 users liked this post by macmaster:
Compromise (09-25-21), DLPTony (09-24-21), natnut (09-25-21)
Old 09-24-21, 01:54 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,958 Likes on 1,825 Posts

^^^ My experience thus far. My initial reaction is to get super annoyed, but as long as the shenanigans are kept in check at signing, I’ll deal with the know-nothing-ness.
Old 09-24-21, 03:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by macmaster
Not just that. That was the same 000/500 Launch edition that's been in every promo and review under the sun.
@macmaster
The entire press caravan of IS 500 cars reviewed all have the same mechanical parts and finish as the 000 LE car.

You hate to see it, but in my experience this is not going to change before production.

Joe Z

Old 09-24-21, 03:37 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess it was my turn. I asked my dealer for an update. She said they know nothing. I said not even the information in the press releases?? She got back to me and said she asked a coworker and they said $75-80k. I said “no way, that’s so far off, the base is $56,500” and linked her to the press release. I told her I hope her coworker is guessing and has no clue because I’m not going to pay any markup.

I’m astounded by how stupid these dealerships/salespeople are. Do they not even read their own press releases? Why do we know more than they do? They don’t deserve to have a job there....goodness gracious.
i left out some info, so i switched my car to the premium model with ultra sonic blue. It maybe that they dont want my buisness anymore because they dont know when that particular car is coming out. They probably know they were getting a LE model. I still find it strange for them to lie because they have nothing to loose with holding my deposit and the guy sounded sincere. My guess is their lexus rep or whoever talks to him/her is incompetent. It makes no sense to me. Oh well, i got another deposit with a dealer. Unfortunately, this guy is a complete buffoon. I cant even understand him on the phone because he has such an intense southern drawl. He doesnt know a single thing about the car and neither does anyone else at the dealership. Im the one constantly giving him updates.
Old 09-24-21, 03:47 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexussingh
i left out some info, so i switched my car to the premium model with ultra sonic blue. It maybe that they dont want my buisness anymore because they dont know when that particular car is coming out. They probably know they were getting a LE model. I still find it strange for them to lie because they have nothing to loose with holding my deposit and the guy sounded sincere. My guess is their lexus rep or whoever talks to him/her is incompetent. It makes no sense to me. Oh well, i got another deposit with a dealer. Unfortunately, this guy is a complete buffoon. I cant even understand him on the phone because he has such an intense southern drawl. He doesnt know a single thing about the car and neither does anyone else at the dealership. Im the one constantly giving him updates.
This exactly. I guess it's just a job to them. We're the enthusiasts. Whatever, it's just a car. I hope I never encounter doctors who are like this.
Old 09-24-21, 05:04 PM
MaskedMoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got off the phone with a salesman from another nearby dealership. Initially a few days ago he said they'd take a security deposit, but he's since backtracked similarly to the 1st dealership I contacted.

He sincerely sounded like he had no idea what's going on; apparently Lexus corporate is keeping them almost entirely in the dark, with vague mentions of delays and backtracking all previous statements they made regarding allocation for both LE and non-LE. He was pretty apologetic about it, everything seems to be a complete ****show at the moment
Old 09-24-21, 05:07 PM
porusski
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This exactly. I guess it's just a job to them. We're the enthusiasts. Whatever, it's just a car. I hope I never encounter doctors who are like this.
Spoiler alert, they are. They can get very political.
Old 09-24-21, 06:00 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kittens
Who cares about self driving or EV in a thread about a V8?
no ****. This is all about gas guzzling buddy...
The following users liked this post:
lisaj14 (09-25-21)
Old 09-24-21, 06:21 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

They probably meant that when they get their launch edition car or two. That they would probably list them for $75-80 thousand . I think most dealers will get the premium package. That should be mid 60's.
Joe Z (09-25-21)
Old 09-24-21, 06:47 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
They probably meant that when they get their launch edition car or two. That they would probably list them for $75-80 thousand . I think most dealers will get the premium package. That should be mid 60's.
I did make it very clear that i would not pay above MSRP. I even had him confirm it through email. Looks like they got greedy and figured they could sell the cars for more. Bold strategy cotton, lets see how it plays out. Bo worries i can play the waiting game.
Old 09-24-21, 06:53 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I did make it very clear that i would not pay above MSRP. I even had him confirm it through email. Looks like they got greedy and figured they could sell the cars for more. Bold strategy cotton, lets see how it plays out. Bo worries i can play the waiting game.
same. At the end of the day, it’s just a car. If I don’t get it I save a lot of $. It’s not like it’s a perfect car either. People are saying transmission is slow and the steering is loose. So yeah, it’s not worth the markups.

Last edited by macmaster; 09-24-21 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
DLPTony (09-24-21), Shoeboy4 (09-24-21)
Old 09-25-21, 12:01 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I wish Lexus was like Amazon where they have to honor whatever mistake they have on the price. Gahhhh

Old 09-25-21, 12:15 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

most actually don’t read press release and don’t learn until the car is almost out, then training will be deployed. Still somehow those salespeople who don’t care or know very little about the F/performance models are the ones with the most sales making the most money (not a fan of that fact). Those are who I call typical old school salesman not car people.

Car sales is a now business, not tomorrow or whenever the is500 comes. most will secure a deposit and forget about you till the car actually comes. I’d let her be until the car actually arrives, you already know more then her about the car.
macmaster (09-25-21)
Old 09-25-21, 06:20 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

^^^^ It’s all about commissions, their paycheck.
Sell what’s on the lot, in inventory they can get in a day, pocket the money. Why read up on something they can’t make money on today? Waste of time.
Vitveet (09-27-21)
Old 09-25-21, 02:24 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

I remember reading an article online that said most dealers would rather not sell to or deal with enthusiasts. (speaking of your average car company, not exotics). selling to the average consumer is a quicker and easier sell, easier to upsell extras, etc. the enthusiast is going to picky, know more about the car than the sales person and will generally be more difficult to deal with, which makes sense. they would much rather sell an ES or RX to a soccer mom than to one of us looking for the IS 500.
The following 2 users liked this post by cremaster:
Compromise (09-25-21), Vitveet (09-26-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance