IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 03:33 PM
rangerryda
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really want to see what the used market will be in 5 years. They'll probably hold their value pretty well.
Old 02-28-21, 12:50 PM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I received a text from the Lexus sales person I have been working with and he said his latest information is that the IS 500 is arriving around September 3rd and that they are taking deposits. As far as he knew I would be first in line at this particular dealership. I replied with "when and how can I make my deposit?" and he said he would let me know tomorrow once he got some further details.

If that is the case and I can make a $1000 deposit (which I think is pretty typical in these cases) then I will probably go ahead and do it. My one burning question (which will have to be answered later) is will the IS 500 have fake sound pumped in like the RC-F and, if so, can it be turned off? Everything else about the IS 500 seems exactly like what I would enjoy longterm in a car but I'm definitely not interested in fake engine noise of any kind.
Old 02-28-21, 01:14 PM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

wish i had the free cash to order it
Old 02-28-21, 01:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by matmanx1
I received a text from the Lexus sales person I have been working with and he said his latest information is that the IS 500 is arriving around September 3rd and that they are taking deposits. As far as he knew I would be first in line at this particular dealership. I replied with "when and how can I make my deposit?" and he said he would let me know tomorrow once he got some further details.

If that is the case and I can make a $1000 deposit (which I think is pretty typical in these cases) then I will probably go ahead and do it. My one burning question (which will have to be answered later) is will the IS 500 have fake sound pumped in like the RC-F and, if so, can it be turned off? Everything else about the IS 500 seems exactly like what I would enjoy longterm in a car but I'm definitely not interested in fake engine noise of any kind.
All of the Lexus cars with pumped in audio can be turned off.
Old 02-28-21, 03:01 PM
rangerryda
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fake engine noise is so cheesy.
Old 02-28-21, 04:19 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Dealers are probably going to markup this car if not they will add useless accessories.
The following users liked this post:
NinjaNap (03-09-21)
Old 03-01-21, 08:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

ASC is a feature that can be defeated in the latest F SPORT models. The only one that can't be turned off is in the RC F (which I have and dislike).

Originally Posted by dojoman
Dealers are probably going to markup this car if not they will add useless accessories.
What dealership doesn't? Some will and some wont.

Old 03-01-21, 09:40 AM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Price will definitely be a determining factor for me. Mid 50's and I'm interested. With any kind of "market adjustment" though I would bail pretty quickly.
Old 03-01-21, 10:05 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Price will definitely be a determining factor for me. Mid 50's and I'm interested. With any kind of "market adjustment" though I would bail pretty quickly.
Same here I might consider for mid 50's but when it reaches north of 60k there are better cars to be had, especially coming from 3rd Gen IS there's not much different aside from engine and Carplay.
Old 03-01-21, 01:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed!! I made the same comment elsewhere online that someone like myself who's owned a 3IS, it won't be an easy sell. V8 alone isn't enough for me to ditch my M340i for this car since the interior is essentially worst than my 2106 except for the Navi. 3IS still lacks power folding mirrors and HUD things that I enjoy in my bimmer. 18 months in the BMW ownership and I have no regrets leaving Lexus. 200T was slow, plus i don't miss crappy brakes that were shot in one year. If only they had made the IS500 all those years we were begging for more power.

Anyhow, I will give it a test drive to see how it drives. Right now I am 100% satisfied with the M340I's performance. If this thing drives as good as my car and is cheaper I may consider it as a replacement next year summer provided it is under 60k. Over 60k, I will pass since my current car was a hair over 60K and I certainly wouldn't have a problem leasing another new M340i since so far I couldn't ask for a better car. Although, there's a good chance I might upgrade to the new M3.

Last edited by EXE46; 03-01-21 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 06:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by EXE46
Agreed!! I made the same comment elsewhere online that someone like myself who's owned a 3IS, it won't be an easy sell. V8 alone isn't enough for me to ditch my M340i for this car since the interior is essentially worst than my 2106 except for the Navi. 3IS still lacks power folding mirrors and HUD things that I enjoy in my bimmer. 18 months in the BMW ownership and I have no regrets leaving Lexus. 200T was slow, plus i don't miss crappy brakes that were shot in one year. If only they had made the IS500 all those years we were begging for more power.

Anyhow, I will give it a test drive to see how it drives. Right now I am 100% satisfied with the M340I's performance. If this thing drives as good as my car and is cheaper I may consider it as a replacement next year summer provided it is under 60k. Over 60k, I will pass since my current car was a hair over 60K and I certainly wouldn't have a problem leasing another new M340i since so far I couldn't ask for a better car. Although, there's a good chance I might upgrade to the new M3.
You're still under your BMW warranty, once you're outside of it, like most European cars. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance isn't for everyone, but it will be a lot more reliable than any of it's European counterparts, especially in the cost of ownership & repair category.
Old 03-02-21, 07:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
You're still under your BMW warranty, once you're outside of it, like most European cars. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance isn't for everyone, but it will be a lot more reliable than any of it's European counterparts, especially in the cost of ownership & repair category.
I have many friends with 3 series and the reliability has been decent. Simple cars like their 3 series have decent reliability and ownership costs. My IS350 I had for 60k miles wasn't exactly cheap. It ate brakes until I changed to Akebonos ceramics and tires would last 15k miles. I had it serviced every 7500 miles for oil changes and had the fluids done at recommended intervals. All in, its more expensive than most mainstream brands and I would imagine the IS500 would be a bit more expensive due to higher component costs.

Also, the 3 series is always leased because the rates are heavily subsidized. I bet the IS500 will more noticeably more expensive to lease than the M340 with the same MSRP.
Old 03-02-21, 07:44 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I would imagine the IS500 would be a bit more expensive due to higher component costs.
Agreed. I think many IS500 owners are going to be surprised at the costs of an IS500...like brakes. I was quoted by my dealer $1600 for front pads and rotors on my GSF. Immediately went aftermarket and independent. Can see the IS500 also being way more expensive than a typical f-sport.
Old 03-02-21, 08:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have many friends with 3 series and the reliability has been decent. Simple cars like their 3 series have decent reliability and ownership costs. My IS350 I had for 60k miles wasn't exactly cheap. It ate brakes until I changed to Akebonos ceramics and tires would last 15k miles. I had it serviced every 7500 miles for oil changes and had the fluids done at recommended intervals. All in, its more expensive than most mainstream brands and I would imagine the IS500 would be a bit more expensive due to higher component costs.
Okay so what have your friends actual cost of ownership and reliability experiences have been?

2020 IS 350 F SPORTvs 2020 BMW 330i (not even a 340i)

Depreciation $19,663 vs. $29,322

Also, the 3 series is always leased because the rates are heavily subsidized. I bet the IS500 will more noticeably more expensive to lease than the M340 with the same MSRP.
They are because with normal lease rates and incentives, no one will lease them. The German luxury cars are lease cars because they're only worth keeping during their warranty period. Heavy incentives and rebates at the front hurt resale value, which is why European cars take a huge hit in value after 5 years.

IS 350 F SPORT vs. BMW 330i

Repairs $937 vs $2,585
Total 5-Year Cost to Own: $56,201 vs. $64,556

These numbers are based on 2020 models from edmunds.com.
Old 03-02-21, 08:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
Agreed. I think many IS500 owners are going to be surprised at the costs of an IS500...like brakes. I was quoted by my dealer $1600 for front pads and rotors on my GSF. Immediately went aftermarket and independent. Can see the IS500 also being way more expensive than a typical f-sport.
Of course. You have Lexus/Brembo OEM Brake components. That's one of the key reasons why Brembo wasn't used on the IS 500 F SPORT Performance. Most people are going to go with an aftermarket rotor/pad setup later on. If you do your research ahead of time, it won't be a surprise. You gotta pay to play sometimes.

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance