IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21 | 11:57 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Ordered an LE back in April, and paid a deposit. I've been reading this thread every day to keep track of updates. I'm a bit disappointed that winter is almost here and still no car (I'm in Canada and plan to use the car year round) but c'est la vie. Now I'm hoping it gets delayed to spring so I'm not breaking the car in when it's -20 out.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of reviewers comment on how quiet the exhaust is. Looking forward to aftermarket options to give it a bit more of a bark.
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (10-16-21)
Old 10-16-21 | 12:06 PM
LH1
Instructor

Welcome to ClubLexus AmbyBomb! Just stay patient. It'll be worth it.

Wow daily driving an IS 500 in Alberta. You guys get real winter.

Old 10-16-21 | 12:09 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

We do, but luckily I work exclusively at home currently and likely won't have to go into work more than twice a week when/if the pandemic ends. I'm sure a set of good winter tires like Blizzaks would make the car just fine in winter.
Old 10-16-21 | 12:13 PM
LH1
Instructor

Since they actually started assembling the 500 on Friday, we should see the builder on Lexus' website pretty soon.

Maybe Jake at Lexus of Cool Springs will have an update for us next week.

Old 10-16-21 | 12:27 PM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LH1
Since they actually started assembling the 500 on Friday, we should see the builder on Lexus' website pretty soon.

Maybe Jake at Lexus of Cool Springs will have an update for us next week.
That production line was closed on Friday. Unless they changed it.
Old 10-16-21 | 12:33 PM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carolina50
That production line was closed on Friday. Unless they changed it.
Yes, you're right. The 15th was the last day of planned down time.

I guess normal production will resume at Tahara Monday the 18th.

Old 10-16-21 | 06:11 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by LH1
Yes, you're right. The 15th was the last day of planned down time.

I guess normal production will resume at Tahara Monday the 18th.
Bear in mind, Tahara Line 3 doesn’t JUST produce IS. They also produce NX, RC, and LS. So while the line may be operational, they may not be making IS
Old 10-16-21 | 06:18 PM
Kandyman1
Driver

Unhappy Markups will kill my desire for this car

This afternoon I went to a local Lexus dealer and met a friendly agent. A bit of a car guy himself and we just chatted about cars for close to 30 minutes. He told me he guessed they’d be getting the IS500 in Dec/Jan but he wasn’t sure. He said he knew they would put a markup the LE but he wasn’t expecting any markups on non-LE.
After leaving the dealership, I texted him asking if they have a list for the non LE, and said I was serious about it. He replied almost immediately saying he didn’t think so but will check. About an hour later, he called me to say that they do in fact have a list for the non LE and I would be #4 if I got on. He also said they were marking it up by $5k, it required a $5k deposit, and I would have to sign an agreement to buy it at that price (with the markup). I simply told him absolutely not!

Tomorrow, I’ll go check one or two other dealerships in the area. If they’re all asking for markups, sorry, but I’m out! I’ll just go buy an M340 and will just be as happy. Yes, I’d really like to have that smooth reliable V8 for multiple reasons. Lexus priced the car just right at MSRP (it’s even slightly more expensive than equal spec competition but that’s okay). Anything above that is a hard no for me.
Old 10-16-21 | 07:10 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
This afternoon I went to a local Lexus dealer and met a friendly agent. A bit of a car guy himself and we just chatted about cars for close to 30 minutes. He told me he guessed they’d be getting the IS500 in Dec/Jan but he wasn’t sure. He said he knew they would put a markup the LE but he wasn’t expecting any markups on non-LE.
After leaving the dealership, I texted him asking if they have a list for the non LE, and said I was serious about it. He replied almost immediately saying he didn’t think so but will check. About an hour later, he called me to say that they do in fact have a list for the non LE and I would be #4 if I got on. He also said they were marking it up by $5k, it required a $5k deposit, and I would have to sign an agreement to buy it at that price (with the markup). I simply told him absolutely not!

Tomorrow, I’ll go check one or two other dealerships in the area. If they’re all asking for markups, sorry, but I’m out! I’ll just go buy an M340 and will just be as happy. Yes, I’d really like to have that smooth reliable V8 for multiple reasons. Lexus priced the car just right at MSRP (it’s even slightly more expensive than equal spec competition but that’s okay). Anything above that is a hard no for me.
Totally agree. Even MSRP is painful for me as I’ve never bought a car at MSRP. The best I was able to secure with my deal was at MSRP and they would remove the $799 dealer fee.
Old 10-16-21 | 10:45 PM
kittens
Rookie

completely agree, I am looking at the M240 coupe (the new one) and can easily get at MSRP or even a few percent below. I would rather get the IS500 but markups will push this over my budget and I wouldn't pay one anyway.
Old 10-16-21 | 11:32 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kandyman1

People overpaying for cars now is adding to debt levels that increase as people continue to trade up.

Several months from now, I think we’re going to be seeing a tremendous amount of negative equity on auto loans. This negative equity will have to go somewhere — usually ending up on the next car.

Last edited by GaryJG; 10-16-21 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-17-21 | 06:43 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryJG
People overpaying for cars now is adding to debt levels that increase as people continue to trade up.

Several months from now, I think we’re going to be seeing a tremendous amount of negative equity on auto loans. This negative equity will have to go somewhere — usually ending up on the next car.
Yup! They will either roll that negative equity into the next car, keep the car longer to pay down the debt, or end up in a cheaper car the next time because they won't have built as much equity from the higher purchasing price.

I think the only one that makes sense is to keep the car longer to pay down the loan. Who wouldn't want to hold onto this car a little longer anyway?
Old 10-17-21 | 07:54 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by 95bat
Yup! They will either roll that negative equity into the next car, keep the car longer to pay down the debt, or end up in a cheaper car the next time because they won't have built as much equity from the higher purchasing price.

I think the only one that makes sense is to keep the car longer to pay down the loan. Who wouldn't want to hold onto this car a little longer anyway?
Well it’s also a problem, say, (hopefully it doesn’t happen) you get into an accident a year into owning the car and it’s a total loss. Depending on your down payment, how much you paid, and your term length, you could easily owe more than it’s worth.
wthrman2 (10-17-21)
Old 10-17-21 | 08:29 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ that in itself is a good reason that i would never pay above MSRP, that 10k premium would be negative equity the day you get into an accident. I know the risk is low but not worth it imo
Carolina50 (10-17-21)
Old 10-17-21 | 08:59 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ that in itself is a good reason that i would never pay above MSRP, that 10k premium would be negative equity the day you get into an accident. I know the risk is low but not worth it imo
Exactly, insurance will value the car using the MSRP as a starting point. Not $10k over MSRP as is now common on enthusiast cars

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance