IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 08:30 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Sad that this was the direction taken.. The writing was on the wall back in 2014.
There is no room for an IS F now with an IS 500 "F SPORT PERFORMANCE" coming out later this year.

Currently there is only one true "F" car left and if you ask me its future is likely coming to an end as well..

But yeah what do I know.. LoL

Joe Z
Yup think yup pretty muxh nailed it, no room for an ISF now. I like what they're doing with the "F-Sport Performance", but like everyone else only IF they keep the price down. I'm guessing just under $60k.

And then the price compares to BMW and MB models which do 0-60 in 4s. That's a main talking point for Performance cars, and for good reason. But there's so much more to a good sport/road car and I think the IS500 will win out or compete better in those other categories. It's not all about 0-60 times, and like many other Lexus models over the years it'll hang with those quicker cars after 45mph rolling start lol.
Old 03-15-21, 08:50 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
My buddy has an M2 Competition, that I've driven, and it's not a ton of interior space. I'm not sure how the RCF compares.
I found the M2 to be too much...too many buttons and options and features, etc. It was like trying to drive a German version of Knight Rider! lol!
He was like, press that button, press this button twice, press that button, and then press this button...ok, you're ready to drive now...lol!
Ummm...I just want to put it in 1st and go...I don't need both the warp drive and cloaking systems active...or the phasers.
What buttons were you pressing? I dove M2C in extended test drive it’s just like any other car not that complicated. If you think this car has too many buttons wait until you get inside Porsche.
Old 03-15-21, 09:01 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
What buttons were you pressing? I dove M2C in extended test drive it’s just like any other car not that complicated. If you think this car has too many buttons wait until you get inside Porsche.
I believe it was more so being the first time I drove it that he wanted to demonstrate the different features the vehicle had, the way it could sound, etc.
Sure I could have just put it in 1st and go.
I prefer to just drive cars as is...on the IS even if you have Sport+ it's just a dial turn without having to do the chicken dance...I prefer that over the six button attack on the BMW...probably wouldn't use either in either case.
If cars have so much potential after the secret button handshake, then why not just make the car like that as default...that's what you're paying for, isn't it?
It's like buying a Veyron and they give you the Valet key only...ummm, that's not what I'm paying for.

Old 03-15-21, 09:51 AM
psaav
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I believe it was more so being the first time I drove it that he wanted to demonstrate the different features the vehicle had, the way it could sound, etc.
Sure I could have just put it in 1st and go.
I prefer to just drive cars as is...on the IS even if you have Sport+ it's just a dial turn without having to do the chicken dance...I prefer that over the six button attack on the BMW...probably wouldn't use either in either case.
If cars have so much potential after the secret button handshake, then why not just make the car like that as default...that's what you're paying for, isn't it?
It's like buying a Veyron and they give you the Valet key only...ummm, that's not what I'm paying for.
Sport + is two turns of the **** in Lexus. BMW can be set for one push of the button for Sport +. Not complicated at all. I feel like your buddy doesn't know how to operate all the features of his new car yet.

Last edited by psaav; 03-15-21 at 09:53 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 03-15-21, 10:49 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I get what he's saying. There are a ton of button presses for a variety of functions and settings.

My buddies m235i I felt like that, still ask him about features I've read about which he didn't know he had (although hes not much of an enthusiast). My mother just got an x3 and it took me a LONG time to find, learn, and show her the customizable features many if which she personally needs to know nothing about.

Sure once you know the car you can get down to a "10 button press/turn/swipe/click per minute" speed but, it is a lot.

Not necessarily a bad thing, over engineering is all which everyone is guilty of in some respects.
The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 10:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by psaav
Sport + is two turns of the **** in Lexus. BMW can be set for one push of the button for Sport +. Not complicated at all. I feel like your buddy doesn't know how to operate all the features of his new car yet.
Yeah. The M2 is a pretty basic car. I think the garbage Lexus infotainment is harder to use than anything in the M2
Old 03-15-21, 11:12 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I get what he's saying. There are a ton of button presses for a variety of functions and settings.

My buddies m235i I felt like that, still ask him about features I've read about which he didn't know he had (although hes not much of an enthusiast). My mother just got an x3 and it took me a LONG time to find, learn, and show her the customizable features many if which she personally needs to know nothing about.

Sure once you know the car you can get down to a "10 button press/turn/swipe/click per minute" speed but, it is a lot.

Not necessarily a bad thing, over engineering is all which everyone is guilty of in some respects.
You got my point...thanks
Old 03-15-21, 07:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Yeah, I never expected an IS F after this. I mean, this is essentially an IS F anyway, same engine. How many IS models do people think they're gonna make? Lol
F, F SPORT Performance or whatever it may be, i'm happy Lexus is brining something out. Honestly, it's really an F car without the special badging, the BBS, Brembos, the seats and the fender vents. F or not, i'd still buy one.
Old 03-15-21, 07:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by EZZ
If you are 2-3 years constantly, leasing a BMW may be cheaper than owning a Lexus. With the crazy BMW lease incentives they typically provide, I find that an M340 costs about the same as an IS350 even though there is a sizeable difference in the price of the car. Of course, an M3 at $73k is a total unicorn and would have to be ordered.

Overall though, you are right in that if it approaches $70k for the IS500, its getting a little too steep. That M3 would completely annihilate the IS500 in performance metrics...its just plain FAST.
Any car sub 5 second 0-60 is plenty fast. How fast do you really have to be for a car most people will only drive on city streets?

I highly doubt the IS 500 F SPORT Performance will hit $70k.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. The M2 is a pretty basic car. I think the garbage Lexus infotainment is harder to use than anything in the M2
Also the Gen 11 Lexus infotainment is far from garbage. It's well improved now that the screen is back to a touchscreen. It's very easy to use once you get accustomed to the controls. Reviewers think it's trash because they only use it for one week or less and get into the next press car. I personally think i-drive is trash.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-15-21 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 07:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Any car sub 5 second 0-60 is plenty fast. How fast do you really have to be for a car most people will only drive on city streets?

I highly doubt the IS 500 F SPORT Performance will hit $70k.

Also the Gen 11 Lexus infotainment is far from garbage. It's well improved now that the screen is back to a touchscreen. I personally think i-drive is trash.
I haven't tried the touchscreen version so perhaps you are right. I disliked my 2014 IS350 infotainment as it was laggy and they kept taking away features. The overall infotainment was garbage compared to what i've used since. At least the new one has Carplay (just wish it was the wireless version) so that alone makes it vastly better. The remote touchpad is just weird to use.

Also, speed is a very subjective metric for many. Some are happy with sub 5s, while others feel sub 5s is slow so hard to say that anything under 5s is sufficient for all people. I've gotten used to sub 3.5s and want something faster next time around . The new M3 is definitely fast though and the IS500 just isn't in the same ballpark performance wise but it doesn't need to be for mid $60k. I would pick an IS500 at $65k vs. an M3 at $80k just because it has other attributes I like better (more comfortable ride, better reliability, looks 10000000% percent better). If they get the pricing right, I think dealers won't have any issues moving these cars.

Old 03-15-21, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by EZZ
I haven't tried the touchscreen version so perhaps you are right. I disliked my 2014 IS350 infotainment as it was laggy and they kept taking away features. The overall infotainment was garbage compared to what i've used since. At least the new one has Carplay (just wish it was the wireless version) so that alone makes it vastly better. The remote touchpad is just weird to use.
The new remote touch is far superior to what was offered back in 2014. If you use a laptop with a touchpad, the latest RTI operates just like it.

Originally Posted by EZZ
speed is a very subjective metric for many. Some are happy with sub 5s, while others feel sub 5s is slow so hard to say that anything under 5s is sufficient for all people. I've gotten used to sub 3.5s and want something faster next time around . The new M3 is definitely fast though and the IS500 just isn't in the same ballpark performance wise but it doesn't need to be for mid $60k. I would pick an IS500 at $65k vs. an M3 at $80k just because it has other attributes I like better (more comfortable ride, better reliability, looks 10000000% percent better). If they get the pricing right, I think dealers won't have any issues moving these cars.
If you want sub 3.5 0-60, get a Tesla or a Porsche. If you want a great all around car you can keep for a long time and not break the bank in maintenance and resale value, IS 500 F SPORT Performance is the one.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
AtomicAWD (03-23-21), natnut (03-15-21)
Old 03-16-21, 12:51 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
When I had 2017 Golf R Stage 2 FBO, I was able to do 3.5 seconds (0-60) constantly and it became kind of numb after a while because you get used to that kind of acceleration. I think the right question is not "how fast", but rather "how quick to respond/react" to driver's input. There are so many situations and instances that you need to accelerate as quick as you can. You pay not only for speed, but for better performance of everything else to control that speed which provides a lot of confidence and safety.
Old 03-16-21, 01:20 PM
Observer1
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love that we'll have a chance at a V8 in sedan form.

Assuming it's the same motor in the LC500, and RCF, how will it sound?

Love the sound of the LC500. Hope the IS will sound similar.
The RCF (to me) is meh. Why such a big difference in the sound?

Also, do we happen to know at the moment if it will be port, direct, or combination (port and direct) injected?

LexyLover (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 01:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nhk704
When I had 2017 Golf R Stage 2 FBO, I was able to do 3.5 seconds (0-60) constantly and it became kind of numb after a while because you get used to that kind of acceleration. I think the right question is not "how fast", but rather "how quick to respond/react" to driver's input. There are so many situations and instances that you need to accelerate as quick as you can. You pay not only for speed, but for better performance of everything else to control that speed which provides a lot of confidence and safety.
Thats one of the reasons why performance EVs get a lot of credit...instant response. I think the IS500 though will be much better than the turbo 6 cylinders in that respect as NA responds so much better to throttle...turbos always have a little lag especially when you are cruising in overdrive gear and have to shift down.

Also, you said you got used to 3.5s to 60. Unfortunately, you may also feel other cars just feel slow after you get used to it. Always gotta go faster right
Old 03-16-21, 02:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by nhk704
Again, how much faster do you really need to go? I think the Tesla Model 3 is a cool car that's very fast, but in reality, it's boring. I buy a Lexus because it will last me a long time and perform like brand new 10 years, 100k miles later. Can't really say the same for many other performance cars without having to spend a small fortune to keep it up.

Originally Posted by Observer1
Love that we'll have a chance at a V8 in sedan form.

Assuming it's the same motor in the LC500, and RCF, how will it sound?

Love the sound of the LC500. Hope the IS will sound similar.

The RCF (to me) is meh. Why such a big difference in the sound?
Biggest difference is the intake design and exhaust. The LC 500 has the best sounding intake and exhaust sound of any factory 2UR-GSE powered Lexus thanks to the intake resonance tube in the firewall and the Active Exhaust which is an electronically controlled value via Drive Mode Select (Sport S+ mode).

Originally Posted by Observer1
Also, do we happen to know at the moment if it will be port, direct, or combination (port and direct) injected?
All 5.0L 2UR-GSE V8 is D4-S gasoline port and direct injection.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-16-21 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Clarity
LexyLover (03-16-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance