IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 01:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SickAF
Are any of you going to buy this new? If so are you not worried about the “usual” new car depreciation once you drive it off the lot? I would preferably wait for a lease returned IS 500 but that would be in 3 years! 😕 A lease returned Lexus IS 500 would definitely be about $15k+ cheaper give or take. Are any of you just going to wait it out? I’m tempted to just save money and buy it brand new since I know it’s:
1. A new screen that’s been pushed forward for easier access that is touchscreen and also has Apple Carplay/Android auto.
The RC F has Apple CarPlay (2018+) but what if you want more room/seats?
The GS F doesn’t have any Apple CarPlay and it’s on an old infotainment system anyways.
The IS 500 fills the gap for both of these.

2. For the people that didn’t want a car as big as the GS F but wanted more room than an RC F this fits the bill. So it’ll eat into both those sales for sure making this car more valuable.

3. There hasn’t been a reliable, luxury, and high power option in this segment (compact sedan) for a while so I think the demand will be high.

What are your thoughts?
I've seen a ton of people trade in their compact performance sedan for a Model 3 Performance where I live. You get a pretty powerful car for $55k so I think its really taken a lot of share for the segment. I don't see many Lexus owners make the switch as they value reliability very highly so i think a lot of Lexus owners will upgrade to the IS500 but can't see many other brands switching to Lexus. I really hope the IS500 does very well so Lexus knows that there is a sizeable enthusiast population in Lexus that wants to see these high performance cars.
The following users liked this post:
SickAF (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 01:56 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lexus RX 500 F Sport

Originally Posted by nigel821
But WHY has Lexus not come out with performance version of the NX/RX... I can't imagine that's not a huge market since EVERY other manufacture has a sport SUV. MB probably being the most with all their lineup of SUVS that you can get pretty much in AMG flavors. I would LOVE for my wife's NX to have more power. We love everything about it besides the lack of power. If there was an option to get an 8 cylinder in that thing we would trade instantly.

I like where Lexus is going but I feel like they are moving slowly compared to everyone else. But I guess the up side to that is most people that have a Lexus keep it and will enjoy it where as the German rivals tend to be "lease" vehicles then hope to god you don't have issues after a warranty is done.

-Nigel
Maaan if they create a Lexus RX that’s RWD and has the same 5.0 V8 I’m pretty sure they would take a lot of sales from some of the competitors!
Lagtime (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:07 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm with you on that! The good thing about Lexus, the vehicles are over engineered and can take a beating.
This is why people keep buying older Lexus’. The fact that they can keep going and going, even after driving them hard. This video just seals the deal that with just oil changes the engine doesn’t break. This IS F has 220,000+ miles. He tracks his IS F. He opens it and checks it out.

Last edited by SickAF; 03-22-21 at 02:52 PM.
natnut (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 02:17 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Observer1
Love that we'll have a chance at a V8 in sedan form.

Assuming it's the same motor in the LC500, and RCF, how will it sound?

Love the sound of the LC500. Hope the IS will sound similar.
The RCF (to me) is meh. Why such a big difference in the sound?

Also, do we happen to know at the moment if it will be port, direct, or combination (port and direct) injected?
When I had my 2010 Lexus IS F what I did was buy the X Force exhaust and removed the mufflers. The sound was 90% similar to the LC 500 but about 40% louder which I prefer. 😃 You can trust me on this as i’ve driven the LC 500 for more than two hours lol. It’s a nice crispy sound that I got. Definitely recommend!

Last edited by SickAF; 03-22-21 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 02:33 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've seen a ton of people trade in their compact performance sedan for a Model 3 Performance where I live. You get a pretty powerful car for $55k so I think its really taken a lot of share for the segment. I don't see many Lexus owners make the switch as they value reliability very highly so i think a lot of Lexus owners will upgrade to the IS500 but can't see many other brands switching to Lexus. I really hope the IS500 does very well so Lexus knows that there is a sizeable enthusiast population in Lexus that wants to see these high performance cars.
To be honest... just from pushing the Model S P100D for a quick second... there’s no emotion there it’s just quick. Thing of a Mustang GT push but no exhaust sound or V8 engine sound. It’s really quiet. Yeah you go 0-60 in like 2 seconds but I guess it’s missing the main fun of an engine car, to me. To each their own though.

Also I when I said this I was talking about engine cars in the compact sedan segment, not electric.
—> There hasn’t been a reliable, luxury, and high power option in this segment (compact sedan) for a while so I think the demand will be high.

Last edited by SickAF; 03-22-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 02:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

To be honest... just from pushing the Model S P100D for a quick second... there’s no emotion there it’s just quick. Thing of a Mustang GT push but no exhaust sound or V8 engine sound. It’s really quiet. Yeah you go 0-60 in like 2 seconds but I guess it’s missing the main fun of an engine car, to me. To each their own though.

Also I when I said this I was talking about engine cars in the compact sedan segment, not electric.
—> There hasn’t been a reliable, luxury, and high power option in this segment (compact sedan) for a while so I think the demand will be high.
I completely understand. I just mention it because the replacement of the 3 series with Model 3s in my city has been startling. They are the king of the road where i live as they dart through traffic and zoom ahead from stop lights with ease so even though they don't have an engine, a lot of people have switched.

BTW, the last M3 has been fairly reliable by most counts so lets hope the new M3 will be just as reliable. The M340 is pretty high powered and just came out a year ago...i consider it the true IS500 competitor. I'm sure the Lexus will be more reliable though
Old 03-22-21, 03:14 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
BTW, the last M3 has been fairly reliable by most counts so lets hope the new M3 will be just as reliable. The M340 is pretty high powered and just came out a year ago...i consider it the true IS500 competitor. I'm sure the Lexus will be more reliable though
Hasn’t the last M3 only been out for about 6 years? For me, to say a car is reliable means it can go 150k+ miles without much problems if at all. I mean can the F80 do that?

The last IS F has proven this and it’s part of the reason why so many are excited to see this back lol.

To each their own though. Some people keep their cars a long time, some don’t. Some people buy their cars, some people lease. 😁

Last edited by SickAF; 03-22-21 at 03:32 PM.
natnut (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 04:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I want to be able to order mine in white with a white interior and without the BBS wheels, and even the Enkei wheels aren't my thing. I would love to have the ability to have my IS500 wheels to be closer to those of the IS350, add the quad tip, the raised hood and that's it. Subtle design tweaks with a powerful engine.
That's the whole point of the IS 500 F SPORT Performance. The buyer is most likely going to modified it with wheels, suspension, exhaust and etc. It has quad tipped exhaust and the sculpted hood already. I'm pretty certain you can get it in white, but like the IS 350 F SPORT DHP, white interior may not be available.
Old 03-22-21, 04:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

This is why people keep buying older Lexus’. The fact that they can keep going and going, even after driving them hard. This video just seals the deal that with just oil changes the engine doesn’t break. This IS F has 220,000+ miles. He tracks his IS F. He opens it and checks it out.
https://youtu.be/HT-DZ2ukqAs
LOL you don't have to sell me on this. I already know.
Old 03-22-21, 05:16 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
LOL you don't have to sell me on this. I already know.
Just bringing awareness to others
Old 03-22-21, 06:40 PM
psaav
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That color is heinous, Nardo grey is awful.
Old 03-22-21, 08:01 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psaav

might as well be primer gray
Old 03-22-21, 08:33 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryWest
totally agree is a horrible fad right now. 1st time I saw that before I saw anyone make it thst way from the factory was a custom wrap job on a 911 or GT3. I thought they ruined it. Then met a guy 2 weeks later with the SAME CAR (but different) in the same color. He proceeded to tell me how original it was.

Now I see something everyday in that color. It'll pass, like matte black. Used to see that everyday (which I actually like) but not anymore.
Old 03-22-21, 08:35 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

I really like the launch edition's interior. Besides loving the look of sued inserts as apposed to full leather, sued doesn't get too hot in the summer and it isn't ice cold in the winter. I had the sued/leather 2-tone interior in an old 2002 IS300 and absolutely loved it. Was looking at an '04 Sportcross at one point, but it had full leather and I wasn't too keen on that.

Originally Posted by JerryWest
I really dislike Nardo Gray as custom paint or a wrap on random vehicles. It seems to have become everyone's lazy go-to color. I guess I'm just sick of seeing it... unless it's the original factory paint on an actual Audi RS7 or something like that. That being said, I'm not really bothered by Incognito gray because it's a factory color. But, if I could afford a new IS500 I'd want that sweet USB. It's always been one of my favorite F and F Sport colors.
Old 03-23-21, 04:29 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance