IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21 | 09:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb The More You Know

Originally Posted by macmaster
​​​​

Thanks so much guys! I'll have to bookmark this page. It sounds like I don't need to negotiate anything at this moment. That does help put me at ease. I even get the impression I shouldn't continue to express my displeasure in the ceramic add-on until it's time to buy. I guess my rationale for talking about it now was to ease them into the idea that I don't want it - and maybe that would help my case down the line, rather than surprising them at the point-of-sale. I still would love to get the cost breakdown of these add-ons today though (ceramic vs. security). That's gotta be fair to ask for, right?
I am going to make an out loud fact statement for ALL interested car buyer’s…

Dealer add ons - Non OEM services or equipment are not required or mandatory…

Anyones stance for the IS 500 should be if it’s NOT on the MSRP or Monroney Window Sticker, you don’t want it..!!

Let alone a service that’s irreversible like “Ceramic Coating”..

This is an industry wide tactic to make profits, but not practiced by all dealerships..
Including the bull**** “market adjustment” aka Mark Ups.

With the IS 500s not even hitting the dealerships yet, ALL of this is negotiable with the correct people or sometimes even the GM of xyz dealerships..

Simple - don’t touch the car with aftermarket services or products.. OR

Find the right dealerships that do not engage in these practices..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-24-21 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Compromise (11-24-21), Kanpai (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 09:42 AM
pandahatch
Rookie

I’ve been pretty lucky here in the PNW. I have 2 dealers within 45 minutes from me. I have a deposit on the one that is closer and previously expressed interest in the one that’s further away.

They both confirmed no mark-ups.

The one that I have a deposit on told me they wanted to add like $2k of add-ons - mud flaps, door trim PPF, and LoJack. I didn’t say anything immediately.

Then I got a call from the dealership further away from me and they said they most likely will be able to do no add-ons for me.

So I texted my dealer sales associate that I’m working with and said he could match it.

So I’m locked in at MSRP with no dealer add ons. If there are a few small port installed options like all weather floor liners I’m fine with that because there are a few accessories that I want.
The following 4 users liked this post by pandahatch:
Compromise (11-24-21), DLPTony (11-24-21), flighthalo (11-24-21), wthrman2 (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:13 AM
flighthalo
Rookie

Originally Posted by pandahatch
I’ve been pretty lucky here in the PNW. I have 2 dealers within 45 minutes from me. I have a deposit on the one that is closer and previously expressed interest in the one that’s further away.

The one that I have a deposit on told me they wanted to add like $2k of add-ons - mud flaps, door trim PPF, and LoJack. I didn’t say anything immediately.

Then I got a call from the dealership further away from me and they said they most likely will be able to do no add-ons for me.

So I texted my dealer sales associate that I’m working with and said he could match it.

So I’m locked in at MSRP with no dealer add ons. If there are a few small port installed options like all weather floor liners I’m fine with that because there are a few accessories that I want.
I'm in Portland, guessing you are in Seattle? I got my quote sheet yesterday with no ad ons but I do want the lit up door sills, key covers and the trunk mat so I'm going to work on that here soon....Congrats on getting what you want and the correct price!
The following users liked this post:
pandahatch (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:15 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

I just received notice that im getting a LE at msrp. Im over the moon right now!!!! Should be coming sometime december.
The following 8 users liked this post by lexussingh:
arentz07 (11-24-21), Carolina50 (11-24-21), Compromise (11-24-21), DLPTony (11-24-21), flighthalo (11-24-21), pandahatch (11-24-21), TipsyTonio (11-24-21), wthrman2 (11-24-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:22 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexussingh
i just received notice that im getting a le at msrp. Im over the moon right now!!!! Should be coming sometime december.
Originally Posted by pandahatch
i’ve been pretty lucky here in the pnw. I have 2 dealers within 45 minutes from me. I have a deposit on the one that is closer and previously expressed interest in the one that’s further away.

The one that i have a deposit on told me they wanted to add like $2k of add-ons - mud flaps, door trim ppf, and lojack. I didn’t say anything immediately.

Then i got a call from the dealership further away from me and they said they most likely will be able to do no add-ons for me.

So i texted my dealer sales associate that i’m working with and said he could match it.

So i’m locked in at msrp with no dealer add ons. If there are a few small port installed options like all weather floor liners i’m fine with that because there are a few accessories that i want.
congrats!!!
pandahatch (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:40 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I'm jealous of these peeps who are getting their cars without add-ons.

Just talked to another dealer and they said they could do w/o the ceramic but there's still at $595 for 3M door edge guards. I'd have to get approval from the manager for removing that. Seriously??? $595 for a strip of plastic? Jeez I'll take the ceramic instead then....(please no though)

I just can't catch a break right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
DLPTony (11-24-21), pandahatch (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:42 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I'm jealous of these peeps who are getting their cars without add-ons.

Just talked to another dealer and they said they could do w/o the ceramic but there's still at $595 for 3M door edge guards. I'd have to get approval from the manager for removing that. Seriously??? $595 for a strip of plastic? Jeez I'll take the ceramic instead then....(please no though)

I just can't catch a break right now.
How is that even possible??? The actual port-installed price for that is $95. How can they just tack another $500 on to it.
pandahatch (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:45 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
How is that even possible??? The actual port-installed price for that is $95. How can they just tack another $500 on to it.
Exactly. I called back 2 min later to confirm the price because I thought he misspoke. Nope. When it's port-installed it's $95. When it's dealer installed it's $595. I guess that gives me a better chance of declining the service though. Basically his point was "we sometimes do 2 add-ons (ceramic and door guards). We can remove one from your order. So pick your poison (unless manager approves)" in nicer words.

I'm hesitant to put another deposit down at a 3rd dealership until he can find out for certain though.
pandahatch (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 10:47 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Exactly. I called back 2 min later to confirm the price because I thought he misspoke. Nope. When it's port-installed it's $95. When it's dealer installed it's $595. I guess that gives me a better chance of declining the service though. Basically his point was "we sometimes do 2 add-ons (ceramic and door guards). We can remove one from your order. So pick your poison (unless manager approves)" in nicer words.

I'm hesitant to put another deposit down at a 3rd dealership until he can find out for certain though.
LMFAO what an actual joke that dealer is. I'd tell them "Yeah, I want the door edge guard... from the port"

Personally, I rather pay for the ceramic than pay for that blatant rip off on the door edge guards. But even the carbon is overpriced.
Old 11-24-21 | 11:06 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Alright I got an update from that 3rd dealer I just started working with! The add ons are not required, so they can put me down for a premium USB w/ black interior without markup and without add-ons. It's another $1000 deposit. I'll be 6th or 7th in line.

Interestingly, they want to go through the finance terms now, before the car is here and I'm ready to buy. Is that common? I don't necessarilly want them to pull credit now...
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
DLPTony (11-24-21), wthrman2 (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 11:11 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Alright I got an update from that 3rd dealer I just started working with! The add ons are not required, so they can put me down for a premium USB w/ black interior without markup and without add-ons. It's another $1000 deposit. I'll be 6th or 7th in line.

Interestingly, they want to go through the finance terms now, before the car is here and I'm ready to buy. Is that common? I don't necessarilly want them to pull credit now...
I think they're doing that to determine if you're actually serious about it. Realistically you shouldn't as they'll have to run your credit again if the car doesnt arrive in 30 days. If you want to show your seriousness, you could suggest that they make the refund nonrefundable. But then that means you should cancel your other deposits.
Old 11-24-21 | 11:13 AM
pandahatch
Rookie

Originally Posted by flighthalo
I'm in Portland, guessing you are in Seattle? I got my quote sheet yesterday with no ad ons but I do want the lit up door sills, key covers and the trunk mat so I'm going to work on that here soon....Congrats on getting what you want and the correct price!
Yeah I am in Tacoma! And luckily with those even if you can get them you can always just order the parts for the key covers and trunk mat! I don’t know how the illuminated door sills work, though.
flighthalo (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21 | 11:19 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I think they're doing that to determine if you're actually serious about it. Realistically you shouldn't as they'll have to run your credit again if the car doesnt arrive in 30 days. If you want to show your seriousness, you could suggest that they make the refund nonrefundable. But then that means you should cancel your other deposits.
I don't think I could ever suggest a non-refundable deposit on myself haha.
Old 11-24-21 | 11:59 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Eyyyy looks like we are color combo buddies
Old 11-24-21 | 12:54 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

At this point, with all the news of folks here getting allocations, I think we already knew this, but here's a relevant article.

Toyota Busts The Car Microchip Shortage, announces FULL GLOBAL PRODUCTION by December

Key Quote from article below:
However, the company has said it will do so without removing features from its vehicles, a corner many automakers have been cutting so they can make their dwindling chip supply stretch further.
wthrman2 (11-24-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance