IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 09:16 PM
BChoCRNA
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I originally budgeted about $2k in add-ons; but over the last few months, the dealer shenanigans I’ve read have killed that. I do not need to be the first, I’ll wait if a markup is non-negotiable.
I’m with you, I decided to wait until its a buyers market again. Not that this will apply to the is500, on a good note for the later adopters, Savagegeese’s LC500 video mentioned how Lexus continuously improved the LC500 over the years from its initial release.

timestamp: 1304

Last edited by BChoCRNA; 12-04-21 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (12-05-21)
Old 12-04-21, 11:19 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BChoCRNA
I’m with you, I decided to wait until its a buyers market again. Not that this will apply to the is500, on a good note for the later adopters, Savagegeese’s LC500 video mentioned how Lexus continuously improved the LC500 over the years from its initial release.

https://youtu.be/bHdVaZC8Ld0?t=780

timestamp: 1304
Agreed. From what I have seen in Lexus past history, it is a 100% chance that they will make sizable mechanical improvements to any new models following the initial model year.
The following 2 users liked this post by felixcat:
DLPTony (12-05-21), Vitveet (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 02:42 AM
BChoCRNA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by felixcat
Agreed. From what I have seen in Lexus past history, it is a 100% chance that they will make sizable mechanical improvements to any new models following the initial model year.
I’m hoping Lexus adresses the slow shifts speeds the reviewers have been disappointed about as mentioned here:

timestamp 3:43

Also hoping they update the infotainment system that will available with the 2023 Tundra and 2023 NX, I always get screwed with infotainment updates I was literally 1 year behind on apple carplay and the salesman sold me on the fact they can update it for free when its available, ya that was a total lie.

Last edited by BChoCRNA; 12-05-21 at 02:53 AM.
DLPTony (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:13 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

I’m hoping Lexus adresses the slow shifts speeds the reviewers have been disappointed about as mentioned here:

https://youtu.be/3yxW4iBb7Zo?t=222

Also hoping they update the infotainment system that will available with the 2023 Tundra and 2023 NX, I always get screwed with infotainment updates I was literally 1 year behind on apple carplay and the salesman sold me on the fact they can update it for free when its available, ya that was a total lie.
So that could be a dilemma in the making… 😎 If Lexus improved the shift speeds and infotainment, yet there’s a glut (Glut = One or Two MY2022 units) on the lots, would you go after them instead?

Side note: It sounds ridiculous to say, but can a dude get folding mirrors?! I’ll take that over the rear-shade in a heartbeat!
V8ISGreat (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:24 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

To be honest, I doubt the 500 will need a lot of tweaks given that it has the same underpinning as the 350 with the DHP. The LC was a different beast as it was a brand new model so it was to be expected that some improvements/tweaks would be required. As for the infotainment system, they will not invest in changing it for a car that will have about 2 years before it's retired. They already gave us the touchscreen and the pad instead of the mouse. Keep in mind that 500 was given to us after lexus USA pushed for this, and we know there will be an IS F on the next gen, so to me, this is a car that was given to us with some of the old bits for those who wanted it, but they wont invest in improving the transmission and such...that is just my opinion of course.

Now I dont disagree with waiting a year or two for the market to cool off, but I doubt there will be any investment or changes made to it before they retire it. Again, this is a gift for those of us who dont want twin turbos, supercharger, DCT, electric motors etc... and I am certainly one of those
The following 4 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (12-05-21), DLPTony (12-05-21), Kandyman1 (12-05-21), Shoeboy4 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:33 AM
BChoCRNA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DLPTony
So that could be a dilemma in the making… 😎 If Lexus improved the shift speeds and infotainment, yet there’s a glut (Glut = One or Two MY2022 units) on the lots, would you go after them instead?

Side note: It sounds ridiculous to say, but can a dude get folding mirrors?! I’ll take that over the rear-shade in a heartbeat!
Dude seriously, I heard the JDM and Saudi IS comes with folding mirrors.
DLPTony (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:45 AM
BChoCRNA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wthrman2
To be honest, I doubt the 500 will need a lot of tweaks given that it has the same underpinning as the 350 with the DHP. The LC was a different beast as it was a brand new model so it was to be expected that some improvements/tweaks would be required. As for the infotainment system, they will not invest in changing it for a car that will have about 2 years before it's retired. They already gave us the touchscreen and the pad instead of the mouse. Keep in mind that 500 was given to us after lexus USA pushed for this, and we know there will be an IS F on the next gen, so to me, this is a car that was given to us with some of the old bits for those who wanted it, but they wont invest in improving the transmission and such...that is just my opinion of course.

Now I dont disagree with waiting a year or two for the market to cool off, but I doubt there will be any investment or changes made to it before they retire it. Again, this is a gift for those of us who dont want twin turbos, supercharger, DCT, electric motors etc... and I am certainly one of those
All great points! One of the reviewers mentioned possibly correcting the shift speed with a software revision, I don’t know thats possible? And I highly doubt they throw a RCF rear diff as an update.
wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 05:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I guess a software update would not be impossible however, isn't the same engine and transmission as the RC F? Keep in mind also that the press cars are not always final and they may have caught any last minute glitches...but we will see with time.

I dont think they would put the torque vectoring differential, again, this is not meant to be an IS F...

Last edited by wthrman2; 12-05-21 at 05:59 AM.
V8ISGreat (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 06:24 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Dude seriously, I heard the JDM and Saudi IS comes with folding mirrors.
Lexus has all these features developed for the IS, what you have to keep in mind is what Lexus USA and Lexus Canada decide to package their vehicles with for a given price point. For example, the 2021 IS 350 came with memory seats in Canada but was not available in the US. The 2022 IS 500 comes with a sunroof in the US, not in Canada and so on. If there is something in your vehicle that is missing that you would like, Lexus HQ is more to blame for selecting what features they want in our market.

The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (12-05-21), V8ISGreat (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 08:26 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I doubt Lexus is going to do much upgrades to the IS500. The current IS generation is already pushing it age wise. Given how miraculous the existence of the IS500 is in the current generation, I can't see Lexus spending the money making researching and making an IS500 for the next generation. I think they're much more likely to make a twin turbo V6 or something like that when they move to generation 4.
wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 08:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Yeah, I think the theory of the serial number being linked to the 1/500 sequence was debunked a few weeks ago so I don't think there is a correlation but we'll find out soon
Definitely no correlation… Traditionally the early sequenced units will go to someone special within Lexus or the dealership networks.. I found many other LE units in the 1100 ranges..

And it appears the VIN sequence do not incrementally increase by 1 digit..

Joe Z

wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 08:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Jthup1d2xn148az10

Originally Posted by undefined
Yeah, you got me worried. Then I put my vin in clublexus decoder, It does say IS500. Also double checked the spec sheet they sent to me, it has LE MSRP as well. 😂 maybe mine is 500/500
Originally Posted by Shoeboy4
I type in my given vin and it says there is no information on that vin so I don't know
Originally Posted by undefined
Interesting, my VIN is so weird: JTHUP1D2XN148AZ10. Unlike other vins have been posted in this forum: I think 500/500 is also cool.

Based on what i am reading and seeing looks like it’s a Japan reserved order not processed yet which makes sense if the car is NOT built yet…
Assuming it’s fulfilled in Dec/Jan, the actual build VIN will fall line with ..N500xxxx

Your dealership will then be able to see it in the Lexus network and delivery eta etc

Joe Z
Shoeboy4 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 09:52 AM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

https://youtu.be/3yxW4iBb7Zo?t=222

I seriously wouldn’t worry about this, it is most likely a made up problem by a car reviewer. He also complains about the stability control being intrusive…well then turn it off…duh!
Having watched all the major reviews for this car, half of them seem to say manual shifting is better, and the other half say auto only is the way to go. I think the fact that these car reviewers can’t agree amongst themselves is a good sign that the only people that will have issues with the transmission are: 1. Car reviewers, or 2. Gearheads that are expecting this Lexus to drive like a race car.
The only way you are going to know if the millisecond delay in manual shifting is a problem for YOU is on your test drive. My guess is you will be so thrilled with the way it drives and sounds you won’t even notice.
The following 5 users liked this post by V8ISGreat:
Carolina50 (12-05-21), DLPTony (12-05-21), drawg22 (12-05-21), iceache925 (12-05-21), wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 09:57 AM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
I seriously wouldn’t worry about this, it is most likely a made up problem by a car reviewer. He also complains about the stability control being intrusive…well then turn it off…duh!
Having watched all the major reviews for this car, half of them seem to say manual shifting is better, and the other half say auto only is the way to go. I think the fact that these car reviewers can’t agree amongst themselves is a good sign that the only people that will have issues with the transmission are: 1. Car reviewers, or 2. Gearheads that are expecting this Lexus to drive like a race car.
The only way you are going to know if the millisecond delay in manual shifting is a problem for YOU is on your test drive. My guess is you will be so thrilled with the way it drives and sounds you won’t even notice.
I am with you on that! Just give me the thrills and sounds!!! And the d car already!

Last edited by Carolina50; 12-05-21 at 10:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carolina50:
iceache925 (12-05-21), V8ISGreat (12-05-21), wthrman2 (12-05-21)
Old 12-05-21, 10:27 AM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
100% how I feel about it. I love my IS 350 F-Sport and could only imagine how much more I'm going to love it when I get the V-8 in the IS 500. If they want a race car then buy a dang race car!
The following 3 users liked this post by iceache925:
Carolina50 (12-05-21), V8ISGreat (12-05-21), wthrman2 (12-05-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance