IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 09:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Compromise
I'm interested as well! I asked a couple dealers around me and none has any info. One of the dealerships said to "check back in 3 months."
Originally Posted by Squischer
I would ask them to start a "wait list" for the car and offer to place a deposit. I don't have an in with the dealer either as this would be my first Lexus - coming from driving M cars for 20+ years.
I would definitely call different dealers to see if you can get your name on a list. I know of a few dealers that have already taken a formal list with a deposit. The Launch Edition will sell out quick.

Originally Posted by AWilson013
Thank you. I'll try again in the morning. They're one of the biggest dealers, so I am sure they've been allocated a few...
There are 241 Lexus dealers in the USA. Most will get at least 2. Some may not get any.

Originally Posted by Kandyman1
Is there an official Lexus policy on deposit refunds? Can you get your full refund back without a hassle if you end up deciding you don’t want the car? I am a little uneasy with putting a deposit for anything sight unseen (and even without full details at this time).

Btw, has there been any indication from Lexus that the regular IS500 (not the LE) will be a low production vehicle, or is this just enthusiast excitement/hype?
Since each dealership is a franchise, it depends on the dealership group's policy. Some dealerships will have you sign a disclosure. In most states, deposits must be refundable unless a transaction moves forward to completion. Make sure to ask the dealership of your choice to review the incoming vehicle deposit disclosure or document.

The following users liked this post:
yok3dIS (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 06:31 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
Here's what I was told by my contact: The deposit can apply towards the vehicle. I am sure we would return it if you decided to not get one. Since we don’t know anything about them...price, color combo or anything....we do not even have a relative time frame. They aren't showing up in our build list yet. The deposit will guarantee that as of today, you will be the fourth person to be offered what we have or can get. With a deposit you are guaranteed to be one of the first to see it in person.

Keep you guys posted.
UPDATE! Just put a deposit down today. Dealer says I'm fourth in line and sent me the receipt and email stating it is refundable. Now the waiting game lol
The following 3 users liked this post by yok3dIS:
arentz07 (04-13-21), DaveGS4 (04-13-21), flipside909 (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 06:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

UPDATE! Just put a deposit down today. Dealer says I'm fourth in line and sent me the receipt and email stating it is refundable. Now the waiting game lol
Congrats! Hopefully you get an earlier allocation.
yok3dIS (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 05:06 PM
Compromise
Intermediate

Received 415 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice! I also just put down a deposit but no guarantee on color or packages or even if it's the LE. Got the receipt and email stating it is fully refundable if I am not satisfied with the provided options as well. Thanks for sharing so I did the same
The following 3 users liked this post by Compromise:
DaveGS4 (04-13-21), roastpuff (04-13-21), yok3dIS (04-13-21)
Old 04-14-21, 10:18 AM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told today individuals will not be able to spec the IS500 at all. Lexus is just going to send the dealers specific builds because they are no longer able to special order because of the industry wide shortage of microchips???? So for those of you on a list, do not get your hopes up of being able to choose anything - even the color of vehicle. That. Is. No bueno.
Old 04-14-21, 10:23 AM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told today individuals will not be able to spec the IS500 at all. Lexus is just going to send the dealers specific builds because they are no longer able to special order because of the industry wide shortage of microchips???? So for those of you on a list, do not get your hopes up of being able to choose anything - even the color of vehicle. That. Is. No bueno.
I highly doubt this is the case. For those who are on the waiting list will choose from the dealer lot, not from the factory anyway.
Old 04-14-21, 11:44 AM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nhk704
I highly doubt this is the case. For those who are on the waiting list will choose from the dealer lot, not from the factory anyway.
I am not sure what you mean. My thought was that Lexus would provide their dealers with a build allocation. That allocation would then be allowed to be built to an individuals (ie one from the waiting list) exact specification. That is not the case.
Old 04-14-21, 12:37 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure what you mean. My thought was that Lexus would provide their dealers with a build allocation. That allocation would then be allowed to be built to an individuals (ie one from the waiting list) exact specification. That is not the case.
I think you only have one side of the story. Either dealer can order per customer's spec or Dealer's spec or manufacturer's allocation (meaning either dealer or customer cannot do anything in terms of spec). I do not know Lexus's policy for the IS500, but I do not believe Lexus will force the customer to take whatever they build, and if they do, they will not sell many. Maybe your "source" is just for the LE vehicles since they are only to be produced 500 units. Also, it is possible that those 500 units will be prebuilt before they open up the orders, so that makes more sense just for the LE cars.

Last edited by nhk704; 04-14-21 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 01:02 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

I think you only have one side of the story. Either dealer can order per customer's spec or Dealer's spec or manufacturer's allocation (meaning either dealer or customer cannot do anything in terms of spec). I do not know Lexus's policy for the IS500, but I do not believe Lexus will force the customer to take whatever they build, and if they do, they will not sell many. Maybe your "source" is just for the LE vehicles since they are only to be produced 500 units. Also, it is possible that those 500 units will be prebuilt before they open up the orders, so that makes more sense just for the LE cars.
I understand you now. Sorry. The Dealer told me that they will be "Manufacturer's allocation". Neither me nor the Dealer will be able to spec the car. It will not be forced on me, I can just get my deposit back if I don't like what is sent to the Dealer. I doubt they will have any problems getting selling them....
Old 04-14-21, 01:36 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

I understand you now. Sorry. The Dealer told me that they will be "Manufacturer's allocation". Neither me nor the Dealer will be able to spec the car. It will not be forced on me, I can just get my deposit back if I don't like what is sent to the Dealer. I doubt they will have any problems getting selling them....
If my theory is correct (only for the LE cars), the spec is already set, such as exterior/interior colors and all the LE exclusive stuff. There are not many to add on in terms of packages. that way Lexus can push out the initial LE cars quick with no variation to cut down time and cost. After the LE production, customers should be able to spec their cars (the wait time may be longer). My guess is that the only possible option might be the colors and everything else should be pretty much fully loaded IS350 DHP spec.
Old 04-14-21, 04:41 PM
Observer1
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like many things from the existing IS line will carry over to the new 500.

Currently a (mostly) satisfied 350 owner, but the new V8 should make it a great (for me) improvement.

Here's hoping Lexus will have improved (in no particular order):

1) The damn turn signal stalk tactility. I think just a regular Camry's positive click and feel is so much better.
2) The comically slow shifts from the paddle shifters.
3) Have rev matching on all modes, not just Sport +. (At least that's what I've observed on mine.)
4) Address uneven rear tire wear.
5) Support for USB Audio and lossless codecs.
6) Less grabby brakes. My understanding is that you can still have pretty good brake performance without the super grabby nature of the factory pads.

Finally, I'm sensing from the response to my previous inquiry about the overall sound will be like the RCF, which to me is "meh". Would be thrilled if it was the LC500's sound and very unlikely that will be addressed. Bummer, but just the V8 does have me thinking about the possibility of the 500 in my future. Perhaps.

Last edited by Observer1; 04-14-21 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fixed typo and weird formatting...
Old 04-14-21, 05:01 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

If my theory is correct (only for the LE cars), the spec is already set, such as exterior/interior colors and all the LE exclusive stuff. There are not many to add on in terms of packages. that way Lexus can push out the initial LE cars quick with no variation to cut down time and cost. After the LE production, customers should be able to spec their cars (the wait time may be longer). My guess is that the only possible option might be the colors and everything else should be pretty much fully loaded IS350 DHP spec.
I wasn't referring to the LE, but to the non-LE cars. I was told by the Dealer that no one - not even the Dealers - will be able to spec their cars due to this Microchip-thingy issue. I cannot understand why this is the case. At the very least, why can't they do it the old school way and make a dayum phone call to place customer-specific orders. Customers who, I might add, are paying AT LEAST MSRP.
Old 04-14-21, 05:09 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't referring to the LE, but to the non-LE cars. I was told by the Dealer that no one - not even the Dealers - will be able to spec their cars due to this Microchip-thingy issue. I cannot understand why this is the case. At the very least, why can't they do it the old school way and make a dayum phone call to place customer-specific orders. Customers who, I might add, are paying AT LEAST MSRP.
I think either your dealer is lying or doesn’t know what they are talking about or just sales tactic to push the sales whatever they will have on the lot. Again, I highly doubt it.
Old 04-14-21, 05:43 PM
psaav
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is true about these microchips. Whatever they are or are used for this is a problem across new car builds. BMW forums are having the same discussion about limitations and omissions in options and features on new builds due to a lack of these chips.
Old 04-14-21, 08:51 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by psaav
This is true about these microchips. Whatever they are or are used for this is a problem across new car builds. BMW forums are having the same discussion about limitations and omissions in options and features on new builds due to a lack of these chips.
From what I read, Toyota was well prepared for the chip shortage. Have read it in more than one place too.

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-prepared...-di-1846641653
Shoeboy4 (04-14-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance