IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 10:04 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=Squischer;11033180]I was told today individuals will not be able to spec the IS500 at all. Lexus is just going to send the dealers specific builds because they are no longer able to special order because of the industry wide shortage of microchips???? So for those of you on a list, do not get your hopes up of being able to choose anything - even the color of vehicle.

These snags are likely to frustrate consumers who can’t find the vehicle they want and sometimes find themselves settling for a lower-end models without as many fancy electronic features. And it threatens to leave a big dent in the auto industry, which by some estimates stands to lose $60 billion in sales during the first half of his year.

“We have been hit by the perfect storm, and it’s not going away any time soon,” said Baird technology analyst Ted Mortonson, who said he has never seen such a serious shortage in nearly 30 years tracking the chip industry.

Expect to pay more. Supplies of many models were tight even before the chip shortage because automakers were having trouble making up for production lost to the pandemic.

Last edited by GaryJG; 04-14-21 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 12:03 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nhk704
I think you only have one side of the story. Either dealer can order per customer's spec or Dealer's spec or manufacturer's allocation (meaning either dealer or customer cannot do anything in terms of spec). I do not know Lexus's policy for the IS500, but I do not believe Lexus will force the customer to take whatever they build, and if they do, they will not sell many. Maybe your "source" is just for the LE vehicles since they are only to be produced 500 units. Also, it is possible that those 500 units will be prebuilt before they open up the orders, so that makes more sense just for the LE cars.
you are right and its too soon for a dealer to find out if they can spec these cars anyways. once they get close to launch and they can see whats in their pipeline, they can make changes to their build.
Old 04-15-21, 04:10 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I am not disputing the chip shortage as it's been documented everywhere however, I am not sure why dealers couldn't be able to order the color the customer want. I can understand that there could be a limited amount of vehicles allocated to dealers and maybe some packaging may be limited. I can see Lexus saying to dealers, these are the packaging the 500 can be ordered with, and these are the number of vehicles that will be produced but I am not sure I buy the color being forced on dealers. Then again, I am just speculating like everyone else.

My biggest question is that this chip shortage has been known for a while - Why would Lexus create such a hype to introduce something they didn't need to introduce only to then have a failed launch by limiting options/colors. As we all know, the selling price will only benefit the dealer and not Lexus corp as the profit margin stands to be higher for the dealers if they sell at MSRP (or higher)
Old 04-15-21, 11:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Squischer
I was told today individuals will not be able to spec the IS500 at all. Lexus is just going to send the dealers specific builds because they are no longer able to special order because of the industry wide shortage of microchips???? So for those of you on a list, do not get your hopes up of being able to choose anything - even the color of vehicle. That. Is. No bueno.
The IS 500 F SPORT Performance is going to be a small build, so it's likely they will fully spec it out like a typical IS 350 F SPORT DHP is built (NAV, ML, Panoramic View Camera, etc.). Lexus and Toyota do not have a silicone chip issue like the rest of the industry.

If my theory is correct (only for the LE cars), the spec is already set, such as exterior/interior colors and all the LE exclusive stuff. There are not many to add on in terms of packages. that way Lexus can push out the initial LE cars quick with no variation to cut down time and cost. After the LE production, customers should be able to spec their cars (the wait time may be longer). My guess is that the only possible option might be the colors and everything else should be pretty much fully loaded IS350 DHP spec.
Correct. But because the IS 500 F SPORT will be a low volume car, it will all depend on how the product planning team decides how to build the car. Fully spec'd out or have room for options like No Nav, No ML and etc.

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
you are right and its too soon for a dealer to find out if they can spec these cars anyways. once they get close to launch and they can see whats in their pipeline, they can make changes to their build.
The only changes that can be made once a car is allocated (shows on the inventory in Dealer Daily) from Lexus are port installed options only. Actual vehicle spec will be ultimately be determined by the region (Western, Central, Southern, Eastern areas as suggested by HQ.

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I am not disputing the chip shortage as it's been documented everywhere however, I am not sure why dealers couldn't be able to order the color the customer want. I can understand that there could be a limited amount of vehicles allocated to dealers and maybe some packaging may be limited. I can see Lexus saying to dealers, these are the packaging the 500 can be ordered with, and these are the number of vehicles that will be produced but I am not sure I buy the color being forced on dealers. Then again, I am just speculating like everyone else.
Toyota Production System. Lean manufacturing is the reason. There will be two main builds. The limited to 500 Launch Edition and the regular IS 500 F SPORT Performance build. There are 241 Lexus dealers in the USA, some will get 2, the smaller ones may get none at all. As for the regular IS 500 F SPORT Performance, that is TBA.

Originally Posted by wthrman2
My biggest question is that this chip shortage has been known for a while - Why would Lexus create such a hype to introduce something they didn't need to introduce only to then have a failed launch by limiting options/colors. As we all know, the selling price will only benefit the dealer and not Lexus corp as the profit margin stands to be higher for the dealers if they sell at MSRP (or higher)
There will be 500 of the IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Editions made specifically in the color Incognito with the special Gray/Black interior. The other color combinations and options have yet to be determined. It has nothing to do with the chip shortage as the IS 500 discussion was already in the the works more than 4 years ago already. Chip shortage has nothing to do with Toyota/Lexus.

ince you're in Canada, the build and availability will be even less than the USA. Knowing how TCI spec's their low volume cars, they will only offer one package fully loaded, and because it's a RWD car, you will probably wont see very many period.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-15-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-15-21, 11:22 AM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The IS 500 F SPORT Performance is going to be a small build, so it's likely they will fully spec it out like a typical IS 350 F SPORT DHP is built (NAV, ML, Panoramic View Camera, etc.). Lexus and Toyota do not have a silicone chip issue like the rest of the industry.

Correct. But because the IS 500 F SPORT will be a low volume car, it will all depend on how the product planning team decides how to build the car. Fully spec'd out or have room for options like No Nav, No ML and etc.

The only changes that can be made once a car is allocated (shows on the inventory in Dealer Daily) from Lexus are port installed options only. Actual vehicle spec will be ultimately be determined by the region (Western, Central, Southern, Eastern areas as suggested by HQ.

Toyota Production System. Lean manufacturing is the reason. There will be two main builds. The limited to 500 Launch Edition and the regular IS 500 F SPORT Performance build. There are 241 Lexus dealers in the USA, some will get 2, the smaller ones may get none at all. As for the regular IS 500 F SPORT Performance, that is TBA.

There will be 500 of the IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Editions made specifically in the color Incognito with the special Gray/Black interior. The other color combinations and options have yet to be determined. It has nothing to do with the chip shortage as the IS 500 discussion was already in the the works more than 4 years ago already. Chip shortage has nothing to do with Toyota/Lexus.
spot on. I don’t understand why people keep falling for the “chip shortage” that no end user/consumer in the U.S. was impacted. Even the tech heavy Tesla did not get affected by it (they even delivered more they expected).
Old 04-15-21, 12:48 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

spot on. I don’t understand why people keep falling for the “chip shortage” that no end user/consumer in the U.S. was impacted. Even the tech heavy Tesla did not get affected by it (they even delivered more they expected).

https://m.carsdirect.com/deals-artic...more-expensive
Old 04-15-21, 03:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

They have no reason for it...it's only speculation. Reason being...rebates and incentives are strong on almost everything. Lexus never has 0.9% this time of year...let alone 0% for a good portion of last year. Demand is high, supply is low.
Old 04-15-21, 04:14 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just want to pick the color I want. Should be easy to do. They know they are building the car. They know I want to buy it as they have some of my money already. Is that really too much to ask? I will have no problem going to my #2 choice - the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I know that Lexus, in the grand scheme of things doesn't care. But perhaps they should..........
Old 04-15-21, 04:17 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Friend ordered a Durango SRT 392. Got his build date.

They called him at the start of the week telling him his build was cancelled due to chip shortage.
Old 04-15-21, 04:49 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RRocket
Friend ordered a Durango SRT 392. Got his build date.

They called him at the start of the week telling him his build was cancelled due to chip shortage.
because no one cares about Dodge, and we are not talking about Dodge IS500.
Old 04-15-21, 04:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

While I think there are plenty of MOPAR or NO CAR type people around, I think the reason it doesn't apply for Lexus to the same degree is that Toyota and Lexus were prepared for the shortage.

See: https://jalopnik.com/toyota-prepared...-di-1846641653
Old 04-16-21, 07:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Squischer
I just want to pick the color I want. Should be easy to do. They know they are building the car. They know I want to buy it as they have some of my money already. Is that really too much to ask? I will have no problem going to my #2 choice - the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I know that Lexus, in the grand scheme of things doesn't care. But perhaps they should..........
The info on IS 500 F SPORT Performance is still preliminary. You will see in the next few months on what colors and options will be available. If you're already talking to a local dealer, i'd have a plan B and C option just in case. Just be patient.

As for the Alfa...you sure you want to spend more money fixing that and waiting for it to be fixed?
Old 04-16-21, 01:43 PM
Squischer
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know......
As or the Alfa, that's why it's Plan B. Reliability is much improved over the initial model years. And what a drive it is. Did I mention it comes in a kick *** red!!!!!
Old 04-16-21, 06:14 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

But certainly refutes your claim that no one is affected by the chip shortage. It's Ok to be wrong.

Further, a local plant is idled due to chip shortage. Try your best not to get triggered that the plant in question makes minivans.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...eek-1.15002851
Old 04-16-21, 06:18 PM
nhk704
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RRocket
But certainly refutes your claim that no one is affected by the chip shortage. It's Ok to be wrong.

Further, a local plant is idled due to chip shortage. Try your best not to get triggered that the plant in question makes minivans.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/new...eek-1.15002851
the issue that impacts nothing on our topic of interest, Lexus IS500. Why create noise that is irrelevant?

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance