IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 08:19 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The bulge is there for the V8 and to visually differentiate it from the IS 350 F SPORT DHP. Camera angles and zoom throw off the look of the car. The car looks way better in person, trust me.
Well, The V8 engine bay looks way better in person.
Old 04-23-21, 10:07 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The bulge is there for the V8 and to visually differentiate it from the IS 350 F SPORT DHP. Camera angles and zoom throw off the look of the car. The car looks way better in person, trust me.
Is it me or the back looks longer? Or because of the rear diffuser, there's definitely a longer overhang in trunk area?
Old 04-23-21, 12:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Is it me or the back looks longer? Or because of the rear diffuser, there's definitely a longer overhang in trunk area?
From what I heard, the front and rear fascias are different. I need to see them side by side because they look identical at first glance (not the pictures).
Old 04-23-21, 01:16 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-23-21, 07:23 PM
NewbLexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Atomic silver

My concern is what colors are going to be on this model? Will they offer same colors as the 350? It’s not a full blown F so the colors wouldn’t be as limiting as those F models would it?

I really like the atomic silver on the 350 with the dynamic handling package. I’m concerned with the news that the 2022 ES is getting rid of the atomic silver color makes me wonder if they are going to get rid of it across the entire lineup starting with all 2022 models.

However, I can’t resist the possibility of owning an V8 for once and the music coming from those pipes.
Old 04-23-21, 07:38 PM
Shoeboy4
Intermediate

Received 511 Likes on 182 Posts

I could see all the 350 F Sport colors making it and possibly atomic silver being replaced by incognito
Old 04-24-21, 03:41 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoeboy4
I could see all the 350 F Sport colors making it and possibly atomic silver being replaced by incognito
Nahh, Atomic silver is too popular to be replaced imo. If anything, maybe they replace Iridium silver. Or maybe Incognito is added as a specialty color that costs a little extra. Either way, I just don't see them replacing Atomic Silver.
Old 04-24-21, 08:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by NewbLexus
My concern is what colors are going to be on this model? Will they offer same colors as the 350? It’s not a full blown F so the colors wouldn’t be as limiting as those F models would it?

I really like the atomic silver on the 350 with the dynamic handling package. I’m concerned with the news that the 2022 ES is getting rid of the atomic silver color makes me wonder if they are going to get rid of it across the entire lineup starting with all 2022 models.

However, I can’t resist the possibility of owning an V8 for once and the music coming from those pipes.
Just give it some time and more info will come out on the IS 500. I'm guessing most of the colors available on the current IS 350 F SPORT will carry aside from the Launch Edition's Incognito.

Originally Posted by JBison73
Nahh, Atomic silver is too popular to be replaced imo. If anything, maybe they replace Iridium silver. Or maybe Incognito is added as a specialty color that costs a little extra. Either way, I just don't see them replacing Atomic Silver.
Atomic Silver is going away on the 2022 ES so it will probably follow suit in the future for IS. Iridium is a new color for 2021, highly doubt they will replace that as it replaces the old Silver Lining. Cloudburst replaces Nebula Gray.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
roastpuff (04-24-21), Shoeboy4 (04-24-21)
Old 04-24-21, 11:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
That side pic of the Incognito IS though, I can't get over that weird look on the front end of the hood - It's not as noticeable on the red so maybe its a photo issue but something looks just off for me. I know its the bulge for the V8 and from the front, it looks amazing but when looking at it from the side, it just looks "off" - I just can't quite put my finger on how to describe it best. Am I the only one seeing it?
The IS F is the same way. Always found it a bit awkward from the side.

Jeff
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Lange:
Tom59 (04-26-21), wthrman2 (04-25-21)
Old 04-26-21, 07:33 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Knockout -

Stunning car! Finally added the proper engine for enthusiasts. I'm really glad the new front wheels are 1" lighter and rears are 2lbs lighter. Made me laugh out loud. I much prefer the black wheels for the sinister look. Tires I would wear out really fast so they are a non-issue. Switch to another summer tire. I think we are going to get the IS350 AWD for my wife's everyday car. If they move this engine over to the Supra I'd be on it like white on rice.
Old 04-26-21, 08:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Tom59
Stunning car! Finally added the proper engine for enthusiasts. I'm really glad the new front wheels are 1" lighter and rears are 2lbs lighter. Made me laugh out loud. I much prefer the black wheels for the sinister look. Tires I would wear out really fast so they are a non-issue. Switch to another summer tire. I think we are going to get the IS350 AWD for my wife's everyday car. If they move this engine over to the Supra I'd be on it like white on rice.
This is the spiritual successor to the previous IS F.
Old 04-27-21, 10:25 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I know I'm jumping the gun here since the vehicle isn't even for sale yet, but how long do you all think the IS500 will stay in production? With sales being limited to North America, and the looming 2035 law (which I'm betting they'll extend), it kind of points to a very limited run, at least in my head.
Old 04-27-21, 10:41 AM
SSackey
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
I know I'm jumping the gun here since the vehicle isn't even for sale yet, but how long do you all think the IS500 will stay in production? With sales being limited to North America, and the looming 2035 law (which I'm betting they'll extend), it kind of points to a very limited run, at least in my head.
Looming 2035 law? That's 14 years from now. The IS500 will probably stay in production until the end of production of this generation IS, maybe 3+ years depending on how long they want to stretch out this existing platform.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 11:04 AM
SeanSkiVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SSackey
Looming 2035 law? That's 14 years from now. The IS500 will probably stay in production until the end of production of this generation IS, maybe 3+ years depending on how long they want to stretch out this existing platform.
I hope so, and that it sells well. They had to invest the R&D money to make this happen so keeping it in production as long as possible should help them recoup those costs.
Old 04-27-21, 11:19 AM
SSackey
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT
I hope so, and that it sells well. They had to invest the R&D money to make this happen so keeping it in production as long as possible should help them recoup those costs.
The general way that Japanese car companies tend to do low production "sport" models is to develop the car, then continue selling it relatively unchanged until they no longer can due to the base model going away. They don't typically cancel sport models due to low demand, for whatever reason - instead they are happy to continue selling a handful of cars per month. Every standard production F model so far has followed this trend.

I don't see them cancelling the IS500 until the base model IS gets re-developed on a new platform (3-5 years?), or if the V8 is unable to pass emissions for some reason (unlikely any time in the next 5 years, as it's a decently advanced engine and companies like GM are still getting away with pushrod V8s etc).

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance