IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21 | 09:55 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
To those saying it’s not a full on F car, how?
whats it missing? Besides the name being different?
its going to have a

Almost Same 8 speed as last ISF (dif tranny code)
470+ HP V8
Adaptive variable suspension
Torsen limited slip diff
visual mods

what it missing from full on F car?
the AA81E is not as fast or robust of a transmission (AA80E vs AA81E - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion)
no Brembo 6 piston brakes
no BBS wheels
no option for toque vectoring diff
no side vent ducts
Old 02-22-21 | 09:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

its going to have a

470+ HP V8
Torsen limited slip diff
visual mods

Torque vectoring is missing and the fancier gauges. The devil will be the pricing how whether this car will be successful.
Old 02-22-21 | 10:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by kittens
assuming this will be RWD only? I can't recall the V8 ever being offered with AWD. regarding pricing will probably be in line with the RCF
RWD only.

I’m sure traction is a limiting factor. The original Lexus ISF was rated at around 4.4 seconds 0-60 and after 60mph walks a 350.
A car with 110+ mph trap speed vs the 100mph trap of a 350 is night and day. Completely different galaxy of performance.
Actually the original 2008 IS F was rated at 4.6 seconds 0-60. 0.2 seconds is really close.

Originally Posted by 350phi
new IS starts at 39k. so 54k starting sounds about right. They're just dropping the RCF engine into the car, swapped out the front brakes, hood hump and rear RCF quads. It's parts they all had since 2015.
Technically the 2008 IS F was a 2nd Gen IS with a bored out LS 460 motor and etc. Does it really matter? It's great Lexus brought something to the table.

its going to have a

470+ HP V8
Torsen limited slip diff
visual mods

The Aisin AA80E 8 Speed Sport Direct Shift transmission w/lockup torque converter is the same in the IS F, RC F, GS F and the LS Sport (2010-2012)/LS F SPORT (2013-2017).

Whats different is that it has no Brembo brakes, no BBS wheels and the F side fender vents on the IS 500 F SPORT Performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
highrev6 (02-22-21), msgs350 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Just a slight correction and this is an age old error that's happened since CL started, there is no hyphen on any Lexus model including F and F SPORT. The correct name for this car is:

IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Correct:

IS 500
F SPORT
IS 500 F SPORT
IS F
GS F
LFA (Production Car) Lexus Fuji Apex
LF-A (Concept Car) Lexus Future Advance

Incorrect:

IS500
IS500F
IS500 F-Sport
ISF
F-Sport
IS-F

Space after the letters, no hyphen, no hanging F after the model.

Just following Lexus brand standards. Cheers!

Last edited by flipside909; 02-24-21 at 07:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
V8ISGreat (02-15-22), waleedj3is (02-26-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:15 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Default Real World Video of IS500 F-Sport Performance

Old 02-22-21 | 10:23 AM
SSackey
Driver

Is it actually confirmed this won't use the same version of the transmission that the other F cars use (AA80E)?

I know the writeup says it uses the IS350 transmission, but I have a feeling that's just marketing speak for "8-speed auto." Seems odd Lexus would re-engineer the V8 powertrain they've been going with for every other car with this engine, risking transmission reliability in the process.
Old 02-22-21 | 10:23 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
The devil will be the pricing how whether this car will be successful.
Very true.

Lexus website has the RCF listed as $65,975. The 2014 ISF was previously listed at around $63,600.

Then also factoring in inflation...

Since this isn't an F car, does it stand to reason the IS500 has to be at least below those price points? Personally, I'd speculate $55k to $60k price range. Kind of high when you consider how long the tech has been around.... I'm jus thinking out loud here.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 02-22-21 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
butter461 (09-12-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:27 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JBison73
How does everyone feel about the wheels?

The wheels are......Meh.......
xroots (02-26-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:29 AM
SSackey
Driver

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Very true.

Lexus website has the RCF listed as $65,975. The 2014 ISF was previously listed at around $63,600.

Then also factoring in inflation...

Since this isn't an F car, does it stand to reason the IS500 has to be at least below those price points? Personally, I'd speculate $55k to $60k price range. Kind of high when you consider how long the tech has been around.... I'm jus thinking out loud here.
Like others have said, they are taking out the full F brakes, expensive seats and other interior details, TVD option, and many other small things, so it's going to be somewhat cheaper for sure. Just having this engine in a modern 4-door platform that doesn't totally break the bank (GS F) is good enough for me.
highrev6 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:31 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flipside909

Technically the 2008 IS F was a 2nd Gen IS with a bored out LS 460 motor and etc. Does it really matter? It's great Lexus brought something to the table.

Whats different is that it has no Brembo brakes, no BBS wheels and the F side fender vents on the IS 500 F SPORT Performance.
glad they did bring this out. i've been saying for years for them to just take what they had already form RCF and slap it on the new IS which is exactly what they're doing.
Meh, I don't care much for the extra bits like CF, gauge, fender, factory bbs, the TVD is a downside tho.
good thing the GSF/RCF front brembo bolts on to this car already. Rear brembo, not so sure. looks like a dual caliper setup has to be made.

without all the extra, I really hope they price it close to 50k. What will suck is that F-sport will be more known as the v8 model. So people driving 250/350 f sport will be mixed up with model name sake lol. They should have just called it an ISF.
Old 02-22-21 | 10:40 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Default Why Isn’t The IS 500 Called IS F?

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2021/02/...0-called-is-f/

Why isn’t the IS 500 instead called “IS F”?

You want to know, and we did too, so we asked Lexus directly. The answer opens an entirely new chapter of Lexus performance while giving enthusiasts even more options within the lineup.

Lexus Enthusiast:
Can you tell us a bit more about the hierarchy of F products now? We have F SPORT, F SPORT Performance Line, and F… Is this a three-tiered approach to performance where all-out performance cars will still be “F” at the top of the range? Or is F Sport Performance Line a replacement for F?

Lexus:
Great question. The IS 500 will be the first model to debut the Lexus F SPORT Performance line. F SPORT Performance models will be positioned between current Lexus F SPORT models, like the IS 350 F SPORT, and F models, like the RC F.

While current F SPORT models are denoted by upgraded performance components honed at the track (e.g., sport tuned suspension, limited-slip differential, race-inspired styling), new F SPORT Performance models will be further upgraded with those components and a high output powertrain.

As the highest expression of power and performance, F will continue to receive our most innovative engineering and advanced driver-inspired technology.

So there we have it. The IS 500 F SPORT Performance ushers in a new, third dimension for Lexus performance vehicles above “F SPORT” and below “F.”
  • F SPORT: An option package on Lexus models with upgraded performance components such as sport tuned suspensions, limited-slip differentials and race inspired styling.
  • F SPORT Performance: Includes F SPORT upgraded performance components paired with a high output powertrain.
  • F: The highest expression of Lexus performance with the most innovative engineering and driver-inspired technology.

Lexus Enthusiast’s Take

Having this information makes it easier to understand what ingredients are missing to create an IS F: Exclusive F front and rear bumpers with side fender vents, Brembo brakes, driver-focused suspension enhancements, active weight reduction, unique interior trim, launch control and more.

The IS 500 F SPORT Performance delivers where it matters most: 161 more horsepower, 115 more lb-ft of torque, two more cylinders, and a curb weight under 3,900 pounds.

Looking at the numbers, it’s clear that Lexus has delivered a perfect blueprint for performance-oriented buyers to enjoy and enthusiasts to modify as they see fit — without the added cost of full F gear.

More Lexus performance vehicles is better, and a naturally aspirated, rear-wheel-drive, V8 IS is the vehicle that started it all 13 years ago. Is it possible that the IS 500 F SPORT Performance is set to do the same for future Lexus generations? We hope so
The following 5 users liked this post by natnut:
CamelKool (02-24-21), FH212 (02-22-21), GTGS350F (02-26-21), petercheng (02-24-21), V8ISGreat (02-15-22)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:48 AM
FncyToyota
Driver School Candidate

So this means we will eventually see an actual F version? Having more trims and engine options is not a bad thing at all. Maybe we'll see the TTV6 in the "F" version.
Old 02-22-21 | 10:54 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Where are all the memes that the "F" owners made for us F Sport guys now?
petercheng (02-24-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 10:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The wheels are nice. But I don't know. The more I look at this car, including the refresh, it seems really really dated. Boxy and upright, old interior. The general shell of the car has an early 2010s vibe to it.

I do at least hope they tuned the transmission with F tuning, and this isn't the regular 350/200t/300 turbo variant tuning where it has slow shifts/slippage at redline.
Old 02-22-21 | 10:59 AM
matmanx1
Rookie

I'm happy to see this but maybe also a little bit disappointed that it isn't a full-on IS F. That being said I don't know that I need a full on IS F and with this having the 5.0 V8 it is getting the most important thing right. After I drove an LC 500 in 2018 I said that it was my attainable dream car in a few years time and I could be ready for one in the next year or so. But if the IS 500 F Sport will deliver much of the same romance in a smaller, lighter and more practical package then that may be the way I decide to go. I've already reached out to a Lexus sales rep that several folks in my company have used and will await his reply. This Fall is a little sooner than I wanted to move but I also don't want to miss what could be the last compact sedan with a naturally aspirated V8 under the hood from Lexus.

And on that note, thank you, Lexus, for making this car!
The following 2 users liked this post by matmanx1:
GreyHound (02-24-21), petercheng (02-24-21)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance