IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-21, 09:10 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
The white is amazing. I still don’t understand how a matte gray—which is basically the color of primer—became a trendy paint job on all these different brands of cars, to the point where people are willing to pay thousands of dollars extra for it
I consider the nardo gray trend as one of the biggest absurdities in modern auto history. A true matte finish (like what you see with wraps) done as a paint job is extremely expensive and difficult, so the next closest thing car mfrs could do to emulate matte was to use a flat primer color with a gloss clear coat. Voila. Millions of people duped. Well maybe not, but some still buy it. Why anyone would choose this color over a beautiful Lexus metallic finish I’ll never understand. It’s not that it’s not just a bad color, but it represents a few things I personally could never support 1) failure to succeed (in creating a matte paint), 2) conformity (to a trend people don’t understand the history behind), 3) greed of auto companies (I’ll bet you anything this paint costs less to manufacture than other paints)
The following 5 users liked this post by macmaster:
Brandonfu (12-29-21), jororo (12-30-21), Racer00J (12-29-21), redspencer (12-30-21), V8ISGreat (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 09:15 AM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 417 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I just think Shoeboy wants to make sure I get white because as soon as I start questioning the white, he slaps on new pics and gets me to salivate again. Maybe he'll throw in a 100$ gas gift card next time to sweeten the deal (lol)
I'll add to the white car photodumps as soon as I can get a hold of mine.. few more weeks... the anticipation!
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 09:25 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I consider the nardo gray trend as one of the biggest absurdities in modern auto history. A true matte finish (like what you see with wraps) done as a paint job is extremely expensive and difficult, so the next closest thing car mfrs could do to emulate matte was to use a flat primer color with a gloss clear coat. Voila. Millions of people duped. Well maybe not, but some still buy it. Why anyone would choose this color over a beautiful Lexus metallic finish I’ll never understand. It’s not that it’s not just a bad color, but it represents a few things I personally could never support 1) failure to succeed (in creating a matte paint), 2) conformity (to a trend people don’t understand the history behind), 3) greed of auto companies (I’ll bet you anything this paint costs less to manufacture than other paints)
I agree that it appears Audi started that trend with the Nardo grey - I agree that some colors are nicer but I still find it looks great. I can't tell you how many people told I was so boring for owning a white car and how lifeless it looks (lol) - To each their own and we all see beauty threw our own eyes and such. To me, if Lexus offered this color on their pallet and charged a 2000$ premium for that paint, I would be on board to say why would anyone pay that much more for the color only (white is only 500$ for example) but the LE offers more for the other goodies it offers. That being said, that is why I question why would anyone would pay a 20-30k markup just for this car, I feel the uniqueness and goodies are factored into the delta in the MSRP now mind you, people are paying a markup just for the "premium" trim. To me, if a dealer charges a 5K markup for the "premium" trim, the markup for the LE should also be 5K. In other words, if you are going to be greedy, be consistently greedy.

Originally Posted by IssaV8
I'll add to the white car photodumps as soon as I can get a hold of mine.. few more weeks... the anticipation!
I can't wait to see yours too - Us white IS lovers all count on you guys to fulfill our passion for the white IS 500. I need more pics of the bulge's frontal view (That didn't sound politically correct)!! And anticipation is far more enjoyable than constipation (lol)
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (12-29-21), IssaV8 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 09:52 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

If they offered the LE in red or blue,. I would have gotten an LE in red or blue. The main reason I wanted an LE is the interior.

​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
Racer00J (12-29-21), wthrman2 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 10:09 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

The white is amazing. I still don’t understand how a matte gray—which is basically the color of primer—became a trendy paint job on all these different brands of cars, to the point where people are willing to pay thousands of dollars extra for it
I consider the nardo gray trend as one of the biggest absurdities in modern auto history. A true matte finish (like what you see with wraps) done as a paint job is extremely expensive and difficult, so the next closest thing car mfrs could do to emulate matte was to use a flat primer color with a gloss clear coat. Voila. Millions of people duped. Well maybe not, but some still buy it. Why anyone would choose this color over a beautiful Lexus metallic finish I’ll never understand...
I'd still like to see Incognito in person because I suspect it has more depth than Nardo gray. Pictures only tell you so much afterall.

For me I typically associate these colors with trucks - my own fault. First time I ever saw any variation of these "wet cement" grays were on F-150s. I was at a Ford dealership and saw Lead Foot and Abyss on the lot. I thought they suited the trucks and looked cool... on trucks. Then I saw a Nardo gray RS7 some time later and my brain was like, "Wait... what happened?" I found out afterwards that Nardo had been out for 1-2 years prior to the Ford colors, but the damage was already done in my mind. Lol

I don't think they're terrible colors or anything like that, I guess it's the popularity of them on cars that blows my mind. I wouldn't intentionally pick wet cement over the other available color options I guess. Still hope to see Incognito one of these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racer00J:
IssaV8 (12-29-21), V8ISGreat (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 10:13 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I hear you on the LE interior.....I guess car companies will never be able to find a solution that will please everyone and I guess offering an exclusive to the IS color was the right approach - whether it is Incognito or something else, a decision had to be made and I guess we know the route they took. We can just count our blessing they have created and offered the IS 500 for us to own and enjoy....Offering this V8 at a time where everyone is running in the opposite direction is certainly bold and appreciated! Thank you Lexus America
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (12-29-21), IssaV8 (12-29-21), Kanpai (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 12:54 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

I think this is you @flighthalo !

Last edited by IssaV8; 12-29-21 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Corrected tag
The following 6 users liked this post by IssaV8:
arentz07 (12-31-21), Carolina50 (12-29-21), flighthalo (12-29-21), Joe Z (12-29-21), lisaj14 (12-31-21), wthrman2 (12-29-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-21, 01:45 PM
ExLexOwner
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Compromise
Haven't gotten mine yet (still very annoyed) but 600 miles of break in might take a while for some people.
600 miles of break in is nothing. I had 1,200 miles of break in on my M2C and that was rough.
Old 12-29-21, 01:56 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Is it just my luck these days are has communicating with dealerships become weird? Last week I was chatting and texting with a dealership about a premium IS 500. The sales person was very friendly and responsive and all. It was Xmas eve so I said let’s follow up the day after Xmas. They agreed and I did just that. Followed up the following day via email and txt. Crickets. Nothing. Left s
VM too. I had even confirmed they were working that day too. Just seems like several sales people have been dropping the ball with my inquiries. Wondering if anyone else has run into this recently?
The following 2 users liked this post by iceache925:
Brandonfu (12-29-21), Carolina50 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 02:00 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iceache925
Is it just my luck these days are has communicating with dealerships become weird? Last week I was chatting and texting with a dealership about a premium IS 500. The sales person was very friendly and responsive and all. It was Xmas eve so I said let’s follow up the day after Xmas. They agreed and I did just that. Followed up the following day via email and txt. Crickets. Nothing. Left s
VM too. I had even confirmed they were working that day too. Just seems like several sales people have been dropping the ball with my inquiries. Wondering if anyone else has run into this recently?
Yes. I was a thorn in about 3 dealerships' side till an allocation and have been tracking it on my own since it left Japan. I have to poke and prod for any updates but I try to schedule them around windows of when there should be an update; like when they are telling me processing should be complete. Day after that date, I will reach out and poke and prod till I get somebody and take it up to the GSM if needed. Crying baby gets the milk in this game it seems, unfortunately. It has been tiring.
The following 3 users liked this post by IssaV8:
Carolina50 (12-29-21), iceache925 (12-29-21), TipsyTonio (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 02:12 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

After going through the ringer trying to acquire my Kia Telluride for over a year and a half, I can tell you the reason why this is happening: It is because there are very few cars available, and when they finally do come in, the regular salespeople won't get the opportunity to sell them. The sales manager and financial dudes will be carefully plotting on how to sell these cars to the highest bidder. So unless you walk into the dealership with diamonds falling out of your butt, it is going to be hard to get their attention
The following 2 users liked this post by V8ISGreat:
Brandonfu (12-29-21), Vitveet (01-02-22)
Old 12-29-21, 02:16 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

After going through the ringer trying to acquire my Kia Telluride for over a year and a half, I can tell you the reason why this is happening: It is because there are very few cars available, and when they finally do come in, the regular salespeople won't get the opportunity to sell them. The sales manager and financial dudes will be carefully plotting on how to sell these cars to the highest bidder. So unless you walk into the dealership with diamonds falling out of your butt, it is going to be hard to get their attention
We showed up with donuts, lol. Can't quite afford diamonds and the placement sounds painful

But I agree. It is a very sucky situation and I think Lexus salespeople are also overwhelmed by overzealous customers like enthusiasts. We are quite different from the normal clientele- at least at my dealership
The following 5 users liked this post by IssaV8:
Carolina50 (12-29-21), flighthalo (12-29-21), iceache925 (12-29-21), V8ISGreat (12-29-21), wthrman2 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 02:17 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

uh, I guess… but then why even bother being so friendly and responsive from the get go just to go quiet. Seems super weird to me. They even emailed the spec sheets of two incoming premium editions. The industry is just really weird and I hope it simmers down to some kind of normalcy sooner than later.
The following 2 users liked this post by iceache925:
Carolina50 (12-29-21), V8ISGreat (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 02:22 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

uh, I guess… but then why even bother being so friendly and responsive from the get go just to go quiet. Seems super weird to me. They even emailed the spec sheets of two incoming premium editions. The industry is just really weird and I hope it simmers down to some kind of normalcy sooner than later.
When I went in to put a deposit on mine, I was told they emailed spec sheets to 6-7 other people that same morning- I bit the fastest. Maybe somebody took the bait real fast then they had nothing else to offer. Just a thought. Crappy they would just ghost you though.
The following users liked this post:
iceache925 (12-29-21)
Old 12-29-21, 02:26 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

I totally agree. And you are right...it is not a true matte color. Would you consider this GV70 to be matte?
Attached Thumbnails The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance-capture.jpg  

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance